unapproachable

January 9, 2013

People who don’t know my husband think he’s very unapproachable. One can attribute this to the fact he’s a very serious person by nature.

One can also attribute this to the fact that he’s married to me…and that doesn’t give him much to smile about.

24 degrees!

NYC: 24 degrees!

In any case, Ali’s been trying to change since his little cousin asked him, “Why do you always look so scary?”

And while I applaud my husband’s efforts to be friendlier, I think Ali took his attempts at change to a rather…inappropriate level last week.

From Top Left: Pasta at ABC Kitchen, Quinoa at Bryant Park Grill, Breakfast at Pershing Square, Best Food of the Trip at Tao

From Top Left: Pasta at ABC Kitchen, Quinoa at Bryant Park Grill, Breakfast at Pershing Square, Tao (Our favorite restaurant in NYC)

So there we were at the over-hyped Jean-Georges ABC Kitchen when Ali says to the waitress: “I really like the way your bright pink nail polish matches your pink watch.”

While I (obviously) have number of comments surrounding Ali’s compliment, I will bore you with just two:

1. Ali complemented another female…while at dinner with me.
2. My husband, who didn’t notice when I (inadvertently) colored my hair 3 shades lighter, managed to notice that our waitress’ nail polish and watch matched.

New Year's Eve in London

New Year’s Eve in London: At the London Eye, Our Hotel The Corinthia, At Midnight (I was half asleep), Fireworks in the Embankment area

I think the waitress also noted the weirdness of the situation because she muttered something along the lines of, “so nice of you to notice” before she disappeared. For the rest of the evening.

The takeaway here? It’s been 8 long years since I had a manicure (I’m not exaggerating). I’m thinking it might be time to splurge…if for no other reason than to receive a complement from my husband.

Don’t think I can do a pink watch though…

1. January 9, 2013 12:41 am

Haha that’s too funny…although I am not surprised that Ali came off sliiightly creepy to the waitress ;)! I definitely think you should milk Ali while you can- if not a pink watch, you might as well treat yourself to some watch. But hey, ymaybe it’s better to start small and go for that manicure instead! And looking at my nails, I probably should go for one soon too ;)!

On a separate note, I really want to eat at ABC Kitchen- everything looks yum!

• January 9, 2013 7:04 pm

ABC Kitchen is highly overrated Khushboo…I can give you much better NYC restaurant recs if you are interested!

2. squigglefloey permalink
    January 9, 2013 2:16 am

Hahha. Boyyysss. Hope you’re doing well 🙂 Still waiting for you to let me babysit Maya! 😛

• January 9, 2013 7:04 pm

Happy New Year! Will definitely take you up on your babysitting offer. 🙂

3. January 9, 2013 2:58 am

I think Ali probably went over and over that line so many times that he convinced himself that it was the right thing to say – but hey, there now is a starting point. One question for you, what if Ali goes into this all guns blazing – realises ‘you know what – this is good’ how would you feel and where should the line be drawn.

Happy new year by the way and how was London?

• January 9, 2013 7:05 pm

Ali shouldn’t go “guns blazing” into anything. Trust me on that!

London was fantastic…didn’t want to leave. I hope to move there one day!

• January 10, 2013 3:45 am

I hope you do as it’s the place to be. I’m be moving offices and relocating to London from next week. This week is my last ‘full-working week’ in Leeds and from next Monday onwards – I’ll be working in London but some travel back to Leeds (including Weekends).

• January 10, 2013 8:58 am

So. Jealous. !!

• January 10, 2013 9:27 am

😉

4. January 9, 2013 3:47 am

Yes…clearly it is possible to go a bit too far in the opposite direction!! 😉

5. January 9, 2013 4:37 am

The male brain truly astounds me sometimes. I feel like I say that a lot. You definitely deserve a manicure after that!

• January 9, 2013 7:06 pm

It astounds me as well. The male brain and the child brain…both fully confuse me.

6. January 9, 2013 5:21 am

Reading Your blog makes me hungry…the food looks amazing!
    Oh, and after 8 years, I think you deserve a manicure 🙂

• January 9, 2013 7:07 pm

I just feel like it’s sort of a waste of time because they chip in about half a day! At least my pedicures have some staying power…

7. January 9, 2013 5:25 am

Haha, at least it was a pretty innocuous compliment! And I’m convinced that men just do not notice hair changes. Unless it’s some radical change (like bangs or a huge chopping) it just does not register for them.

• January 9, 2013 7:07 pm

I could chop 5 inches off my hair and I guarantee Ali won’t notice. It’s the weirdest thing!

8. January 9, 2013 5:26 am

My other half’s observational skills are exactly NONE. He tries to notice things (like yesterday he said to me at dinner,”You look nice. That’s not what you had on earlier is it?” But actually it’s exactly what I had on earlier. Yoga pants. Tank top. I look nice? What the what. You should go for the hot pink nail polish and see what happens.

• January 9, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey…yoga pants and tank tops are a mainstay around here. And I think they look great on everyone!

But I totally get what you’re saying. Their “epiphanie” happens at the weirdest moments.

9. January 9, 2013 5:33 am

Why stop at the manicure? Go for a full spa day. If he comments on the splurge, just say you wanted to make sure he noticed. 😉

As chatty and giggly as I can be with groups of friends, when in a new situation, or meeting new people for the first time, I’ve been told I come off as a bit unapproachable. I feel bad because I’m not stone cold. I’m just nervous…

• January 9, 2013 7:09 pm

One day we will meet Amy and I will judge this for myself! But I have a feeling you are totally approachable…

10. seana permalink
    January 9, 2013 5:39 am

1st off: Who matches their nail polish to their watch? Or is it vice-versa (I haven’t worn a watch in years nor can remember when I last had a manicure).
    2ndly: My husband never notices my hair either. He says it looks nice when I come home but only because he knows I was out getting it done He probably couldn’t tell you the color it was.
    Men. What we do do without them 🙂

• January 9, 2013 7:09 pm

So I was confused by the matching thing as well but was hesitant to say anything in case a reader owns a pink watch. 🙂

11. January 9, 2013 6:26 am

Haha! I love how men take things to the extreme. I’m with everyone else, treat yourself, Ameena! And don’t just stop at a manicure. 🙂

• January 9, 2013 7:09 pm

You are totally right. I need a whole other vacation. Solo!

12. January 9, 2013 7:28 am

Haha, oh men. I don’t think I’m approachable at all, and I have very few excuses. I suppose I should start paying more attention to nail polish and watches as well.

• January 9, 2013 7:10 pm

I think Ali’s strategy might be a good one for you. 🙂

13. January 9, 2013 7:50 am

Lolz .. at least he managed 😉

I’ve come to the opinion that the 2% husbands who do care about such things (and really often) are better off belonging to someone else. Seriously two nice girlish comments by a man makes me go screaming…

• January 9, 2013 7:10 pm

I’m not jealous at all…this is a good thing. But the awkwardness was definitely something to contend with!

14. thedelicateplace permalink
    January 9, 2013 8:18 am

i get the unapproachable thing too…prob bc i have permanent bitchface. hahaha oh ali…definitely sounds like it’s time for a manicure 😉 his treat!

• January 9, 2013 7:11 pm

I doubt you have a bitchface! I think I’ve mastered that one though…

15. January 9, 2013 8:34 am

Maybe you should go really wild and get a pedicure that matches an ankle bracelet (disclaimer: I do not support ankle bracelets)

• January 9, 2013 7:11 pm

I do not support ankle bracelets either…unless I’m at an Indian wedding and even then!

16. January 9, 2013 10:44 am

I would implement some changes too if little kids told me I was scary. Sometimes it’s as simple as putting a smile on your face. I always sit near the front of the congregation in church and when listening to the speakers I’ve realized I have a scowl on my face, even when I am loving their talk. I think I am just concentrating on what they are saying and not realizing how I look to them. So now I have to consciously remind myself to smile at them or else they’re going to think their talk is horrible.

Your eats look great.

• January 9, 2013 7:12 pm

Sometimes I see candid shots of myself and I wonder why I have such a strange expression! I guess we all do that at some point…

17. January 9, 2013 10:46 am

Very funny! I love the photo of you and Ali on New Year’s eve. London sounds like fun. I would love to visit. Have a great day, Ameena!

• January 9, 2013 7:12 pm

Thank you! London is amazing…I highly recommend it!

18. January 9, 2013 11:15 am

He He, and it did not stop him from looking scary still (per cousin)… Smile goes a long way Ali 🙂

• January 9, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes they really do…now I feel the need to smile more often!

19. January 9, 2013 11:48 am

Creepy and hilarious! Although props for noticing someone’s nail color. I mean really, who does that?! 🙂 Glad you guys had a good time regardless. The food looks FANTASTIC!

• January 9, 2013 7:13 pm

I don’t think we ate anything better than the amazing stuff that comes out of your kitchen….I’m hoping for an invitation one of these days!

20. January 9, 2013 11:51 am

Haha.. I think Ali just got a little confused, but I will play the guilty card to Ali constantly.
    I’ve never had mani-pedi ever (true story), because I’m thinking, as long as they are clean & neat, I’m good… 🙂

• January 9, 2013 7:14 pm

I’ve had pedicures (a must here in LA where we wear sandals all the time) but manicures are kind of a waste because they chip so quickly!

21. Pri permalink
    January 9, 2013 12:37 pm

I saw your New Years Eve pictures and they look so much like my own I had to do a double take. Europe knows how to put up the lights for the holidays.

• January 9, 2013 7:14 pm

Were you in London as well? Did you see the fireworks near the Embankment area? How funny!

22. January 9, 2013 1:13 pm

That’s quite funny and I can relate. But my husband is friendly by nature and he doens’t realize when he is being ‘too’ friendly. Innocently of course! (:

23. January 9, 2013 1:15 pm

Lol..did not see that coming from Ali but you know this is a perfect time to splurge like other readers have suggested. Enjoy while you can 🙂 btw all those food is making me hungry!

24. Taking On Magazines permalink
    January 9, 2013 1:27 pm

First thought, and I’m sure someone else caught this, at least he’s looking at someone else’s hands. It’s not like he said her boobies were pert and bouncy or something. Kudos to him. Second, you should have a manicure just because you deserve it. 🙂

• January 9, 2013 7:16 pm

So so true. If he’d mentioned the words “pert” or “bouncy” it would have been instant-divorce. LOL

25. sana permalink
    January 9, 2013 1:48 pm

HAHAHA that made me laugh out loud. I’m MISERABLE with a cold, so thank you! one of your best posts 🙂 the pink nailpolish/watch compliment was so awesome!!
    ‘One can also attribute this to the fact that he’s married to me…and that doesn’t give him much to smile about’ Oh Ameena!

• January 9, 2013 7:16 pm

Oh no Sana…so sorry you aren’t feeling well! I hope that you get better soon. So glad I could make you laugh in the meantime! And welcome back. 🙂

26. January 9, 2013 2:14 pm

Ehhh, I say treat yourself to a manicure in any color you choose and buy Ali the pink watch. He’s clearly drawn to the color. 😉

• January 9, 2013 7:16 pm

Ali with a pink watch? It would certainly clash with the orange sweater…

27. January 9, 2013 2:15 pm

Manicures are awesome even without compliments! Go for it – you have nothing to lose!

• January 9, 2013 7:17 pm

I have nothing to lose except time…I really need one but somehow I can’t sit still long enough!

28. January 9, 2013 2:17 pm

LOOOOL Ali is hilarious…haha. You should jot down the types of compliments he gives you and discuss them with him…maybe give a few pointers on how…you want him to compliment you or others lol…anyway Hope your having a good year so far! hugs to maya….

• January 9, 2013 7:17 pm

Pointers on compliments? I love it.

Happy New Year to you too Eva!

29. January 9, 2013 3:25 pm

Too funny! Haha, men are mysterious creatures.

30. January 9, 2013 5:01 pm

On the other hand (no pun intended) it would be far worse to have him complimenting other women when you are NOT there.

• January 9, 2013 7:18 pm

You unintended pun is cracking me up right now…

And who knows what he’s doing when I’m not around??

31. January 9, 2013 5:25 pm

Wow, that certainly sounds strange, coming from Ali!! But then he was probably looking at the food and hence noticed her hands :-)). Now that he’s started making an effort, you should celebrate with a mani-pedi!!

• January 9, 2013 7:18 pm

Well she was filling his water glass when he said it so good point!

32. January 9, 2013 9:31 pm

if you went got the beets salad at ABC kitchen he could’ve said the watch matched that too…

33. Asuma permalink
    January 9, 2013 11:33 pm

Ali’s hilarious 😀 But a pink nail polish with pink watch would be…yeah, too much 😛

34. January 9, 2013 11:57 pm

Wow…that is a bit awkward!! How did the rest of the evening go?

• January 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Poor girl disappeared but aside from that the rest of the evening went fine! 🙂

35. January 10, 2013 8:38 am

You think ABC is over-hyped? Let’s chat.
    And you get the neon mani, I’ll send you the “flashy” watch.

• January 10, 2013 6:49 pm

I know you like ABC and I am surprised…the food is SO rich and greasy. I was not a fan!

36. January 10, 2013 9:27 am

Tell Ali that being unapproachable is a good thing. I seem to be way too approachable and it makes random people feel the need to tell me weird, and highly inappropriate things. Then, a couple weeks ago, I was waiting to be buzzed into someones apartment building, and one of the neighbors by the front door held his dog over his patio railings and said, “here, pet him.” Honestly, I would far rather have Ali’s problem.

• January 10, 2013 6:49 pm

You have some very strange neighbors…I swear the stories you tell about them! Nuts.

37. January 10, 2013 10:50 am

My neighbor was so intimidated by my husband she always said “vous” instead of “tu” – and they were the same age!

• January 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Is he intimidating? Or was the neighbor just easily intimidated?

38. January 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Oh, Ali (shaking my head). Don’t know what you got right in front of you. Tell him to maybe find a middle ground? Sounds like he is being “overly friendly” now. Don’t people have any sense of “the middle ground.”

Ameena, no pink watch. Puh-lease, sister. Plus, Ali should be noticing how beautiful you are with or without a manicure. You look like a movie star.

• January 13, 2013 8:10 pm

A movie star? You may just be the nicest, kindest person on this planet. Thank you for the compliment!

And Ali doesn’t know anything about “middle ground.” It is not in his vocabulary!

39. January 10, 2013 7:28 pm

I am a huge supporter of serious people only because I am one myself. The more one scowls, the better.

My husband told me I as fat (don’t get me started) and then didn’t notice when I lost 15 pounds. But he did notice when I paid $50 for a gel manicure.

• January 13, 2013 8:11 pm

This comment reminds me of my husband’s mention of my “fat thighs.” Sigh….

40. January 10, 2013 8:56 pm

I don’t know….I’m sure you can find a really nice rose/gold Rolex to match!

41. January 10, 2013 10:29 pm

LOL… you are hilarious! Love your sense of humor. I can’t even imagine you in hot pink nailpolish, but you can carry a hot pink coat. 🙂 Ali is too funny, I guess that’s what I should expect after 12 years. OMG, eventhough you didn’t love ABC Kitchen, I still have to try it, it’s quite popular. London NYE looks amazing… I need to go abroad one year for New Years. So fun seeing you last week. Hopefully next time we can try a fun place when you’re in town. 🙂

• January 13, 2013 8:12 pm

So fun seeing you last week as well….and I hope you have better luck with ABC Kitchen. Not sure where we went wrong!

42. January 11, 2013 12:56 am

Hmm, get the manicure only if you like getting your nails done-I myself am not the biggest fan of having people mess with my hands…but I say DO seize the opportunity for some wrist candy-whether pink or not:)

• January 13, 2013 8:12 pm

I don’t enjoy manicures….I find sitting patiently difficult!

I know this must be shocking. 🙂

43. January 11, 2013 10:46 am

This is hilarious. I want to meet your husband just as much as I want to meet you just to see this “infamous” Ali!!!! Hahahahahaha. You look great in that picture Ameena! Have a great weekend friend!!!

Shauna xoxoxo

• January 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Thank you Shauna! I would love to meet you as well! We are too close not to at some point. 🙂

44. January 12, 2013 8:22 pm

With Ali’s smile widening in every new pic, it is getting increasingly difficult to take sides! Those food pic.s look delectable! Totally inspiring – made carrot pineapple spiced up cake – turned out super yumm! Sent you some ‘virtual’ helpings 😀 😀 Hey! it IS the thought that counts, yeh?

• January 13, 2013 8:13 pm

I could use more than a “virtual” helping…sounds delicious! 🙂

45. January 13, 2013 10:10 am

Hi new reader here.
    Well men can be sooo surprising.
    My husband is quite a bit like that–Im glad to know that Im not the only wife who can go unnoticed by the hubby–Nooffense 😉

• January 13, 2013 8:14 pm

None taken! And thanks for the comment and for reading Z. 🙂

46. January 13, 2013 6:01 pm

It must have been an awkward situation to say the least…I don’t blame the waitress for disappearing :P!

• January 13, 2013 8:14 pm

I don’t blame her either….I kind of wanted to disappear myself!

47. January 20, 2013 2:13 pm

That quinoa looks fantastic! Really good eats!

48. January 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Ha ha ha…..a manicure is certainly called for 😆

49. May 2, 2015 12:07 am

Currently it looks like WordPress is the top blogging platform available right now.

(from whhat I’ve read) Is that what you’re using