a folder for wires

March 7, 2011

Ali just got back from a business trip a few days ago…and can you guess what the first thing I said to him was?

“For crying out loud Ali, turn over! You’re snoring again.”

And the second thing?

“You do realize that the blender you are pretending to wash needs to be completely dis-assembled in order to get it properly clean?”

And the third thing?

“I hope you didn’t forget that you have to drop Maya to school this morning? Or did you?”

Immediately after I said this, 3 things came to mind:

1. My God I’m a nag.
  2. I don’t even want to be around me half the time.
  3. It’s no wonder the poor guy disappears to one of his alleged conventions in suspicious locations like New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Mexico, every chance he gets.

So you’d think I’d keep my mouth shut right? Or at least say something nice? But nope, this is the fourth thing that came out of my mouth:

“I am confounded by 99% of what you do. But my confusion just hit a new high when I saw this.”

I have no idea why a wire would merit a file folder but all I can really conclude is that my nagging is what fuels Ali’s obsession with wires and cables.

Any other insights?

1. March 7, 2011 1:02 am

haha wires lolz… poor soul

2. March 7, 2011 3:46 am

You may be on to something. I feel my blogging is inversely related to my husband’s mood. Sometimes “re-entry” is rough. Other times being nice is rough. I know I save my daggers for those I love most.

3. March 7, 2011 4:46 am

This is nosy, but I’m curious as to what was in that folder. Actual wires? Actually don’t tell me; it’ll ruin my imagination ; )

• March 7, 2011 8:50 am

The folder was empty! That’s why it was even stranger to me…

4. March 7, 2011 6:02 am

We all go through seasons of sleeping through our blessings, and you are pretty insightful. You don’t need our input. The sign of integrity is admitting your faults, seeking forgiveness and then speaking kindness into the world. You are such an asset to this place.

5. March 7, 2011 6:34 am

Hmm, that folder is way to small. 😉

Are there actually wires in there? Haha.

6. March 7, 2011 6:39 am

Haha, must be a guy thing?

I can be such a nag too, I don’t even mean to be but then I listen to myself and I have to take a step backwards and realize just how good I really do have it! : )

Happy Monday!

7. March 7, 2011 7:08 am

hahaha, maybe wire stands for wiring money?? If not—no clue. lol

8. March 7, 2011 7:23 am

I am with Liz, maybe the folder is for bank wires to an off shore account where he is stashing money in order to later buy his wife something dazzling. Something that says hey, sorry about the snoring and the blender washing ineptitude.

But……..being that he is male and therefore obsessed with anything that has a cord or charger, it is probably a folder for wires.

9. March 7, 2011 7:42 am

Oh dear.

My husband refuses to get rid of a box of old computer wires/cables/crap because he might *need* it. Um yeah. No.

10. March 7, 2011 8:01 am

Omg! When I first read your post, I read the title as “A Folder for WIVES” and thought, “pooh, this is going to be a fun post”. Then I realized when I saw the folder that your titled read wires and not wives. I guess the situation could’ve been a lot worse? Thank God for wires? And I nag nag nag hubby all the time. It’s my job ;-). Hope you, Maya, and your wire obsessed hubby had a great weekend, my dear.

• March 7, 2011 8:48 am

I love this…the idea of Ali collecting his “wives” in a file folder would have been hysterical!

11. March 7, 2011 8:03 am

OMG! Pooh = oooh. Stupid autocorrect!

12. March 7, 2011 8:57 am

I really don’t get that folder – unless like the other comments said – it’s for wiring money. Then, I would be super suspicious about these conventions! LOL!

13. March 7, 2011 9:07 am

This folder is truly baffling. No one could help themselves in your position.

14. March 7, 2011 9:09 am

I just felt like I saw my mind through the mirror.

P.S. Don’t try to make sense of that sense.

15. March 7, 2011 9:10 am

My husband doesn’t have a file for wires, but he does have a few big boxes. I have no idea what they are all for but he does and refuses to get rid of them. Just in case you know.

16. March 7, 2011 10:40 am

Maybe wire tranfers to a secret account and that’s how he pays for his mysterious trips?

17. March 7, 2011 10:43 am

My husband has an entire filing cabinet full of wires, cables, other crap I don’t care about, *just in case* he needs it one day!

18. March 7, 2011 11:10 am

LOL, a wire file? Mr P has so many wires about that I have just thrown some out. He never notices, which proves how important they are.

19. March 7, 2011 11:20 am

this is so funny. please have a conversation about this folder with him and share the findings with us.

20. March 7, 2011 11:47 am

Perhaps he’s keeping secret invisible wires in there that you can’t see because you don’t understand him. Oh yeah, that’s deep.

21. March 7, 2011 11:55 am

Oh, I so know how you feel. I cringe when I catch myself saying “nagging” type things – so I cringe quite a bit 😉 What is it with men and file folders? And don’t they know you need a box for wires, not a folder? Sigh

22. Leslie permalink
    March 7, 2011 12:05 pm

I still stand by my personal view of you: smart, charming, beautiful, gracious, loving, and built like a model (legs built for a mini-skirt and thigh-high boots). Ali’s lucky to have you!

As for the wires, this is apparently a whole new universe that women don’t have a passport to visit. When I had my big flatscreen tv wallmounted in my bedroom, the technician gave me this entire impromptu lecture on the cutting edge technology for wires. It’s a burgeoning field, driven by data downloads, speed, and the type of media. It’s a great excuse to them to charge you additional $$$, too!. For example, HD tv needs different wires. Great wiring enhances your “experience.” Blahblahblah. Okay, I get it: cutting edge, high-techy, gearhead fodder. I just want to connect one piece of equipment to another. Ali’s job probably requires he be on the “leading edge” of these kinds of topics.

23. March 7, 2011 12:06 pm

haha great post!!! i bet ALI loves your nagging ameena!! keep it up lol…you should try for at least a week not to nag and see his reaction haha..he prob likes it when you do!

24. March 7, 2011 12:07 pm

Don’t ask. It’s probably not even worth hearing the story 😉

25. March 7, 2011 12:24 pm

haha men are weird that way. My boss made me label and file a whole bunch of envelopes for all the CDs we have laying around. It makes no sense.

26. March 7, 2011 12:37 pm

hmmm…maybe a list of what color goes where!? haha im giving him the benefit of the doubt……

27. March 7, 2011 1:05 pm

hahaha that is hilarious. you have a right to be a nag!

28. March 7, 2011 1:36 pm

wires…hmmmmm. i’m confounded too. is this what i have to look forward to when/if i get married? 😉

29. March 7, 2011 2:14 pm

haha…the blender situation happens at my place too. another pet peeve: when my husband empties his coffee press in the garbage and leaves splatter marks across the wall for me to clean up. (ugh…happens daily.) sorry mate, you got me on the folder. this might require further investigation.

30. March 7, 2011 3:13 pm

Wires? I’m so curious about what he intended to use that for. Or is it some kind of code word that only the techie nerds can understand?

31. ABCD permalink
    March 7, 2011 3:53 pm

HILARIOUS!!!

32. March 7, 2011 4:07 pm

I bet you two are love birds! And I doubt you’re a nag. 🙂

33. March 7, 2011 5:37 pm

oh my lands, boys and their files. my boyfriend and i had a conversation about what we would save if a wildfire was threatening and we had to leave. his top 3? computer, his filing cabinet, and his TV.

i’m glad the dog and i made the cut.

34. March 7, 2011 5:44 pm

Were there wires in there?? Or maybe it was a map of what wires went were? If he’s super type A I guess I could envision that 🙂

35. March 7, 2011 6:01 pm

I bet you two are total love birds! And I can’ t see you being a nag…you’re too funny!

36. March 7, 2011 6:50 pm

That “Wires” folder only serves to confirm my suspicion: That Ali is actually a robot.

And I thought Marcus was bad with his piles upon piles of Excel spreadsheets. That makes him look like he’s playing in the minor leagues.

37. March 7, 2011 8:57 pm

So…what did he say?! Why the file? I must know! 🙂
    And for the record: I still want to hang out with you even though your secret nagging is all out in the open and everything! 🙂

38. Rehana Rehman permalink
    March 8, 2011 1:12 am

OMG Ameena. I feel like this all the time. How does one tone down the nagging? I hate admitting it, but I feel like it’s part of our genetic makeup. I don’t think we can ever escape it. Great post!

39. Kath (My Funny Little Life) permalink
    March 8, 2011 4:12 am

That definitely was the perfectly warm welcome, Ameena! 😉 Let him have his wires, though. Wires are rather harmless, other men do worse.

40. March 8, 2011 4:15 am

Honestly, being a computer geek myself, I wish we had a listing of what all of our friggen’ wires were for. We also have a box full of the, “just because,” and at this point probably no idea where any of them went or should go; what kind of electronic, etc. I think it’s a great idea. I think the fact that the folder is empty is another matter.

41. March 8, 2011 6:18 am

Hmmm, you got me on that one. My husband likes ‘wires’ too. We have a ‘wire’ box at home that he highly values. It’s all organized and everything. It’s like the ONLY thing of his own that he has organized w/o my doing.

I’m anxious to hear what that folder is for. Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂

42. March 8, 2011 7:00 am

Hmm, i’ve never said any of those things! actually? my husband says many of those to ME! No wonder I run a lot?!

43. March 8, 2011 7:45 am

ha! I have days like those where I catch myself and then I just can’t stop nagging at my hubby! and then I want to apologize and just can’t get the words outta my mouth!

44. March 8, 2011 10:31 am

Ok, that is so funny. How did that manage to get a folder. I could see a drawer filled with wires, but a folder is a tad bit too 2-d for wires.

45. March 8, 2011 10:38 am

i think having a folder for wires is not a bad idea. i mean there are so many wires it would freak me out if it was my job to manage those wires in our home. Thankfully it’s not.

46. March 8, 2011 12:40 pm

This made me laugh because I just realized last night how much I started nagging my fiance the day after we got engaged a week ago, when I didn’t do it before, haha!

47. March 8, 2011 3:35 pm

Wires? Maybe he wants to have one wire for all his technology like one tv remote… not sure if they make them… or he wire tapped someone’s house or phone line like yours and forgot to hide all the evidence…. or he decided to become a funambulism and wants to know which wire to choose… or he ordered wired magazine and forgot the d, or decided it did not need a folder in the middle of writing it.

Isn’t he a techie why do you still have file folders?

48. March 8, 2011 8:24 pm

Wires…hmmmmm..quite the folder to have. I can only guess that he is so minutely organized, that he keeps a folder for his wires too ;). My husband actually annoys me when he comes back from trips. I know that is not a nice thing to say and I should be loving and all that, but yeah, that never happens.

49. March 8, 2011 8:49 pm

How strange! That would drive me nuts! I think I would rattle on and on and on asking about the folder because I live in some la-la land where I think everything must have a purpose.

50. March 8, 2011 9:42 pm

Maybe he intended it to be like a catalog of all of his wires? lol please find out what he was thinking and let us know!

51. March 8, 2011 9:55 pm

I tend to nag too…and the wire folder would have thrown me off too (mostly because Ryan is terrible with wires, but still..) I’m trying to get better about nagging, but it is a hard battle!

52. March 8, 2011 10:17 pm

Just one question: is the folder meant to hold the wires? ‘Cause I’m thinking it would get pretty full pretty quick…

53. March 8, 2011 10:39 pm

Surely its ‘wires’ about money…. you can wire money right?!!! 🙂 Gotta be 🙂

54. March 9, 2011 7:34 am

Too funny! I would be worried where all of the wires are if it’s empty 😉 Assuming his pension for electronics, maybe a folder for wiring schematics of layouts? Strange indeed…
    Hope you are having a great week

55. March 9, 2011 12:36 pm

I’m a big time nag! The other day I was nagging my husband and then realized I say the same things to my husb that my mom says to my dad. haha

as for the wires folder-is ali some top secret agent “wiring cables” a la wikileaks? LOL 😉

56. March 9, 2011 2:51 pm

Speaking of wires, do you guys have those nifty color coded velcro tabs separating your wires? Now there’s something worthy of a folder 🙂

57. March 9, 2011 3:01 pm

Boys would lose their heads if they didn’t have us around to keep them in line. I’m aware I’m single while saying this, but I’m still trying to take care of my boss and keep him under control… lol

58. March 9, 2011 3:02 pm

Ha! I’m getting to be more of a nag now that I’m married. I’ll bring up the most random shit in the middle of a conversation, like “Hey babe the car needs oil, did you pick up that toilet paper yesterday, and where’s Clint’s flea and tick medication?” Poor poor soul.

59. March 9, 2011 5:29 pm

That’s why I never want a husband…I’d nag the crap out of him. I just know it.

Have you asked Ali about the folder yet? 🙂

60. March 9, 2011 8:49 pm

Perhaps it’s wires of funds going into his secret bank account in Switzerland?

61. March 10, 2011 4:04 pm

a wire folder!! Either he secretly has money in the Cayman Islands somewhere (to spend on you of course) or he has notes on how to improve his wire-habits in there 🙂

62. March 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Girl, you crack me up! That file photo had me rollin’ on the floor.

1. The White Elephant Says, “Thank You!” | My Funny Little Life