LV101

October 11, 2010

My bag thanks you for all your well wishes!  I’m pleased to report that after a ridiculous amount of scrubbing with a variety of your suggestions, my bag is recuperating in its dust cover, far, far away from ketchup, Maya, and her uncanny ability to wreak havoc wherever she goes.

After I finish this post Maya is attending the first in a series of mandatory classes, this one is entitled LV101 -Reasons Why One Must Not Eat or Drink Around a Louis Vuitton Bag

In other news, Maya somewhat redeemed herself because I found out that the kid can actually make pasta.  From scratch.

Making pasta clad in a robe and with wet hair ... just like the Italians used to do.

We came to an agreement – I would spare her life if she shared her top-secret recipe.  Naturally, she agreed.

Egg Pasta

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 t salt
1/2 T olive oil
1/4 t warm water

1. Place flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Break the egg into the center.
2. Add salt, oil, and water and beat with a fork. Beat until the dough is stiff. Use your hands to knead into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out and but into strips. (Attention All Moms – break out the cookie cutters and let your kids go wild making shaped pasta. This project is a great way to kill 25 minutes!)
4. Cook in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Guess what?  This stuff tastes just like Barilla!  I was really shocked!  Even more shocking is the notion that Maya literally brings something to the table.  Something other than dirty fingers that is.

See Mom...clean hands! For once.

Imagine that.

1. October 11, 2010 3:10 am

I’m glad the bag is in recovery! lol

I’ve always wondered how easy it would be to make my own pasta- not because that’s how I’d always do it from then on out, but it’d be fun to try nonethess….

2. October 11, 2010 3:21 am

My dad and I used to do this when I was little! Oh man it takes me back…

Do you think any type of flour would work?

• October 11, 2010 10:50 am

I think any type of flour should be fine! I might try whole wheat flour next…

3. October 11, 2010 4:08 am

Wow. You’re own little pasta maker at home. How fortunate. I’m thinking there’s a business opportunity there. 😉

4. October 11, 2010 4:29 am

This is so great! I can see kids going CRAZY over this!

5. October 11, 2010 4:31 am

I agree with Di. Market that baby!

What a view you have from your apartment – clearly it’s a high-riser. Do you live right in the heart of the city? Do you like that? Drive or walk everywhere?

• October 11, 2010 10:54 am

I love living where I can actually walk to things! Some days I don’t even get in the car. I grew up in the suburbs and hated the quiet – I need noise and people around me.

6. October 11, 2010 4:38 am

That seems so easy. And I love her little shapes. So cute!

7. October 11, 2010 4:51 am

Awww, what a great project for a kid…or an adult!! Look so easy!

8. October 11, 2010 5:30 am

that is such a cute idea for a food project! i should try this with olivia sometime!!

9. October 11, 2010 5:39 am

It’s official, Maya is a more advanced chef than I am. I have never made pasta but am excited to know it’s as simple as you say it is. I can’t wait to give it a try! I think the heart shapes will be a total hit 🙂

10. October 11, 2010 5:56 am

Maya is a total superstar, lol! I love the little shapes, that’s too cute!

11. October 11, 2010 6:08 am

aww Maya is too cute making little heart shaped pastas! You need to send her over here, I would never have the patience to do that!
    That sounds like a fun project I could do with my little sister- she loves stuff like that. Do you think it would work with an egg replacer?! My mom doesn’t allow eggs in the home…

• October 11, 2010 10:52 am

I’ve never used an egg replacer but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work – all it needs is something to bind it together…

12. October 11, 2010 6:40 am

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh a pasta kitchen project.

were you able to eat some???

you know what I am dying to make???
    gnocchi.

DYING!

nothing beats fresh pasta…ever
    well, perhaps fresh gnocchi!

mmmmm

13. October 11, 2010 6:43 am

Maya can come make me pasta. I will hide all my good purses…and good shoes 😉

14. October 11, 2010 6:45 am

Maya is going to super cook. Some kitchen project will produce eatable

15. October 11, 2010 7:22 am

I always thought making pasta would be more…well more…impossible! But it doesn’t sound that difficult. Just a matter of taking that extra time to do it. Incidentally we had spaghetti yesterday with Barilla!!

16. October 11, 2010 8:03 am

go maya!!!

i happened to watch a simpsons episode the other day where marge buys an expensive handbag and gets shrimp cocktail sauce on it. thought of you!

17. October 11, 2010 8:04 am

So this is what I like: a pasta recipe that doesn’t make me want to run in the other direction…I get so intimidated, so it was delightful to see Maya and her pasta creations. Also delightful? That beautiful out of your window! My, I’m jealous. And of course, Maya is pretty darn cute too.

18. October 11, 2010 8:20 am

Ooh, cool- I am going to keep this recipe in mind! Props to Maya!

19. October 11, 2010 8:20 am

and maya lives to see another day 🙂

20. October 11, 2010 8:42 am

I meant to ask you about the LV. I am so glad this story had a happy ending… with pasta.

21. October 11, 2010 8:55 am

Does the view in front of your house ever freak you out?!?!!? That must be crazy looking down on everyday!

• October 11, 2010 1:03 pm

We are not scared of heights so none of us get freaked out by the view!

22. eatmovewrite permalink
    October 11, 2010 10:16 am

Holy cow. The view behind your little girl is amazing. I didn’t realize you live downtown! Wow!

23. October 11, 2010 10:23 am

Glad your purse is in recovery. It must have been an excruciating procedure. lol.

Who knew Maya had a hidden talent…pasta maker. 🙂 I like the little shapes. hehehehe… reminds me of those canned soups with the different shaped pastas. Oh, the memories.

24. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    October 11, 2010 11:42 am

Glad your bag survived!! What a relief eh?

That pasta sounds awesome. I tried making my own pasta once . . . it didnt work out so well.

25. October 11, 2010 11:47 am

Ooh great pasta making idea! Glad to hear your LV bag survived Maya’s mayhem!! She is a doll though 🙂

26. October 11, 2010 11:54 am

I can’t wait to make pasta with my little boy!!!!! This is such a cute cooking activity, thanks for sharing!! 🙂

27. October 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I’m relieved that her life has been spared! Making noodles is so much fun too. I’ll have to try this with my sticky fingered girl.

28. Kath (Eating for Living) permalink
    October 11, 2010 12:49 pm

I’m happy you could rescue your bag!

This little story was again so lovely to read! What a great idea to have Maya make shaped paste with cookie cutters! 😀

29. October 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Hilarious! But only because it seems to be better now 🙂 So happy to have found your site! Thanks for swinging by mine, too!

30. October 11, 2010 1:34 pm

ummm your view?!? haha

nice recipe maya!

31. October 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Too funny, now that we can laugh about it. I’m glad your bag, you and Maya have recovered.

32. October 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Pasta = happy kids. In creation, and in mouth. Making pasta from scratch was a reward activity when I taught – the kids would earn a certain number of marbles in a jar, then get to design their own lesson or choose what they wanted to do. Pasta making always came up, but I think it’s ’cause I encouraged them to get dirty, and throw a little flour around. Parents (and janitors) loved me 🙂

33. October 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Pasta making is such a fun process 🙂

34. October 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Thank God your bag can be fixed. Let’s be serious. It was An Issue.

Loving what Maya adds to the group with her pasta making skills…I may have to channel her style and action something like that in my kitchen soon!

35. Janelle permalink
    October 11, 2010 7:06 pm

I’m happy that your post didn’t start with RIP LV.
    And I’m off to make pasta. Mmm….

36. October 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Glad to hear your LV bag is cleaned 🙂 And I love how Maya making little pastas with cookie cutters. Looks cute! I should try this recipe..did you come up with it? Seems pretty easy and simple. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• October 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Maya actually brought this recipe home from school!

37. October 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Oh thank goodness. The LV drama had a good ending 🙂 Pasta is seriously good play dough is it not…, My mom had my brother & I into that sort of cooking on rainy wet days & Dad was never as impressed as we were about the little pasta animals we made, he was always a bit worried if our hands were clean enough, at the time I didn’t get it…., but now I think back…. lol

38. October 11, 2010 9:34 pm

First off, I am in love with your tags.
    Second, i used to make pasta all the time in culinary school and from that time on, i was so thankful I can just buy it for 99 cents at traders!

39. October 12, 2010 1:36 am

Lucky bag, it’s still got days left in it. Can I borrow Maya to teach me cooking, please? Took me nearly 3 decades to buy a packet of pasta and ‘cooked’ it!

40. October 12, 2010 4:55 am

I appears that Maya helps you in the kitchen a lot. I wouldn’t worry too much about the germs. After all, you gotta have some to get your immune system built up, right?

My main issue with making pasta has been not having one of those roller things, so being unable to get it thin enough, but to allow her to cookie-cut shapes would so totally be worth it. This is a GREAT idea.

You rock.

41. October 12, 2010 12:04 pm

maya is making pasta! so gourmet! i’d get her started early…then she can be in charge of cooking the family dinners 🙂

the cookie cuter shapes are so cute — what a great idea! much cooler to use to make pasta, instead of boring old sugar cookies.

42. October 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Wow, is that your apartment? What an amazing view!

43. October 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks for making me smile! Everytime I come here. 🙂

44. October 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Great that normalcy had returned to your household. Your girl was so sweet to make the pasta. Cookbook for kids is in the works perhaps?

45. October 13, 2010 2:57 am

Well, at least you found some use for that adorable child. Now you can turn her into a pasta-making child worker. I mean, really, what else would you have children for? I’m glad to hear the Louis Vuitton is resting peacefully and recuperating from it’s traumatic ketchup encounter.

46. October 13, 2010 5:19 am

Dear Ameena – Speaking of ‘Louie’ before I say anymore, I say this – Go rent LEAP YEAR the one with Any Adams – from redbox. Once you watch this “Throw it in the wash, it’ll be grand!” will take on a whole new meaning 🙂

Seriously, you will LOVE it especially after your own little Louie incident. Can’t wait to hear….

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandlfavors

PS – I must try the pasta with my 4 year old whom my mom has aptly named ‘tornado’!

• October 13, 2010 6:38 pm

Thank you for the suggestion Devaki! I am going to check it out. I am an Amy Adams fan! 🙂

47. October 13, 2010 8:01 am

Here in Germany, they roll those into thumb sized balls and boil them, then pan fry them in “gravy” which is really any sauce and sauerkraut. Sometimes the dough is basically mashed potato flour, though…interesting.
    I have to say that sometimes reading your blog makes me a bit jealous of the adventures you share with your daughter. What a blessing! Thank you for gifting the world with her.

• October 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Wow – that may just be the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me!! Thank YOU for appreciating me and my daughter…flaws and all!

48. October 13, 2010 9:57 am

thank god the lv is doing ok:) maya is such a cute pasta maker.

49. October 13, 2010 10:24 am

I’m glad the bag is okay! The pasta looks great!

50. October 13, 2010 3:09 pm

sweet deal! i always *joke* with my husband that our kids are going to work FOR us; cook dinner, mow the lawn, become professional athletes and buy us a house. glad to see you’re starting her young, Ameena. 🙂

51. October 13, 2010 8:19 pm

time to get creative with the pasta!! wow she should totally make some little pumpkin or ghost shaped pasta for halloween, that would be so fun! btw just realized the view you have from your kitchen- SO HIGH UP! do u ever get a little woozy from the height sometimes? when the sun shines in it must be so beautiful!

GOOD JOB MAYA! i wonder where she got her amazing pasta making skills from…. hehe ❤ ❤

• October 16, 2010 6:25 pm

We don’t get woozy from the height…lucky for us none of us are afraid of heights!

52. October 14, 2010 9:36 am

Great job Maya, I am very impressed…The pasta looks very good 🙂
    And I am pleased to here that Mom’s bag is making a comeback…Nice save!

53. Christina permalink
    October 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks for the recipe! It was deeeeee-licious!

54. October 15, 2010 10:46 am

serious yum-factr ameena! and seriously, how cute is your helper?!

55. October 15, 2010 3:48 pm

The little X’s and shapes remind me of cat food.
    Is that weird?

It would have to be pretty gourmet cat food though 😉