A Lesson On Interrupting

August 21, 2010

I decided to teach my daughter a lesson yesterday.

Yes, I know she is only 5.  Yes, I know I shouldn’t expect miracles from a 5-year-old.  But the truth is that my parents expected nothing less of me, and clearly I’ve learned nothing from their mistakes.

So yesterday I carted Maya around to school, to the library, and to swimming lessons.  I made her breakfast, lunch, dinner, and several snacks.  We baked a rather terrible Applesauce Cake.  I gave her a bath, I read her a bunch of books, and I quelled my sarcastic reply when she said, “My underwear is confusing me.”

This cake may have been the most disgusting thing to ever come out of my kitchen. To put that statement in perspective just know that I've had some massive failures come out of my kitchen.

And just for the record, if I don’t deserve a Mother of the Year for that last one, I don’t know who does.

But despite having my undivided attention for a solid 5 hours, Maya still insisted on interrupting the one 5 minute phone call I managed to fit in all day long.

So what did I do?  Well I did what any other loving mother would do – I told her to go away so my mom and I could continue to explore my anger at the ridiculous street closures Barack Obama’s visit caused earlier this week.

What can I say?  Talking to Mom is cheaper than paying a shrink.

After exhausting both my mom and the topic of street closures, I decided to turn on the TV so Maya could enjoy her 30-minutes of allotted TV time.  Or so she thought!  As soon as she was all comfy on the couch I sneaked up behind her and proceeded to pepper her with loud questions for the next 5 minutes.

“Stop it Mama!  Stop bothering me!”

Ali heard all the commotion and decided to join in on the fun.  Because that is how a dysfunctional family like ours “bonds.”

“Go away Dad, I’m watching TV.”

We kept up the fun for a bit longer until both Ali and I realized we were missing out on precious computer time.  “Okay Maya, I’m going to leave you alone now,” I said sternly, “but I hope you’ve learned your lesson.”

I walked back to my computer feeling rather proud of myself and called up a friend to tell her about my progressive parenting tactics.  I was so busy patting myself on the back that before I knew it half an hour went by, Imagination Movers ended, and Maya suddenly appeared to interrupt my phone call with a very pressing matter, “What do I do if I’m still hungry Mama?”

I might need to call my mom back for another session.

1. August 21, 2010 3:30 am

The patience you must have. I like this though. Little Maya will be resilient cause of your down-to-earth attitude.

• August 21, 2010 3:31 am

p.s..it would be cute to see a “typical day in the life” of you for a weekday and weekend. It seems you are crazy busy with work and Maya, I can’t imagine what a “typical” day would be like for you.

2. August 21, 2010 4:11 am

Yup, I feel your pain. Um, you wouldn’t, by any chance, have a desire to be a guest blogger while I’m in Chicago next week, would you? Either Monday or Friday? Just checking and won’t be offended by a harried, hassled, “don’t you see I have a kid?” no. Seriously.

3. August 21, 2010 4:16 am

Haha oh that’s wonderful. Sometimes people just can’t learn unless they get a taste of their own medicine; and if it doesn’t work the first time, just keep at it 😉

My parents never used that technique with me, but I use it on them all the time, and while they don’t seem to be too fond of it, it seems to work wonders. I bet they’re reconsidering encouraging me to pursue a psych degree…

4. August 21, 2010 4:48 am

i think i’ve said this before but you have the patience of a saint! i hope that if i ever have kids i can be as grounded as you are 🙂

5. August 21, 2010 5:20 am

Oh God girl. You are too much. It is so interesting to see your stories as a parent – I can’t even begin to imagine…and I wouldn’t be nearly as humorous about it 🙂

6. August 21, 2010 5:25 am

It’s her world, my dear. You’re just living in it…very cute post 😉

7. August 21, 2010 5:48 am

he he he… I would have done the same thing. She’ll get it one day. 🙂 I hope you have a great weekend- and not another baking fail!

8. August 21, 2010 6:14 am

Little Maya is boss in the house, let boss takes her time. We have to follow according to boss wish. It is usual day in a house dear.

9. traynharder23 permalink
    August 21, 2010 6:20 am

omg.

first, i HATED the street closures. BAH! BAH!

and second, love love love your little plan to get her back for interrupting. sounds like something Tracy the counselor would do. AHhhh the memories.

hope you’re having a great weekend! miss you guys!

10. August 21, 2010 6:22 am

Hahahaha, you sound a lot like MY mother, haha!! And let me tell you, we are seriously so close…we talk on the phone everyday!! And I mean, c’mon, look out how well I turned out, haha!! 🙂 Maya’s comment about her panties confusing her is hilarious!! I used to say “my panties are cracking me up.” Haha you know what that meant? Haha!! Like they were going up my crack like a wedgie, haha… I can never live that one down!! 😉

11. August 21, 2010 6:27 am

Ameena, that is too funny. This sounds a lot like some tactic my parents would have deployed during our younger days. In fact, my Dad was so put off by my sister’s lip piercing (she already had her eyebrow done) that he came home from work one day with a gigantic diamond stud in his hear and we begged him to take it out. He even wore it to parent-teacher interviews. (This, by the way, was before bling was hot for men… what a fashion-forward man!)
    Finally he took it out (it was jut a really convincing magnetic earring) but he asked us how we felt about our Dad parading around with strange holes and jewelry in his face, and then we couldn’t deny how it made him feel when we did the same. I think that was a huge victory for him!

• August 22, 2010 5:48 am

Jaya – your dad may just be my hero. I can’t imagine my Indian dad doing something as creative as this. He’d just send us to the garage or threaten us with a yard stick. Funny how I can laugh about it now!!

12. ~Jessica Zara~ permalink
    August 21, 2010 6:43 am

Hehe, I love that tactic!

I won’t be having kids myself but I admire those who have the patience to deal with them hugely: I don’t know how you have the energy!

~Jess~

13. August 21, 2010 7:07 am

Hey Ameena,
    I just found your blog recently…and I think it’s awesome! Just wanted to say that.
    And i think Maya is so lucky to have an awesome mother like you.
    🙂

14. August 21, 2010 7:11 am

My brother and I only got a half hour of TV time either and I imagine we would’ve been quite peeved if our mom had employed your strategy. But then again, as soon as the half hour was over, we would’ve pulled a Maya and started harassing our mom. I bet Maya and I see eye to eye on lots of things 🙂

15. August 21, 2010 7:12 am

Definitely an effective tactic- especially during the prized television time 🙂 I always crack up reading about the latest shenanigans with Maya.
    “My underwear is confusing me.” That’s a great one.

16. August 21, 2010 7:22 am

Oh this made me laugh out loud!

I will be happy to borrow Maya for a month so you can live uninterrupted. I think she’s adorable!

(Clearly I don’t have kids yet!)

17. August 21, 2010 7:27 am

I love your daughter…she is just as hilarious as you are! I am about to start nannying a 4 and 2 year old, and I’m certain I will have some stories to share over the next few months. She is precious, as are you, and I”m glad I get to glimpse into your lives.

• August 21, 2010 9:27 pm

I can’t wait to hear more about your nanny job…a two and four year old? You are a superstar. And I love your very sweet comment as always Monet!!

18. August 21, 2010 7:46 am

Since my mother passed away, I’ve had a shrink, I’ve had several….may I borrow your mom? will she charge me? I can pay her in private yoga lessons or food. Why was that cake so bad? And honestly, I think the lesson was good, but maya will not cease to interrupt you. All kids interrupt, and if they dont, something is usually wrong with them.

19. August 21, 2010 7:58 am

Your family is certainly not dysfunctional.I don’t know why but Maya’s antics remind me a lot of my brother. He pestered my Mum and I mean literally pestered her with questions when she spoke on the phone. I did not because I was the perfect child you know 😉

I so agree with you, Mum’s are our personal shrinks. If I am frustrated about something,I have to talk to her or else …well lets just leave it that!

20. August 21, 2010 7:58 am

hahahah! Good luck – kids never EVER learn not to interrupt. So. stinking. annoying.

21. Michelle permalink
    August 21, 2010 7:59 am

Hahaha great lesson! I heard the the road closures in LA were awful. We got sonic booms from fighter jets because an airplane accidently went into the 10 miles protective airspace in Seattle. lol.

Obooooma

22. August 21, 2010 8:02 am

I probably would have done the same thing. I am sure I am going to suck at being a parent because I would just love to teach a little one a lesson.

23. August 21, 2010 8:24 am

Haha, this was too funny. Well, at least you tried to teach Maya a lesson. And I imagine that you definitely deserve Mother of the Year for baking that cake with her. I would be the worst baking with a child. I get frazzled enough when it’s just me in the kitchen. lol

24. August 21, 2010 8:53 am

That is lol funny Ameena! I also loved the part where Ali joined in. I know I’m sounding really mean right now but sometimes kids just need a taste of their own medicine. When being civil doesn’t work on them, you just gotta try the “if you can’t beat them, join them” idea. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel and I’m sure you’ve tried every other way to teach her the lesson. I actually tried that on K and it backfired. She actually started answering all my questions with joy and started asking ones of her own. Haha. Have a great weekend, dear!

August 21, 2010 8:55 am

Haha I love this! Your posts never fail to make me laugh.
    I used to interrupt my mom all the time. I can still hear her saying “Leah, I am on the phone you will just have to wait”. Of course, I can still hear it because she still says it to me. I guess I never learned. I’m sure Maya will though! 🙂

26. August 21, 2010 9:37 am

Haha…kids have really short attention spans, so I’m not really surprised that she didn’t learn the first time. You may have gotten your message across for about 5 seconds, but then it was over. Patience is not something that comes naturally to me, so I’m not sure what to tell you about this. I could say to be patient with her, but that would make me a huge hypocrite, so hopefully your mom/shrink has some advice for you!

27. August 21, 2010 10:09 am

Lol! I love your parenting tactics! I sometimes do the same thing with my sister. But since we’re sibs, not mother-daughter, that can turn into a fistfight. Yes, I am 20-years old and will get into a smackdown with my 13-year old sister.

28. August 21, 2010 10:46 am

Hee hee! You totally crack me up! 🙂

I just read some statistic that calling your mom can have calming (hormonal) effects. So, vent away! 🙂 I love calling my mom.

29. August 21, 2010 10:48 am

LOL! “My underwear is confusing me.” Kids say the darnest things don’t they. Too funny. Amazingly you handle it pretty well, Ameena.

30. August 21, 2010 10:55 am

My parents used to do that to me all the time! If I did something annoying, they would just do it back to me. I remember I couldn’t walk in the parking lot without skipping/singing/being weird and they would always say “Just wait until you’re a teenager and I’m going to do that and embarass you…”

31. August 21, 2010 11:02 am

LOL!!! Oh Ameena!!! You crack me up. As much as Maya frustrates you, she adds such stories into your life, doesn’t she? A great lesson. I hope she learned! 🙂

32. August 21, 2010 11:26 am

I am sooooo taking notes for my own annoying-unborn kid!

33. August 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Imagination Movers. M loves them!

And sometimes those lessons have to be given that way. I’ve done M’s scowling face to her before when she tries to act all sweet to me. I don’t think she gets it at all, but I have to vent somehow. LOL

34. August 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Oh….absolutley hilarious Ameena! I don’t have kids, but that sounds like something I would do.

35. August 21, 2010 2:03 pm

My daughter has some sort of radar that immediately alerts her when I’m on the phone!

36. actorsdiet permalink
    August 21, 2010 2:37 pm

keep on trying ameena…she’ll get it!

37. August 21, 2010 3:42 pm

haha…what a great story! i think i would’ve done the same thing. 🙂

(sorry to hear about your Applesauce cake :))

38. August 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Mothers are the greatest therapists, in my opinion!!

❤ jess
    xoxo

39. Med permalink
    August 21, 2010 7:09 pm

That’s hilarious! I can imagine Ali getting really into that and I would have loved to see Maya’s expression.

40. August 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Ameena, I think Moms are amazing, I think my mom is amazing but I’m not yet a mom so I have a whole different reaction to kids and their wily ways 🙂 My brother & I are only 11 months apart (I know right….. what was she thinking doing that twice in a year tsk tsk) & from some of the stories and photos I think we just might have been a bit of a handful….. hence the “I think my mom is amazing”.

41. highonhealthy permalink
    August 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Ahaha.. Maya is amazing and she seems to ask some of the best questions!

I’m actually kind of intrigued by your fail of an Applesauce Cake. Where did you get the fail of a recipe?

42. August 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Curiosity is always a good sign in kids – am I the only one who sees less of it in children these days (that statement alone is a sign that I’m getting old…kids these days!)
    I think that children need to be taught and guided to realize that parents are people too, with their own needs, wants and interests. Explaining it to them clearly, as you did while on the phone, just makes sense!

43. August 21, 2010 8:33 pm

haha okay so we all cant work magic and make lessons stick but u definitely had a good plan of attack. but the attention span of a 5 year old truly is non existent and what goes in one ear comes out the other. Hey just think when she’s a teenager and tries to talk on the phone with her friends (or dare i say boyfriend).. then u can REALLY have fun teacher her a lesson on interruption! 😛

xoxo

44. August 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Well at least you realized that by badgering the girl, you were cutting on your own noses to spite your faces! Computer time is far more valuable than harassing a 5 year old! 🙂

45. August 22, 2010 7:13 am

Isn’t that totally the way of it? It’s almost like they just sit perched and waiting for you to pick up the receiver and then pounce like a cat on a mouse with the questions and interruptions. I’m lucky if I can get a sentence in most times without a question or comment be thrown to me from the peanut gallery.

46. August 22, 2010 8:19 am

Kids can be relentless with their questions, can’t they? This is absolutely hilarious! I love how Ali got in on it too.

47. August 22, 2010 11:00 am

Aww kids are too cute!

I just found your blog through Faith, Fitness, Fun blog. Feel free to check out my blog The Nutritionist Reviews too!

Have a wonderful day!

48. Anne permalink
    August 22, 2010 11:32 am

Questions questions!! At least she loves you just as much as you love your mom 🙂

49. August 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Wow. That was pretty brilliant. Mind if I try it for myself? I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂

50. August 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Hahaha!! Nothing beats a mom therapy session! They are the bestest when it comes to this!

I think Maya is the cutest 🙂

xxoo

51. August 22, 2010 3:51 pm

hahaha Maya is adorable. Too funny. I can’t even imagine having to deal with the street closures. What a mess.

52. August 22, 2010 4:39 pm

lol sounds like something Liv would do.. she is soooooo pesky sometimes! arent all kids?! my thing is, everything i say goes in one ear and out the other.. i practically need to pin a sign to her chest explaining how to do the simplest of things.. like do we not brush our teeth before leaving for church?!

oh man, ive had some FAILS come out of my kitchen! ugh! i hate it when that happens. then I dont feel like cooking anything for days

53. Aimee permalink
    August 22, 2010 5:13 pm

This sounds like something I would do lol! Definitely cause for a headache. She’ll grow out of it and sooner with those parenting skills. My dad was all about the yard stick and the threat of getting slapped–scary, effective, but it made it difficult for my brothers and I to like having our dad around when we were young and couldn’t help getting in trouble. This is good!

54. August 22, 2010 6:25 pm

What a great blog! I’m glad you stumbled across mine so I could find my way here 🙂 Your stories are great! Glad to meet a fellow So. Cal mom!

55. Anjum permalink
    August 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I was laughing so hard when I read this. Very progressive parenting tactics!! It may not be too late for me to use it on my kids!

56. August 23, 2010 6:10 am

I am learning some great parenting tips from you!

57. nadia permalink
    August 23, 2010 11:17 am

omg, this is the funniest this i’ve ever read! lil maya jani is too cute and i can just imagine her frustration at you two, hilarious!! love it! so happy i’m finally getting to catch up on many blog entries!
    XOXOOOXOXO

58. June 1, 2012 7:47 am

This one is hilarious too.. I think I would annoy my kid so much just to teach them a lesson, I don’t think it works though.. they are too young. She’s so cute.

59. June 1, 2012 2:35 pm

Damn. I used to be the one teaching lessons to my mom, my bro, everyone who did anything I didn’t like. I was a brat 😦
    But lol, why was her underwear confusing her?! Kids and their innocent questions! 😀

1. What Makes a Good Mother? « Fancy That…Fancy This