A Scary Mommy I Admire

August 16, 2010

My hair and I?  We haven’t been seeing eye to eye recently.

What else is new, right?  We’ve been battling since I was about 9 years old at which time my older sister started calling by the endearing name “caveman.”

It’s no wonder I have no self-confidence.  Actually, I’ve been pondering the fact that I should go to therapy and slap her with the bills but I can’t…I won’t bore you with the reasons why.

Anyway, I found myself staring in the mirror this past week asking myself an age-old question…why do I look like a Chia Pet?

I wanted to slap on my Target hat and have a good cry, but my fix-it project for this month is to learn to be more proactive.  So instead of huddling in a corner I called up my Japanese straightening guru and had him douse me with chemicals.  Lots of them.  For three hours.  On Saturday morning at 9 am.

Talk about a wake-up call.

Yes, I too am marveling at the fact that I will only eat organic grapes and use products by Avalon Organics, and yet I have no problem subjecting myself to the barrage of poison known as the Yuko Hair System.

I won't scare you with a "before" picture. Just know this is a massive improvement.

I’m happy to say that the result was worth all the toxicity I exposed myself to.   It’s just unfortunate that my miracle worker can’t do anything about my dark circles and pale skin.

Have you had enough of my sarcasm for the day?  If not please check out my guest post on ScaryMommy.com.  This mommy impresses me for her sense of humor, her honesty, and most importantly the fact that she has 40,142 followers on Twitter.

I just downloaded and learned how to use TweetDeck this week.  I’m a bit behind.

1. August 16, 2010 7:42 am

Isn’t it funny how we always hate our own hair? I would diet to have yours. Mine is fine and thin and mostly flat and blah. I love your shiny, thick hair!

• August 16, 2010 8:09 am

Tracey – you are nuts. I have seen your hair in person and I would love to have it!!

2. August 16, 2010 7:42 am

Nice! Is this process permanent? I have done Brazilian keratine straighting (basically a protein mask), which looks fab for a few weeks and slowly fades, resulting in large, frizzy locks once again 😦

• August 16, 2010 1:34 pm

This is a permanent process versus the Brazilian one…I’ve been doing it for 7+ years and every time I get another treatment I thank God for the Japanese and their brillance!

3. August 16, 2010 7:53 am

I’ve always been so curious about Japanese hair straightening! Yours looks so pretty and shiny!

4. August 16, 2010 7:53 am

Well, you’ve obviously got glorious locks of hair if this is you thinned out! Looks great. You gotta do what you gotta do to feel good about yorself.

5. August 16, 2010 7:53 am

sounds pretty cool!! Your hair looks great.

6. August 16, 2010 7:57 am

I think the hair looks great! Very witty post 😉

7. August 16, 2010 8:05 am

I’ve heard of tweetdeck. I have no idea what it does. You’re not that far behind, I promise you! lol

Your hair looks fab and you look stunning as always. I have no idea how you could say otherwise!

8. August 16, 2010 8:11 am

Your hair looks great, but I don’t know what it looks like when it looks terrible.
    I recently submitted a picture of my hair washed without shampoo, combed, and air-dryed to this blog:

I think it’s an awesome idea.

9. August 16, 2010 8:22 am

I am going to say this (and then run for cover) but I’m super grateful that I somehow scored big on the genetic lottery with my hair. Now, I’ve got a whole host of other appearance-related grievances, so it doesn’t come without strings attached, but my hair certainly doesn’t look anywhere nearly as rockin’ as yours does without a lot of help!
    I’m actually in line for a haircut tomorrow morning and I’m totally battling the urge to go ultra short (i.e. just a little longer than Manski). Sigh. The perils of privilege.
    Anyways, enjoy that hair! It looks fabulous!

• August 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Jaya – you did score some awesome, frizz-free Indian hair, and in my opinion you have no other appearance-related grievances to speak of! You are gorgeous.

10. August 16, 2010 8:25 am

Your hair looks beautiful!!! 😀

I did something similar before my wedding last year– I sat in a salon for many hours, wearing a mask over my face, dousing my hair in chemicals so it wouldn’t be frizzy on my wedding day! It was NOT fun, but perhaps worth it? I don’t think I’ll ever forget how my eyes and throat were BURNING during the straightening process, though!! Eek.

11. Michelle permalink
    August 16, 2010 8:28 am

You have such beautiful hair! I’m so jealous how thick and glossy your hair is. Mine is naturally very fine and constantly falls flat 😦

12. August 16, 2010 8:39 am

Beautiful Ameena! There’s something about getting a good haircut or color that makes you feel more alive…I always go out for drinks after :)…of course every haircut I’ve had the past 3 years have been horrible-life-altering-disasters-that-could-prompt-suicide-in-a-not-so-wimpy-person…

Still trying to grow out whatever the hell is on the top of my head as we speak.

TweetDeck? LOL – I won’t go near Twitter!

13. August 16, 2010 8:42 am

I think you look GREAT! I should get my hair done. Mine is HUGE naturally. It’s awful. I seriously wish I could just have normal straight hair.

Your hair looks so healthy too! I’m jealous.

I added you on twitter. My name on there is possiblymaybe.

14. traynharder23 permalink
    August 16, 2010 8:55 am

love the hair! it looks great!

and yes, i believe j.c. is a keeper. wait til you see the picture of us at the end of tonight’s post. he even said it was tres adorable.

he loves how i go to costco a lot and wants to go with me and my family. he wants to workout harder in the gym just coz of me (apparently i am bad ass! 🙂 ). how cute. i really really like him and hope you meet him soon! =D

we went to costco on saturday and are planning to go during the week. this is an addiction.

15. August 16, 2010 8:58 am

We are our own worst critic! Your hair looked fantastic before you had the straightening done! Try dealing with my hair… which is very thick and was naturally curly until I had my daughter. Post-pregnancy hormones turned it straight!! And… to make matters even worse… about three months ago my roots started to grow curly! So… there you have it… curly roots and straight ends! Ugh!

16. August 16, 2010 8:59 am

You know I have learned to love my hair (read live with them). I have hair straight like a bamboo stick and I hate them. For any major event in the family I take at least an hour to just get them “bent” at the edges, the stage of curling is never reached. I posted a picture about this wonder curling machine once on my blog which worked for me, but by the time I hit publish on that post, my hair were almost flat again. I could kill for some bounce and big curls..sigh..

Enough ranting. I think your hair are thick and lush Ameena!

17. August 16, 2010 9:03 am

I have a hard time believing you looked like a chia pet. I’m going to try the Brazilian hair straightening at my salon when my hair gets a little longer. I’ve heard great things about it.

Good luck with tweeting 😉 I don’t think this is something I’ll ever do. It scares me.

18. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    August 16, 2010 9:03 am

Your hair looks great, but I never saw anything wrong with it before.

Siblings can really suck sometimes eh? My brother has said some of the meanest things to me, and I’ve done the same to him. Of course, he deserved it. 🙂

19. August 16, 2010 9:07 am

your hair looks so pretty and glossy!
    One of my friends did the Japanese straightening thing; I want to do it too! But my hair is sooo thin I worry it would just all fall out if I tried that.

20. August 16, 2010 9:12 am

Just read your guest post over at Scary Mommy and left you a comment there. Love your hair and everything else about you! Have a great day, dear!

21. August 16, 2010 9:16 am

Your hair looks fabulous! I bet it looked great before as well but it looks particularly fabulous now. If it makes you feel any better, the security guy checking IDs at the airport last week looked at my DL picture, then looked at me and then just shook his head. Maybe I need to get my hair straightened 🙂

22. August 16, 2010 9:40 am

Ameena,

Your hair looks great, I have straight hair,it like to stay in ground than in my head, hubby says hair everywhere. I have to live with it.

23. August 16, 2010 10:06 am

It looks great. Is it really worth it. I have a massive mess of curly hair and my mom wants me to do this, but I am worried it will mess up my hair forever.

• August 17, 2010 5:22 am

Melinda – I have an even more massive mess of curly hair and this process has changed my life forever. I am not exaggerating!

24. August 16, 2010 10:08 am

You hair looks beautiful. So thick and smooth and shiny. It already looks like it has grown out some too since your cut.

25. August 16, 2010 10:13 am

I love your hair! It looks gorgeous. It’s really thick and healthy looking. I’ve never tried the Japanese straightening treatment but I got a Brazilian keratin treatment once that was supposed to be “all natural”. Honestly, I didn’t really look into it, but I didn’t want to discover that it is actually not good for you because I really wanted it…so it’s better to just avoid the truth right?
    Anyway, you can’t live an 100% organic life…we all have things we do that are not exactly holistic but we do them anyway because we’re human.
    I don’t really know what tweetdeck is? I feel dumb.

26. August 16, 2010 10:21 am

Ameena! It sounds like we have a similar natural hair type! This summer I put down approx $300 to do this thing called “Brazilian Blowout” or “Brazilian Keratin treatment,” and it’s probably the best thing I’ve ever done for my hair/sanity/self esteem (sad, I know) but it’s this treatment which is actually (GOOD…not damaging) for your hair and makes it soft, shiny, and NOT FRIZZY or unruly or gross (even if the humidity is high or it starts raining on your head…incredible i know) and the one i got is supposed to last about six months…I’ve had it so far for a month and LOVE IT, if i leave my hair to air dry it doesn’t look like a crazy fro but actually soft shiny, semi straight and frizz free so it only takes like a couple minutes and much less heat damage to actually style it. I’d look into it in the future 🙂
    Sara

27. August 16, 2010 10:33 am

Your hair looks great, Ameena. Definitely worth breathing in 3 hours of chemicals, although I’m sure that it didn’t look that tragic before.

I think hair is like a life or death thing for women. It can make or break our moods, and to this day I have no idea where it gets the power to do that. I mean, even bad skin is easier to deal with than bad hair… and bad skin sucks big time.

My hair is naturally really fine, straight, and likes to go limp on a regular basis. I often wish I had thicker, fuller hair, but I guess that’s not without it’s grievances either. I guess we just have to learn to make the best of what we’ve got 🙂

28. August 16, 2010 11:39 am

BEAUTIFUL hair. You look gorgeous, girl!!

❤ jess
    xoxo

29. August 16, 2010 12:23 pm

You are so gorgeous!!!!!! Love that beautiful hair, so shiny!! 🙂 I have to straighten my hair everyday religously or else it’s kind of crazy.

30. August 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Your. Hair. Is. Stunning. And so are you! I imagine it looks beautiful anytime of the day (we always hate our own hair!)

31. August 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Your hair is gorgeous, Ameena! It’s so shiny and it really looks super healthy…and I’ve always wanted dark hair! 😉

32. August 16, 2010 2:37 pm

I must be even behind you because I have no idea what Tweetdeck is! 🙂

Love the hair – beautiful!

33. August 16, 2010 3:07 pm

You are pretty much lovely 🙂 P.S. My hair has dual personalities: pretty when it isn’t humid, terrifying when it is. I live in ILLINOIS. The odds are NOT in my favor.

34. August 16, 2010 3:12 pm

You have good hair. Trust me. Nuff said.

So funny about technology. I have my email and blog and that is over-kill. I have never touched twitter and facebook in my life (and have no plans!).
    I enjoyed your article much.
    So you want to write non-fiction hey? Are you working on it now or toying with ideas?

• May 15, 2011 11:55 am

The forum is a bigrtehr place thanks to your posts. Thanks!

35. August 16, 2010 3:16 pm

you look fabulous! both before and after 🙂

36. August 16, 2010 3:37 pm

I’m the same way- I’ll eat organic produce but I have no problem slathering toxic chemicals on my hair/body. This is where “moderation” comes in lol

I flat-iron my hair almost every day because I have the chia pet thing going on. Yours looks gorgeous!

37. August 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Followed you over b/c I loved what you wrote at ScaryMommy. So my people…

Subscribing now.

38. August 16, 2010 4:06 pm

oh, ameena…. you and your hair!!!

39. August 16, 2010 4:07 pm

From someone who is today going off to my hairdresser to ‘get the works’ I so totally relate with this post. I’ve been attempting to grow my way too thick hair…., to the point I’ve been living with headaches from its heavyness (OK, so I exaggerate a touch 🙂 but today’s the day and I can’t wait for all those (I prefer to call them magical ingredients) that they smother my hair in! Bring on 5.30pm….

40. August 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Love your hairdo! I never ever even considered that you had “bad” hair…not sure what you define as bad hair!

Hair was one of my only proud points…you can imagine the degree to which I let myself go when I didn’t even care that I lost 70-80% of it.

41. August 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Sigh my hair is sadly dried out and needs to be cut off and I don’t think anything can help it out. This worked so well for you though! Def glad the Japanese have helped you out. Lovelove it.

42. August 17, 2010 12:55 am

I am fascinated by the idea of the Yuko hair system, but somewhat afraid. Silly, I know. I am considering the Brazillain blowdry (permanent blowdry) though. I’ve heard lots of great stuff about it.

43. August 17, 2010 2:49 am

I could never get enough of your sarcasm. In fact. Your sarcasm is what gets me through most mornings.

Ameena. I’ve always thought chia pets were very cute. Sure, they looked kind of like they were run through the electric chair a few times. But that just added to their allure. Whatever happened to them? They seem to have become an endangered species. Maybe because they all got their hair chemically treated. 😛

• August 17, 2010 5:59 am

Joanne – your compliment just made my entire day, so thank you for that. And yes, I do think a few Chia Pets were at the same Japanese salon, subjecting themselves to loads of chemicals! 🙂

44. August 17, 2010 6:58 am

Too funny. I want to come over to your house and plaster your mirror with my operation beautiful post-its. But on the other hand I’m really jealous of your after hair!

45. louisianagrown permalink
    August 17, 2010 7:05 am

Sometimes I look at pictures of the gorgeous and successful Annalynne McCord and wonder why I can’t just let my hair go wild like hers… then I look in the mirror and cry. Glad to know that there’s someone in your life that can tame yours down.

46. August 17, 2010 7:07 am

beautiful! though i do completely empathise – i myself have hair more suited to industrial cleaning/insulation than feminine style. today, i’m rocking what i like to call “the nest” i.e. the got-out-of-bed-two-hours-too-late look, which is the whole damn mess scrunched into a ball on the top of my head 🙂

i also totally hear what you’re saying when it comes to chemical treatment. my hypocricy truly knows no bounds: but seriously though, MY natural state clearly cannot be as nature intended.

47. August 17, 2010 7:57 am

Dear Ameena – Don’t you just hate it when the stuff that groWS from our body runs rampant! Yea – I am talking about hair ans sometimeS my mouth (much to hubby’s chagrin)

Your hair looks ahhmazing – so pretty and shiny! And that’s with near starvation during Ramazan??? WOW!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

48. August 17, 2010 8:16 am

and when it comes to our hair its so important that it turns out! ive tried some products in the past that destroyed my hair and ended up having to cut it off. now that its long again im so particular (and fearful)
    you look gorgeous !!

49. August 17, 2010 9:17 am

Your blog is gorgeous! Thanks for the visit and look forward to hanging with you (virtually, of course)

50. August 17, 2010 9:52 am

Love it! I battle with a flat iron every morning. I always toy with the idea of getting it straightened but then I look at the cost…

51. August 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Yes, hair is always a problem. Yours looks great by the way. 🙂 I just ordered Wen. Do you think it will work like they say?! Thought I would give it a shot. 🙂

52. August 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Beautiful locks. In keeping with the grass is greener theme in life, I’ve always lusted after straight, shininess. The carrot colored ‘fro is hard to manage, but I’m slowly making piece with it.
    Enjoy the rest of your week!

53. August 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Ameena, your are GORgeous! I think you have lovely creamy skin and dark eyes, and thick, beautiful hair. It looks like Maya inherited your good looks, too! I think it’s no problem to do little things that make you feel better – even if it takes 3 hrs in a salon 😉

54. August 17, 2010 5:06 pm

your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! i love it.. so shiny!!!

mine has been crazy unruly this year.. humidity, frizz, blah!!! i hate it! i want to do that straightening treatment but its so expensive and i wouldnt be able to wash it for a week after.. something mine wouldnt like!
    im going to check out that post!!!

55. August 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Your hair looks great! We currently have humidity here in New England so I am not even bothering to do my hair. Thank goodness for the pony tail. Congrats on your guest post! That is awesome 🙂

56. August 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Sooo I am pretty sure I am going bald. And my parents are freaking out. They don’t think I will ever get married…

57. August 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Love the hair straightening! I just did a Brazilian Blowout – changed my life! Thanks for stopping by – I look forward to reading more here!

58. August 17, 2010 9:03 pm

You look perfectly fine!!! You look gorgeous, dahhhling!!! 🙂

59. August 18, 2010 3:42 am

Your hair is beautiful! I know it’s the after but I still love it!

Wow, scary mommy has a lot of followers!I was excited that I was about to reach 500, seems a bit paultry after hearing that. 🙂 You’ll love tweetdeck. I started using it about a month back and can’t imagine life without it now.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I’m looking forward to sharing posts with you!

60. August 18, 2010 7:40 am

Go to my hairdresser! Your hair looks fabulous, but I know she leaving for switzerland for a few weeks soon. I have twitter but I’m still not sure how to use those tweet deck features and what not, I think I need a tweet course.

61. August 18, 2010 9:20 am

See now, I think your hair is beautiful. I’d kill to have that hair. Want to switch? Mine is thin and mousy brown if I don’t dye it. Tempted? What do you mean no??

62. August 20, 2010 4:25 am

Ameena, your hair looks great!! Not liking your hair and wanting someone else’s is a common thing in all women, I think. But you gotta have a look at mine, it will quickly cure you of this nature!!!haha!

Anyway, tweetdeck? Don’t worry that you are late…I go to the page, and every time it asks that I need to download it, I wonder, ‘If twitter is easily available, why the heck should I have to download something else to see my tweets??’ My husband tells me that I clearly have no idea what tweetdeck is for…! 😦

• August 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Thank you Jane! I have serious issues with my hair so I am so appreciative of all the kind words people like you have left. And I doubt that yours could possibly be worse than mine! Remember you are seeing my after picture, not my before. 🙂 I wouldn’t want to scare my few readers away, right?

63. August 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Nice hair. Looks like from a commercial.

I love Avalon Organics products. I bought mine from Wholefoods. Trying to make them last, it was pricey but I love it.

64. August 20, 2010 9:06 pm

LOVE the hair! and Tweeting? Wow! I couldn’t do it to save my life. Too much pressure to like like the cool kids.

65. sorryidontgive@email.com permalink
    July 8, 2012 12:04 pm

You are BEAUTIFUL. Stop freaking out. I mean it. I found your blog one day ago and I can’t stop reading it and reading passages aloud to my mostly distracted boyfriend because they are hilarious and wonderful and I admire your perspective. But really, you’re gorgeous.

• July 8, 2012 7:36 pm

Thank you Rebecca for the bevy of compliments. Really, you just made my evening so I appreciate it!!