“I want to get married here too, Mama.”

August 10, 2010

I have another first to add to my last post…on Saturday I attended a wedding where the bride and groom danced to “All My Life” by K-Ci and JoJo.

Not impressed?  How about if I tell you they danced to a live performance of “All My Life?”

Shock and awe was the theme of the evening and K-Ci and JoJo certainly kept to theme.

The wedding was phenomenal.  I’m not sure what else to say.

I couldn’t stop staring at the bride because she was an absolute knockout.  And not only could she easily be a Bollywood star but she is a successful doctor too, as is her new husband.

The smoke (steam?) made me feel like I was in the middle of a movie.

You know how sometimes you just look at people and think, wow, they have it all?  Well I think these two really do.  But the nice thing is that they totally deserve it because they are both super nice and they’ve clearly worked hard to get where they are.

As my dad would say, I need to take a lesson.

The room was gorgeous and all white.  They even laid (lay?) white carpet over the floors which made the room even more luxurious.

Yes I wore this outfit before. In July. Luckily the local chapter of the Indian/Pakistani clothing police didn't fine me.

Almost all of the flower pedestals (Is that the right word?  What is with me today?) and the numerous bars were all made of ice.  I’ve never seen anything like it.

Ali and I left the wedding at 12:30 am but Maya was still going strong. Oh, and that bar back there? It is made of ICE.

Yeah, Maya is a shy one alright.

I am whatever the opposite of a social butterfly is.  An introvert?  A homebody?  A loner?  Anyway, since my husband is even less outgoing than I am, it really is bizarre that our child thrives in the limelight.

This would be a frame-worthy photo, if it weren't for the sleeve of my jacket and Ali's shoes...why are we incapable of taking good pictures?

“I want to get married here too, Mama.”

Sure Maya, no problem.  But you’ll have to be about 50 before you take the plunge because it’s going to take us at least that long to save up.

1. August 10, 2010 2:44 am

Wow! What a gorgeous (and $$$$ LOL) wedding. It sure is beautiful though. And you know what’s funny? My good friend from the wedding we went to this weekend serenaded “All My Life” to me over the phone in 9th grade when he had a crush on me. Thanks for giving me a funny memory and I so should have reminded him of that. Thank goodness I didn’t listen and told him STOP, otherwise who knows if we would still be such good friends.

2. August 10, 2010 3:00 am

Hey at least she is planning early! And if she marries a doctor (especially if he’s an MD/PhD as he’ll have no debt) then he can just pay for it….I’m just saying.

3. traynharder23 permalink
    August 10, 2010 3:06 am

I LOVE IT! i like that song. my mom loves it too. =D

and no costco trip- the fams is away so nope! =D

4. August 10, 2010 3:12 am

O-M-G!!! How beautiful!!! Too cool to see KC and JoJo LIVE!!!! LOOOVE the fam picture!

5. August 10, 2010 3:28 am

wow! that looks beautiful! it definitely puts my wedding to shame! haha!

6. August 10, 2010 3:54 am

Wow – smoke at a wedding? Live performance? It’s like “My Super Sweet…Wedding” !!

Maya looks like an angel in white!

And, I like your take on being jealous of that person who has “it all” – and that they deserve it.

But – you know what I’m learning – even if they don’t “deserve” it – and I’m talking generally here – who cares? Who are we to judge or remark on someone else’s life or lifestyle. Focus on our own lives right?

I seen that episode with Oprah yesterday with Geneen Roth on it – yeah, cause I totally came home after work and flaked on the couch as usual with PB/J…anyways! – the POINT of my story! – Oprah was talking to two women that were overweight – and they would only be friends if the other stayed overweight- when one lost weight before the other refused to be friends because she was jealous.

But Oprah said – “When you feel jealous or anger or constantly comparing yourself to another individual – that’s not about them. ….That’s YOU. YOUR insecurities, your anger at YOURself, your own personal issues…making someone else miserable or guilty or bad isn’t right or fair OR their problem. Let them live their own life. Because there is no relationship if it depends on the other one being miserable”.

Oh, Lady O was indeed talking to me.

Oh God – sorry for the “hijack” LOL ! I was going to write a post on it , but every time I write anything like that, people sent me horrible comments…:(

7. August 10, 2010 4:02 am

Oh my gosh– that wedding is crazy!!! Lol. I want to get married there too (even though I’m already married)!

8. August 10, 2010 4:08 am

Wow, you LA folks really know how to throw a party. That’s gorgeous! I love the all white? And a smoke machine? Craziness. I think my father would either have had a heart attack or laughing fit if I asked for a wedding like that. You can tell Maya what he’d have told me: It’s good to want.

9. August 10, 2010 4:18 am

Such a cute family you all are!

And I kind of giggled a little when you said they danced to “All my Life”. And then I see the live performance part… that makes it allllll different! That’s awesome! Still a tad cheesy, but awesome!

10. August 10, 2010 4:24 am

That wedding is beautiful! My little one would have been a social butterfly as well.

I love the family picture 🙂

11. August 10, 2010 4:43 am

I totally thought you were joking when you said they danced to KC & JoJo 😉

What a wedding! Guess you better start saving up for Maya’s 😉

12. August 10, 2010 4:46 am

you can totally crop the sleve out of that photo! And zoom in on your beautiful little family faces.

KC & Jo Jo. are you kidding?! are you serious right now?! Yep. you are. This wedding looks incredible!!!

13. August 10, 2010 4:47 am

I’m with Maya; I want to get married in a place like that too! Holy gorgeous. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a wedding that glamorous, ad I’d definitely be hit with some wedding envy. But it’s sweet of you to say that they deserve it, and not begrudge them their happiness.

The All My Life thing made me giggle… aaaand then I quickly ate (??) my giggle when you said it was live. I’m still trying to figure out if they just settled for K-Ci and Jojo because they couldn’t get anyone else, or because they genuinely like the song… but, at a ceremony that lavish, I guess it doesn’t really matter.

14. August 10, 2010 5:06 am

I love that last picture… definitely a framer. Okay, confession time– sometimes I watch a show called “Platinum Weddings.” That wedding totally reminds me of that show… extravagant!

• August 10, 2010 6:51 pm

I love that show! I haven’t seen it in a while though because it made me feel a bit shallow. Glad to know that I am not the only one who watches it!

15. Jessica permalink
    August 10, 2010 5:12 am

I love that song. That was the song to dance to at my school dances. True love…
    I would’ve loved to photograph that wedding!

16. August 10, 2010 5:22 am

Have weddings always been such elaborate affairs? When I was Maya’s age there were never chair covers, signature drinks, or charger plates at weddings. Let alone famous bands and ice bars.

…maybe there should be a moratorium on taking children to weddings. They see these beautiful weddings at a young age and that’s what they think all weddings are like. Maybe that’s why weddings have been getting more elaborate.

• August 10, 2010 7:45 pm

I think hugely elaborate weddings are mainly an Indian/Pakistani thing. They are almost always huge affairs…not everybody can afford it but those who can go all out!

17. August 10, 2010 5:38 am

You have such a beautiful family 😀 That wedding looked amazing!! I’ve always wanted to go to an Indian wedding. I hear that they are absolutely beautiful and a lot of fun. And I have to agree with Maya. I want to get married there, too. haha

18. August 10, 2010 6:00 am

Woooooooah, what an incredible wedding!! At first I was thinking that song is so super cheesy, but then when you said K-Ci and Jo-Jo where there singing it live I changed my attitude and was like WOW!!!! Haha!! Awesome!! 🙂 And the bar is made of ice?! There’s no way it would survive here in Atlanta right now!!

19. August 10, 2010 6:50 am

Wow! I can’t believe how gorgeous that wedding was!

The ice bar is ridiculous. (Ridiculous in a good way but I also don’t want to think about how expensive it was.)

I think the bottom picture of the three of you is really cute. You look so pretty!

20. August 10, 2010 7:19 am

Wow – that looks like quite a party! Maya might be more extroverted, but she definitely has her parents’ excellent sense of taste! I think that with a simple crop, you could easily rid your otherwise wonderful family portrait of the shoes and jacket 🙂
    You guys are such a beautiful family and I have a feeling that people think much the same of you – a gorgeous woman with a gorgeous family, a woman who deserves it all.

21. August 10, 2010 7:21 am

Wow definitely $$$$$ wedding! Live performance by KC and Jojo???!! Bar made of ice? Gorgeous! And your family pic looks nice, just need a bit of photoshop touch to take out the obstacles around 😀

22. August 10, 2010 7:27 am

Wow! That is some wedding. All I can think about is how much did that cost? A LOT! That wedding looks like it should be in a magazine.

23. August 10, 2010 7:35 am

That wedding gorgeous. I usually will see that kind in movie. Regarding maya’s wish, she is entitled to get that kind of wedding. But money that is always problem.

24. August 10, 2010 7:41 am

you look so pissed in that picture of you sitting in that white chair! were you cold or just mad at the photographer? Dont worry, maya won’t even need to marry a rich man, I have a feeling she’ll somehow be rich on her own. you know, auctioning her paintings and all.

• August 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I don’t think I was angry but you never know! Actually, dinner wasn’t until about 10pm so I may have been overly-hungry.

25. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    August 10, 2010 7:49 am

Wow! Those pictures are beautiful! I can only imagine what it was like in person!

I love that Maya is already thinking where she wants to get married. Such a girl thing to do eh?

26. August 10, 2010 8:08 am

You have such a beautiful family! I love it 🙂
    The wedding looks like it was so fun- I love stuff like that. I wish I could have a wedding like that…

27. Michelle permalink
    August 10, 2010 8:16 am

What an absolutely spectacular wedding! Sounds like the couple was very deserving 🙂

28. eatmovewrite permalink
    August 10, 2010 8:28 am

Lol. Wow that wedding was amazing. I don’t blame Maya he he.

29. August 10, 2010 8:29 am

What a wedding! And sweet Maya already has high expectations…you will have fun with that, I’m sure. You all look stunning though!

30. August 10, 2010 8:58 am

That is a beautiful picture of your gorgeous family Ameena. I’m sure if Ali could get tweetdeck up and running for you in 5 mins, he’d be able to stuff for you about that picture. Although I think it looks perfectly fine.

I love your dress! If I had something as beautiful as that, I’d definitely be wearing it more than once, it’d be silly and a waste not to. And I wear the same outfits to weddings all the time. If I didn’t like the outfit to wear it more than once, I wouldn’t have bought it. You know what IS embarrassing though? I still have clothes from high school that I wear sometimes. Yup, I’m totally shameless like that.

That was a beautiful wedding! With live performance and smoke, I’d feel like I’m in a movie too. Glad you guys had a wonderful time, and congrats to your friends!

• August 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I have a few things from high school that I still wear too so please don’t feel bad! And I have to add that if it weren’t for my mother-in-law I would have no style and nothing nice to wear. Seriously.

31. August 10, 2010 10:11 am

Wow, what an AMAZING wedding!

32. Med permalink
    August 10, 2010 10:58 am

And can I add…the groom came in on an elephant!!!! Not joking.
    We didn’t get there on time to see it or take pics but everybody was raving.
    I loved the waterfall in the ice bar too but somehow my picture of that didn’t come out clear.

33. August 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Holy crap! If we lived in the same city, I’d totally ask you to pull the standard desi move of “Oh, I bought some friends with me” and bring me along. I love me a fancy shmancy wedding and this one definitely looks fancy shmancy 🙂

34. August 10, 2010 12:17 pm

She is too cute. That does look like a fabulous wedding and very cool with the liver performance. I’d probably like to have gotten married there too.

35. August 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Wow, they went all out on that wedding! That’s amazing. I think I’m going to hop on a plane to Vegas and be married by some dude dressed as Elvis, since Cauldron Boy’s family and mine don’t get on too well. So no ice bars for me 😉
    p.s. Potatoes are good for you (smile).
    p.s.s. You guys look cute in that photo-it’s not such a bad photo.

36. August 10, 2010 1:03 pm

What a gorgeous wedding! K-Ci and JoJo?? I forgot about them, that is wild. And that is an adorable picture of your daughter in white =)

37. August 10, 2010 1:14 pm

wow. simply (/elaborately) beautiful wedding. is it wrong that images like these make me wanna get married all over again?!! 😀

(also love the idea of indian/pakistani clothing police! at work i have loving colleagues who seem to pose as the hair police – okok, so what if i run out of the house with a nest on my head most days?!)

38. highonhealthy permalink
    August 10, 2010 1:46 pm

I’m.. in absolute awe. That wedding looks gorgeous! I would also probably have to wait until I’m 50 to get married at a place like that.. unless I find myself a sugar daddy. Which I would never do……..

39. August 10, 2010 2:35 pm

what an AMAZING wedding! wow! the bride does look beautiful – good for the two of them!

I am surprised Ali is not out going, I had always imagined him as this care free type b people person.

40. August 10, 2010 3:12 pm

can’t blame her..it WAS rather dreamy…like what any young girl would dream for her wedding day!

you wear the most beautiful clothes…no joke!
    I have work clothes (exactly 5 pants and shirts with two pairs of shoes) and my workout clothes, to which I have more choices.

you should SEE me at weddings. not pretty!

hahaha

Maya is, as always, totally adorable and full of life!

41. August 10, 2010 3:14 pm

What a gorgeous wedding! (If I weren’t already married, I would want to get married there too, lol!) You’re right, the bride is stunning — love her dress! (And I’m glad you got another use out of your gorgeous dress!)

42. August 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Wow, that’s a beautiful wedding! I’ve never been to one that extravagant! Looks like a great time, and your family looks stunning! I bet Maya had a blast! 🙂

43. August 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes, you are in trouble…Maya will no doubt marry since she has two good-looking parents passing along beauty and intelligence genes….stuff like that will attract the boys…
    Love this post.
    KC & Jojo….(I giggle).

44. August 10, 2010 5:29 pm

I hope I have a kid as social as Maya. I am shy not introvert but my husband is both shy and introvert, so I am in quite a situation here.

Wow the couple really look like one coming straight form a bollywood movie!The bride looks very stylish.

45. August 10, 2010 5:37 pm

How beautiful! All of these weddings you go to look amazing. Can I come to the next one? 🙂

46. August 10, 2010 7:17 pm

My jaw dropped when you mentioned ‘All my love’- and then I couldn’t get it off the floor when you said “LIVE”. I LOVED that song! What a beautiful wedding! The bride is beyond stunning! Was there some significance to that song? First time they met etc?
    You truly look (are) so beautiful Ameena! Maya looks adorable too! I think you should give yourself a lot more credit than you do! I think you are pretty amazing!
    Barbara

47. August 11, 2010 3:49 am

Wow, that looks like one beautiful and elaborate wedding!

48. August 11, 2010 7:09 am

Holy Crap. I don’t think I could afford the carpet everyone is walking on. How fun 🙂

49. August 11, 2010 7:42 am

wow that’s a beautiful wedding. and they actually got them to come sing…very impressive!

50. August 11, 2010 8:00 am

What a beautiful wedding! And of course K-ci and Jojo were there…I mean, only in LA.
    But really, it looks gorgeous…I don’t even usually like white but I think that the all-white theme is absolutely beautiful and Maya looks so cute in her white outfit. And you look gorgeous. By the way, maybe you can crop the family picture? I’m not sure if that would work, but that’s what I usually do when I want to get something out of a picture.

51. August 11, 2010 9:42 am

Wow. What an amazing wedding. And it sounds like they are a great couple! You all look so nice together 🙂

52. August 11, 2010 10:05 am

As a specialist in development, there is nothing more remarkable than temperament. Oh girl, do you have a support group yet for the tween years?

53. August 11, 2010 10:15 am

Wow sounds amazingg. Maya’s adorable. My parents are introverts with three kids (myself and my brothers) that have always been very social. I have a dozen pictures of me posing like Maya plus two boys on either side showing off. I can’t imagine how they handled us, lol.
    And I agree, KC and Jojo “All My Life,” not so impressive. Kc and Jojo “All My Life” live so cool! I have a serious case of envy for Bollywood-looking Indian women. How do they do it I want to learn?
    I think I would have picked up on the ‘they have it all’ vibe as well, but you have it really good too which is great because it won’t be difficult to turn your attention back to your life :].
    p.s. You guys looked sharp!

54. August 11, 2010 12:39 pm

KCi and JoJo? I feel like I am back in middle school. But wow, that is incredible! Your whole family looks beautiful. Really, you all could be Bollywood stars.

It is interesting how children can end up having the opposite personality as their parents. My dad = most outgoing guy ever who loves talking to strangers. Me on the other hand… I look down and avoid speaking unless I have to.

55. August 11, 2010 12:46 pm

awwwww…. thats soooo awesome! the wedding looks so amazing!!
    i would have loved to have been there!!

56. myra permalink
    August 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Maya looks lovely . she reminds me of myself i am an indian and i did wish somethings like her when i was kid , may her wish come true who knows probably she herself will afford it by 30 .

Happy Ramadan.

57. oc2seattle permalink
    August 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Shock and awe is right! That dance floor mist is hilarious.

58. louisianagrown permalink
    August 11, 2010 2:34 pm

This looks like something I’d only get to see on TV. You get to go to the coolest events. Why couldn’t I have been Indian?

59. August 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I have never been to a wedding before! And now, I desperatley want to be invited to one! It looks like so much fun, with all the food and dancing and food and decor and….food. 🙂

60. August 11, 2010 9:56 pm

So this is why my parents want me to be a doctor- so I can throw a crazy expensive wedding!

Gotta watch out for the local desi clothes police. I am soo lucky to have a sister, we just switch outfits!!

61. August 13, 2010 10:29 am

KC & JoJo?!?!?! I haven’t heard of them in years!!! Well…it’s nice to know that they’re still performing together. Geez, I totally remember that song, too. I used to have it on repeat constantly until I scratched up my cd. lol. I even knew how to play it on the piano.

I love Maya’s proclamation of wanting to get married there, too. She too cute. hehehe…