It’s Raining Prada

July 30, 2010

I recently realized a few things about myself – I don’t have the patience to search through racks to find good bargains, I don’t deal well with crowds of shoppers, and I’d much rather pay full price for something than battle with 20 other people to get the last pair of Jimmy Choo’s at a whopping 15% discount.  (Disclaimer: I don’t own a single pair of Jimmy Choo’s.)

In short, I am not a shopper.

So imagine my shock when I unexpectedly found myself at Saks Fifth Avenue yesterday…

I overheard someone say that there was a line of women outside of Saks at 9:45 am and a near stampede when the store opened at 10 am.

I not only went to Saks for the first time in 5 years (?) but I went shopping in the shoe department…during an “up to 70% off” sale…that was in effect ONLY between the hours of 10 am and 1 pm.  Sheer madness, I tell you.

This woman in blue kept haunting me...but I must admit I love her purse.

I must have lost my mind, right?  I mean, why else would anyone willingly throw themselves into the chaos of the Beverly Hills lunch crowd during the 3-hour sale of the season?

I arrived around 12:15 pm and the aftermath of the stampede wasn't pretty...it looked like the skies had opened up and rained down Prada and Gucci.

There is one reason and one reason only to explain the fact that I braved the terrifying crowds of spoiled Beverly Hills teens and botoxed soccer moms.

My mother-in-law asked me to.

Want to hear the saddest thing ever? The saleslady who rung me up said that I was the nicest person she'd dealt with all day and she wished she could clone me.

It’s been about 24 hours since I was shoved out-of-the-way so someone could reach the size 37 1/2 Ferragamos that just happened to be in front of me.  Physically I have almost recovered.  Mentally…well, it might take a while.

But my mother-in-law, the same lady who used her fingers to debone chicken for me (back when I ate meat) so that I didn’t get grossed out by the bone being on my plate, was grateful I was able to purchase the shoes that she wanted.  And that made it all worth it in the end.

Potential scars and all.

1. July 30, 2010 11:17 pm

I’m not surprised you were the nicest person she rung up Ameena. Although I’ve never met you in person, from reading your thoughtful comments that you always leave, and chatting with you through email a few times, I can tell you’re nowhere close to being anything like those pushy savages. I’m usually right when it comes to judging someone’s character/personality too. I’m sure like me, you’d say sorry even if you just brushed someone’s shirt walking past them, and hates it when someone invades your personal bubble space. I also hate seeing my friends being pushed around. So if I were there with you, I’d be playing human whack the mole. But then also drag you by the arm (with those beautiful heels that I used to whack the moles with in my other hand of course) and run like two mad women. Afterall, I AM only 5 feet. Lol. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend Ameena.

2. louisianagrown permalink
    July 31, 2010 3:31 am

I love how all of these women are so oblivious that you are taking their picture. I would totally start throwing around that compliment from the sales lady if I were you. Next time Maya or Ali accuse you of being less than nice, just respond with, “The saleslady in Saks said I was the nicest person there!” It would settle all arguments, for sure.

3. July 31, 2010 4:12 am

you couldn’t pay me enough to do what you did. i am not a shopper either! it kills me everytime i actually need something because i never want to hit up stores haahah

4. July 31, 2010 4:30 am

Lol, I actually LOVE stuff like that!!! It gives me such a high!

5. July 31, 2010 4:43 am

Kudos to you for doing that for your mother-in-law. I’ll bet you were a breath of fresh air for everyone in Saks. All that hassle and you didn’t buy any shoes for yourself???

• July 31, 2010 7:56 am

Honestly, I had just enough patience and energy to get in, get what my mother-in-law needed, and get out. I have zero interest in shoes!

6. July 31, 2010 4:45 am

You seriously crack me up!

Its amazing to me how crazy women get about those sales! I can’t stand lurkers… like the lady in the blue dress. Its almost like they know you have good taste and want to see what you pick.

Have a great weekend 🙂

7. July 31, 2010 4:54 am

Wait, your mother-in-law shops at Saks? First Maya’s glasses, now your mother-in-law’s shoes. It’s official. Both your mother-in-law and child are cooler than me. I’m a huge fan of giant, crazy sales but you can bet if I’m going to brave the crowds, I’m going to at least find me some shoes. Props to you for your self control (and for being nice, of course) 🙂

8. July 31, 2010 4:56 am

Oh clearance sales… this is why I prefer shopping online. But that was nice of you to go for the mother-in-law. 🙂

And kudos for being the nicest customer all day. When I worked retail, it really was nice to get a break from everyone hating you for carrying out store policies and such… lol

9. July 31, 2010 5:34 am

You’re a good daughter-in-law. I’m amazed by how people survive these crazy sales. I saw some video today of the “running of the brides” at Filene’s Basement (I think) for wedding dress discounts and was just thinking… is it really worth it?

• August 1, 2010 6:36 am

I hit Filene’s Basement for the first time when I was in DC last month. I was not impressed! It was just…a mess. Not worth it at all.

• August 2, 2010 5:53 am

my friend scored a 2500 dollar wedding dress for 400 dollars at the running of the Brides last year.. i was amazed she came out of there alive too! lol its a mess i hear.. she said there were girls half naked running around the store looking for dresses..

Filenes Basement is definitely one of those hit or miss places, you have to dig. and even then.. sometimes you find every size but yours! its exhausting!

10. July 31, 2010 5:51 am

Ugh, shopping! I honestly don’t know how you did it, especially at Saks. I would have made a 180 degree turn in the opposite direction running like I was on the high school track team with my family screaming behind me. Oh yes, their voices would have been muffled by the thought of the margarita or other liquored beverage that would soon be part of my reality (smile)…
    Okay, well, sometimes I like shopping. I have to be in a certain mood though…

• July 31, 2010 7:58 pm

“…running like I was on the high school track team with my family screaming behind me.” This is too funny. Seriously. You just have a way with words!

11. July 31, 2010 6:39 am

I never find anything at sales, lucky you!

12. July 31, 2010 6:40 am

Hey I’m a new follower from The Nutritionist Reviews http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com/. I love your site and can’t wait to read more of your posts! Check out my blog too if you have a chance!

13. July 31, 2010 7:04 am

I am totally not a shopper… that looks like my worst nightmare! But if my mother-in-law asked me to, that is the one time I would probably do something like that. Glad you survived!

14. July 31, 2010 7:26 am

I’m usually the type of shopper who likes to run in, pick up something I’m looking for, and head straight out. Generally there’s no perusing for me, because I find it boring. But sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

You should feel really good about what the salesperson said to you. You have such a positive attitude that people pick up on.

15. July 31, 2010 7:32 am

Awww, that is not a suprise at all that the saleslady said you were so nice. You always leave such sweet words of encouragement on my blog! 🙂 And VERY sweet of you to get those shoes for your MIL! 🙂

Oh yeah, and I love that lady’s purse too!!!!!

16. July 31, 2010 7:33 am

eeek. this reminds me of the barney’s sample sale in nyc. no thank you!!!

17. July 31, 2010 7:42 am

I couldn’t have handled that either. I like shopping as quickly and easily as possible.

And you are already on the Blog page I’m organizing. I went through and did a good chunk of the people I know love reading and talking to already. You were certainly one of them. 🙂

• July 31, 2010 7:57 am

Thank you Tina – I really appreciate it. And when I finally find a minute to do a blogroll I will of course add you to it as well!

18. July 31, 2010 7:49 am

I don’t have the patience for that either which is why I don’t do too well at Ross. I will go to a blow out sale though. If I feel like getting out of bed that is. Funny, I don’t like bones in my meat. GROSS!! What a good daughter in law you are.

19. July 31, 2010 7:57 am

haha aw, what a good daughter in law you are! a good pair of shoes are really worth some extra effort. of course, i never really make that effort either but i can definitely understand it 🙂

have a great weekend!!

20. July 31, 2010 7:58 am

You are so nice to do that for your MIL!
    I looove to shop…I would have gladly gone for you 🙂

21. July 31, 2010 8:05 am

That poor saleslady! I bet Saks was insanity. Once I accidently wandered into Nordstrom during a big sale and it was very scary.

You are a sweet daughter in law for braving the crowds! I am not a shopper either and totally relate to the feeling of paying more just to avoid the long lines and hunting.

22. July 31, 2010 9:18 am

Holy cow, for a non shopper that must have been torture. I, on the other hand, would have loved that.

23. July 31, 2010 9:34 am

I am sure your mother-in-law felt very blessed to have such a gracious daughter-in-law. I am not a shopper at all…I can’t stand the crowds, so I would have been lost in all of this madness!

24. July 31, 2010 10:11 am

Those shoes are adorable!!! You were brave to go into that sale, though. Sounds like you had reinforcements, though 😀

Oh- and I am definitely with you on the woman in the blue’s purse. When I first saw her in the picture I thought- oooohhh, nice purse. haha

25. July 31, 2010 12:37 pm

I’m impressed that you were able to survive something like that; I’m not sure if I would have been so lucky. I’m not a shopper at. all either, and I avoid those kinds of situations like the plague. It’s horrible, but I would much rather pay full price and be able to shop in peace than have to deal with large crowds of insane women. The few times a year I do muster up the will to hit the mall, I always go in the early morning when it’s least crowded so I can go in and out with a sufficient amount of sanity in tact. That’s why Christmas is always a bitter sweet thing for me…

26. July 31, 2010 12:40 pm

You are a brave woman, indeed, and a wonderful daughter-in-law! 🙂

27. July 31, 2010 1:59 pm

mm i think my last comment got lost?

If I post twice, that is why. 🙂

I said… you are a great daughter-in-law. and in general a great person. I love your perspective on the madness that is shoe shopping in beverly hills.

28. July 31, 2010 2:28 pm

Dear Ameena – What can I say? A woman is a woman when she is above the animal????

It seems to me that nothing reveals the baser instincts in most of us than adversity or a sale at Saks! I feel your pain. Sometimes I feel I was born 200 years too late and I don’t doubt at all that you are the sweetest person the woman encountered all day.

Goes to show that good things (and people) will always be far in between. Really nice of you to get the shoes your mother in law wanted….and right there with you re: Jimmy Choos.

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

29. July 31, 2010 3:48 pm

The things we do for our mothers…and even more the things we do for our mother-in-laws. Not that I know personally, but I can imagine.

I enjoy shopping SOMETIMES but I really have to be in the mood. And I have to feel really skinny that day. Otherwise it’s totally depressing and mindboggling. You did good, my friend.

30. July 31, 2010 3:50 pm

I just think it’s funny that you were able to snap these pictures while you were in the store. I can only imagine what the other women were thinking… although, on second thought, they were probably much too enamored with the sale to even notice. That’s SHEER MADNESS.

And that’s also why I can’t shop at big stores with lots of people.

Maybe that’s also why I currently reside in the (most intelligent) armpit of Canada.

Who’s Jimmy Choo? 😛

xoxo Aletheia

31. July 31, 2010 6:07 pm

although im not into designer labels i have to admit that id be a bit frantic and excited scouring through the racks. you wouldnt blame me with a sale like that right! wow haha madness in the shoe store 🙂

glad u made it out alive, and with the right shoes too 🙂 haha this was awesome ❤

32. August 1, 2010 3:34 am

Dear lord, I have not “shopped” in over 2 years and I am not joking….grocery shopping (if that counts!). As a result, I look like a slob (which doesn’t help the “feel good” thingy.
    Even cheap deals, I am unwilling…something that is 5-10 bucks, I feel can get me more food or gas (it is that tight!).
    I have not been in a real “real” store in forever! New shoes and a shirt, new capris, a some socks, etc…oh man, ‘twoud be swell!

33. August 1, 2010 7:34 am

Ameena! Im shocked you were even there among all those botoxed women! certainly the nicest! I’d love to wear heels, but i look drunk wearing them cause i cant walk. At least its better than those sample sales downtown, I lost my flip flop there once and drove one with one shoe!

34. August 1, 2010 10:58 am

hahah I can only imagine the stampede of shoe-hungry women…yeahhh I don’t like shopping either. Especially shoe-shopping…is anyone ever looking at my feet?? I hope not

35. August 1, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi! I just found your blog and I already love it! You have a great sense of humor.

36. August 1, 2010 1:39 pm

Oh I feel you I HATE shopping…infact I think Ive resorted to online shopping only and even that has its flaws – like waiting days to get a dress that doesnt fit. ugh!

37. August 1, 2010 2:15 pm

Wow I can only imagine what a madhouse that was! But how can you turn the mother inlaw down?! Glad you survived 🙂

38. August 1, 2010 2:37 pm

Aww, that was so sweet of you to do for your MIL! It’s funny, I love shopping but hate crowded stores…if we could have malls just for us it would be perfect, right!? 😉 (Or if it really rained Prada, lol!)

39. August 1, 2010 3:06 pm

haha oh my – CRAZY!!!

40. August 1, 2010 3:52 pm

I am not a shopper either. I have to be in just the right mood to go. Which is rarely. 🙂 This was very nice of you.

41. traynharder23 permalink
    August 1, 2010 6:27 pm

wait why’d you cut it out?!!??! how sad!!!
    dude, this sale looks like costco on the weekend. =(

we should go to tender greens together! it’s so nice. the place is really popular!

hahahahha me and j.c. are just like that. hahah too creative and too funny. i hope you get to meet him!

42. August 1, 2010 6:47 pm

“My mother-in-law asked me to” is the only reason to do anything absurd, in my opinion. But shoes…well…for me…I understand.

43. August 1, 2010 7:17 pm

I love certain things about shopping. I love clothes and makeup and shoes, so getting new stuff once in a while is fun and exciting. (I might have just made myself seem incredibly shallow. I’m really not!) Anyway, I don’t enjoy the process of shopping. I HATE crowded malls and I really can’t stand annoying salespeople. I wouldn’t be caught dead in Saks during a sale because I couldn’t deal with the Beverley Hills teens and botoxed soccer moms you mentioned…or any other mobs of scary shoppers. I’m glad you got through the experience okay, and managed to find what you were looking for!
    Ps: I love the blue woman’s purse too.

44. August 1, 2010 7:52 pm

I know your feeling while waiting in store.Yesterday i did the same, here my husband is choosing his shoes. He is very particular with size, appearance how its feel while wearing.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, you have nice blog, i will visit often.

45. August 1, 2010 10:18 pm

Awww, that’s so nice of you to do that for your mother-in-law! I have to admit, I’m not sure I’d be willing to do the same for mine! That crowd sounds crazy!!

Glad you got her the shoes, though! 😉

46. August 1, 2010 10:44 pm

Crowds and grabby shoppers bring out the worst in me. That was brave of you to go thru something like that for yr MIL.

47. August 1, 2010 10:56 pm

The motivation of the in-laws…wow…you truly are a compassionate, wise human being. There is something SO COMPETITIVE about label brands…it is signaling a message of worth in a way.

48. August 2, 2010 3:03 am

I don’t mind searching through racks of clothes for a bargain (if I’m in the mood) because the thrill of finding something amazing for a fraction of the cost is a bit of a high to me.
    I love the relationship you have with your mother in law. Jealous.

49. August 2, 2010 3:17 am

You’re such a good daughter in law to what sounds like a good mother in law. I hope to have that one day! Isn’t it crazy how terrible customers treat employees in retail stores. I used to work in a department store several years ago and seriously people acted like I was beneath them.

50. August 2, 2010 5:57 am

if i dont take a xanax before stuff like that (which without a prescription, is hard to come by.. haha) i dont last an hour shopping. Black Friday?? my fiance and i went once and i just about lost it.. i hate crowds.. hate people bumping me.. screaming children, parents who ignore their screaming children, botoxed real housewife wannabes, escorting their nannies and mothers.. UGH.. kill me now! i only go to the mall when i have NO other options, & my two favorite stores offer the SAME selection ONLINE, and i know my size, so i dont even have to GO! lol

51. August 2, 2010 7:12 am

Oh be still my heart! While that looks like a panic attack waiting to happen, the purchase of fab shoes certainly must make it all better.

52. August 2, 2010 10:11 am

Oh my God Ameena…that’s like something out of those Chick-Lit books I read!! Or totally like Bridezella or something…wow. And, yeah, shoes are cute…but not worth that at all.

I need a new pair of sneakers -bad – but don’t even have the energy to go in and try them on….nor the money 😦

I was wondering – are you writing now too?? A novel? What type of work do you want to write?

53. August 2, 2010 6:04 pm

What a funny post! I can’t stand crowds in stores either–makes me claustrophobic. Ahh, the things you do for family!

54. August 2, 2010 7:02 pm

I’m always amazed – not in a positive way – at how most folks treat salespeople and food service workers. There’s often a complete lack of kindness and respect; I wonder why the disconnect with decency and manners happens towards people who are helping us or providing a service…
    I hear you when it comes to shopping – I avoid stores like the plague, and hold on to things forever as a means of staying out of them (case in point: socks that were a Christmas gift in 8th grade. I’m 28. They may have holes, but I still consider them functional.)
    Have a great week!

55. Chelsea Ward permalink
    August 2, 2010 7:41 pm

You’re amazingly brave to take on a feat as intense as that sale. I love the frenzied look of your photos, it seriously sets the tone for the setting. I’m constantly amazed at how shameless people behave just to save a little dough. How dare that lady push you!

56. August 2, 2010 7:49 pm

I dream of having a mother-in-law like yours! UGH I hate it when other people are shopping with me. Which is why during Christmas season I hide at home. And you will find me in bed at 5am on black friday…

57. August 2, 2010 9:03 pm

I feel your pain on the whole shopping thing! No way, no how. I’d rather show online.

58. August 3, 2010 12:41 pm

You are a brave, brave lady!! Sample sales and the like scare the bajeezus out of me!!

59. August 3, 2010 7:06 pm

I can’t deal with crowds. Me and shopping don’t mix either. especially in large department type stores during a sale. You, my friend, are braver than I.

60. August 4, 2010 4:10 am

wow, what an experience! I stay far away from crowds with ladies, sales and shoes 🙂

61. March 15, 2012 7:35 am