And she’s off…

July 22, 2010

I am excited to report that I accomplished more by 12:30pm today than I did in the past 2 weeks.  I managed to:

1. Form a complete thought.
  2. Clean up Maya’s room and the kitchen.
  3. Do a yogadownload.com class and take a 3 mile walk to pick up Ali’s dry cleaning.  (Not impressed?  What about if I say I read a book while walking 3 miles to pick up Ali’s dry cleaning?  Am I multitasker or what?)
  4. Make an enormous amount of headway on 9 separate marketing balances for work.
  5. Memorize my Toastmaster’s speech for tomorrow.
  6. Form another complete thought, and believe me when I say it had nothing to do with what Maya could eat as a snack next.

Are you wondering how this was all possible with my little shadow lurking about?  It isn’t.

Yes, you guessed it, I sent Maya and her little Dora backpack off to my mother-in-law’s house.  I felt guilty for about half a minute but then I realized she wasn’t exactly shedding a tear over it.  If anything, the relief that registered on her face when she realized she was shipping out was even more impressive than mine.

I also realized that between our DC trip last week and Maya’s school hiatus this week, the two of us have spent more time together lately than we have in the last 5 years.  I believe I have redeemed myself enough to merit a break from entertaining her.

Speaking of entertaining, Maya and I were lucky enough to have Lynn join us for lunch yesterday.  This is the fourth time I’ve had the opportunity to meet up with Lynn and I once again feel like I’ve known her forever.  But as is always the case when Maya is around, I was distracted and completely forgot to take pictures of lunch.  I did manage to get one good photo right before Lynn left though:

Please ignore the nearly dead plant in the background. My green thumb and I? Well...we struggle. Trees, kids...it seems to make no difference.

Luckily Lynn is far more organized than me and not only took fabulous pictures of the afternoon but she also put them up on her blog yesterday.  You can check them out here.

Thank you Lynn for bringing us gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and more importantly, thank you for helping me keep Maya busy…  don’t be surprised if she shows up at your door next week, Dora backpack in hand!

Want to know the weird thing?  Maya’s been gone all day and it’s been great, but now that it’s bath/story time the house seems empty and I have no idea what to do with myself??

1. July 23, 2010 3:11 am

Yay for a productive day! I wish I could have someone watch M once a week. Oh what heaven that would be. To think of the things I could get done around here.

2. louisianagrown permalink
    July 23, 2010 3:40 am

Aww. Joke all you want, but that right there is evidence that you love spending time with your little girl. 🙂

3. July 23, 2010 3:53 am

You should get one of those feet soaking doodads, dump in some lovely smelling bath salts, stick your feet in and watch a chick flick. Or you could call Maya at grandma’s and see how she’s doing 🙂

4. July 23, 2010 3:59 am

How nice of Lynn to bring over gf chocolate chip cookies! That is so thoughtful! 🙂 Glad you were able to get some work done and have time for yourself. Mothers have a TOUGH job and you deserve a little break! 🙂

5. July 23, 2010 4:09 am

Well I feel like a slacker! I hope you weren’t walking and reading a book at the same time though, as there was a girl when I was in high school who attempted that. She got her foot caught in a sewer grate and messed it up pretty bad. She was, um, interesting, to say the least. That just added to her legacy.

It’s funny because at our work potluck yesterday, one of the ladies was talking about how they can’t stand her 16-year old when she’s home, but if she’s gone at camp for more than two days, it’s too quiet and boring. Absence makes the heart grow fonder…

6. July 23, 2010 4:10 am

Three cheers for completing a thought! Just imagine what you’ll accomplish come August. 😉

7. July 23, 2010 4:23 am

I’m sure that if my mom had the option, there would have been plenty of times she would have sent me off to my grandmother’s when I was younger. Unluckily for her, my grams lives on the other side of the ocean, so my mom had to do all the entertaining herself.

And speaking of entertaining, I just checked out the pictures on Lynn’s blog, and I have to say that you’re quite the hostess! The spread you put out looks fantastic 🙂

8. July 23, 2010 4:26 am

Reeading a book WHILE walking 3 miles? You’ve got me, girl. I can no less take a sip of a drink while walking without spilling on myself. Mad props to you. 🙂

Yay for being kid free for just a little while! They are lovely, but… sometimes momma jsut needs a break!

9. July 23, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Enjoy your kid free recharge time!

10. July 23, 2010 4:32 am

What kind of Godiva chocolates do you use in that cake? Truffles? Chocoiste bars? Pralines?

• July 23, 2010 1:15 pm

I usually let Maya pick from a boxed assortment and then she sticks one directly on top of the cake. You really can’t go wrong, although I’d avoid any fruit-filled chocolate.

11. July 23, 2010 4:35 am

youve been wayyyyy more productive than i’ve been lately. haha. can you send some of that my way?

12. highonhealthy permalink
    July 23, 2010 4:47 am

It must have been so nice to get a break! I know you love Maya but everyone, even mothers, need to get some time alone.

Don’t worry about feeling unsure of what to do.. Maya will be back before you can blink an eye and then you’ll be doing a ton of bath and story times. 😉

13. July 23, 2010 4:56 am

I would love to know how you read while you walk without tripping. Every time I try to text when I’m walking, I trip over something and resolve not to walk & text anymore… until I do it all over again the next day! It’s an awful cycle.

14. July 23, 2010 5:16 am

I am impressed! I’d be lucky to get a list like that done in any less than a week… such a procrastinator I am…

I actually would have ran into something while reading and walking, knocked myself out, and that would have ended the list right then and there. So maybe it would hav taken me two weeks to get that done- I correct myself.

15. July 23, 2010 5:43 am

Havne’t tried the reading and walking yet, I’d be to worried running into something!

16. July 23, 2010 6:26 am

Glad that you found a way to be productive and have Maya happy at the same time. Good thing you stayed on the right path during that walk and no one got hurt.

17. July 23, 2010 6:28 am

hahah somedays i would be happy if i could just get a complete thought out of me. youdo that plus all this and Maya! haha way to go you!

18. July 23, 2010 7:18 am

Your way ahead of me! Wow. Especially on forming thoughts…hope the rest of your day was just as good 🙂

19. July 23, 2010 7:32 am

would never ever have even noticed your plant! hahaha

how cool you got to visit with LYNN! and gluten free choc cookies???

didn’t know they made such things! enjoy!
    and if our just moved away relatives hadn’t gone and moved to Texas, you bet your sad plant I’d be taking a sushi night with hubs.

Mom’s need breaks. it’s how we survive! That and coffee!
    xoxoxo

20. July 23, 2010 7:42 am

I can’t believe you can read and walk!! I can’t read a magazine on the elliptical let alone walking down the street.

I can, however, text and walk. Oprah hasn’t banned that yet, so I feel like I’m good.

21. July 23, 2010 7:59 am

your had me laughing from the get-go with this post. Doesn’t it feel great to have accomplished so much?! It’s good you can enjoy some time apart from maya! Gives you a chance to miss the little shadow! Happy Friday!

22. Michelle permalink
    July 23, 2010 8:19 am

It’s amazing what you can get done when you don’t have any distractions.

23. July 23, 2010 8:21 am

Wow, that is quite a productive day. Did you really read while walking 3 miles?!

That picture of Lynn and Maya is so cute!

24. July 23, 2010 8:22 am

I read about your day with Lynn on her blog yesterday! I saw all the food you made- looked DELICIOUS. And that calzone? Pretty much brilliant.

25. actorsdiet permalink
    July 23, 2010 8:34 am

glad you got some time for yourself – nothing wrong with that!!! you need to add “massage” to your agenda.

oh – and those contacts i’m wearing now are avaira. just remembered.

26. July 23, 2010 8:42 am

I saw Lynn’s post the other day, and it made me smile! You hosted such a lovely lunch. And I love that you read while you walk. I do that too, and I get quite a few strange stares.

27. July 23, 2010 8:43 am

I’m really glad you have someone to ship your sweet lurking shadow off to (lol-ed at that btw). It’s so true how much more we get done w/o our shadows. Sometimes I even contemplate whether to get everything done like a crazy woman or actually just take the time for myself and relax. I’m like you though, usually the OCD in me wins.

You and Lynn are so considerate of each other and know each other so well. Her bringing gluten-free cookies and you making cheeseless calzone just shows that you both really take the time to read eachother’s blogs and get to know one another.

Luv that picture of Maya and Lynn, too precious. Maya is totally photogenic like you. Even when she has her feet up sitting in ungirlie-like fashion (my daughter does that too but doesn’t pull it off as cute as Maya can) as you’ve mention before in your posts, she still seems to look as adorable beyond words. I really look forward to meeting you and your adorable mini me one day!

28. rachael permalink
    July 23, 2010 8:46 am

Read a book, while walking, in LA? Totally impressed!

29. July 23, 2010 9:28 am

Ameena,
    I want to give you the most supportive blogger award. 🙂 I see your comments a lot and they are great, not to mention the ones you give me. Have a great weekend, and don’t feel guilty about today, I bet Maya had fun with her mother-in-law. You always have me laughing. 🙂

30. July 23, 2010 9:44 am

You crack me up Ameena! And Oh so lucky Maya for having grammies and grampas to spend the way with. Guilt, are you kidding? they are after all a extension of yourselves…I say, do this often and be a happy mum!

Miserable Mum and ALL suffer 🙂

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavor

31. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    July 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Im impressed that you formed 2 complete thoughts. Thats a lot harder than most would think. 🙂

32. July 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Sounds like a great day!

33. July 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Haha, I LOVE those days where I feel like I got more accomplished by lunch than I have all week. Great job, superlady!

Wow, I’ll be back in LA soon! I say there needs to be a blogger meetup– Sophia and I need to hang with our foodie friends more!

34. July 23, 2010 7:34 pm

It must be a relief that you finally have time to think and do things other than entertain Maya…and it’s normal to miss her once she’s gone! Or feel like you don’t know what to do, since bath time is a part of your daily routine. Just try to enjoy the time to yourself- you know it doesn’t happen that often! I usually go crazy when I don’t get to have time to myself, so I think that all parents have some kind of superpower or secret that I’m not in on.

35. July 23, 2010 7:41 pm

did maya help you clean up her room?

WOW u have superhuman powers i swear 😉

xoxo

36. July 24, 2010 3:27 am

I am seriously impressed by your efficiency today! You did way more than I had by 12:30. And to think, by 12:30 your time it was 3:30 here! I had ample opportunity. None of which I really took advantage of. It must be nice to have a break from Maya…but it’s super sweet that you miss her. the grass is always a little greener…

37. July 24, 2010 6:00 am

You’re in Toastmaster’s? That’s awesome! I used to go to Toastmaster’s every week and absolutely LOVED it. Not giving speeches, though 😉 I hope you’ll post a speech one of these days. Good luck!

And reading while walking…I admire that, and REALLY wish I could.

38. July 24, 2010 8:53 am

quite impressive tasks crossed off your list lady! Sounds like a great time with Lynn…I love her bloggie too.

39. July 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey Ameena, I’m glad you had some time to yourself to be productive-that’s nice. I love getting a lot of stuff done, and then relaxing the rest of the day with a sense of accomplishment. Or maybe I should just say a sense of ‘nonlaziness’ in my case (smile). I have a habit of being a bit lazy sometimes…
    p.s. Maya looks so much like my niece, Manal. I did a double take at the pictures on your friend’s blog.

40. July 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Productive days are good. Really good. Maybe I should try reading a book and walking at the same time. As much as I love to multi-task, sometimes I think I multi-task too much.

41. July 27, 2010 4:08 am

That brownie recipe is awesome! My husband works late too so I get a lot of one on one time with the boy right before bed when he’s tired and cranky. Some nights definitely require chocolate!