Shoes Solve Many Problems

June 2, 2010

I’m not the kind of person who gets depressed.  No, I am far more likely to get irritated and/or angry too quickly for any other emotion to set in.  Ali and Maya can attest to this, as can a slew of slow left-lane freeway drivers and the numerous obnoxious kids who hog the park’s spinner.  So it is unusual that I was feeling kind of sorry for my hair and myself this weekend.  I have to say though that all of your very kind comments, plus Ali’s constant reassurances that I don’t look like a boy put me in a much better mood!

Other things that improved my lackluster mood this past weekend were…

An excellent Italian dinner at Locanda del Lago

Butternut Squash Risotto with Seared Scallops

A delicious brunch at The Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica.

Huevos Rancheros - Corn tortillas, poached eggs, black beans, salsa, and guacamole

Another pair of gorgeous shoes from my mother-in-law.  Just because.

I had no idea Kate Spade even made shoes, nevermind ones as pretty as these.

Indian food at a new-to-us restaurant in West L.A called Electric Karma

Appetizer - Aloo Tikki

Salad with Tandoori Mushrooms, Eggplant, and Paneer

Memorial Day lunch at my parents’ place.

Salmon, Lamb Chops, Brown Rice Salad, Corn, Green Salad, Garbanzo Bean Salad, and Maya's sneaky little hand setting up her place at the buffet table.

And I also had a great time answering the last few questions from my Formspring account.  These are the last of them!

Q: Any advice on success? (I’m a college student getting a BS in Marketing and minor in psychology ) and also whats your favorite non-fictions books? (BTW -LOVE YOUR blog, the humor is pick me up in the morning!)

A: First off, your compliment just made my Wednesday morning, so thank you for that.  Secondly, I’m not sure I am qualified to advise on success as I am still trying to achieve that myself, but if there is one thing I can’t emphasize enough it’s that you should pursue a career that you LOVE.  Looking back, I really wish I’d gone a different route instead of choosing the more stable/realistic path because I believe I would be much happier and further in my career now.

My favorite non-fiction book include The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster (although her subsequent books are not nearly as entertaining), and Slave by Mende Nazer.  I could not put this last book down, and to put that statement in perspective, I was in labor while I was reading it.

Q: Are you religious? (How) does this play a part in your daily life? You look like such a fun parent! Love your blog!

A: Thank you for the compliments!  I am fairly sure Maya doesn’t consider me much of a fun parent now but I do hope she does eventually.

I am fairly religious in some ways, i.e. I fast during the month of Ramadan and I pray regularly.  But I also wear things that I probably shouldn’t.  I try!  I have to work harder than most because both my brother and Ali demand that I do prayers on their behalf.  They are THAT lazy.

And my brother is going to kill me for writing that.

Q: What is the craziest thing you ever did in college?

A: For some reason I have a feeling my brother asked this question.  He wants me to admit that I got a tattoo during my college days, and even though I’ve sworn up and down numerous times that I do not have a tattoo, he doesn’t believe me.

The truth is that I was almost as boring back in college as I am now.  The worst thing I ever did was wear a few things my parents wouldn’t have approved of.  There were also few months during my junior year where I smoked a few cigarettes here and there.  I have no idea why I did it but I am really glad that habit never stuck.  All I can say is that if Maya is even half as boring as I was then I will be a happy mother.

Q: Does your kid drive you crazy?? Your posts make it seem that way sometimes. 🙂

Yes, Maya does drive me nuts!  But please take my sarcasm and complaining with a grain of salt because I am prone to exaggeration and I have little patience in general.  The truth is that Maya is a really good, smart, loving kid and I love her to death!

1. June 2, 2010 6:10 am

Daaaaahling, you know, I really like my mother in law (though its taken me a while to be able to say that), but seriously, can we trade????

2. June 2, 2010 6:33 am

Your butternut squash risotto with seared scallops looks wonderful! But WHY do fancy restaurants only give 2 or 3 scallops??!! I mean, I’m not saying they should give a dozen, but 4 or 5 might be a bit more reasonable in my opinion, haha! 😉

3. June 2, 2010 6:41 am

My mother-in-law needs to hangout with your MIL. Sounds like you had a delicious weekend 😉

Since you are praying on behalf of Ali and your brother, when you get a chance would you please pray on my behalf 😉

4. June 2, 2010 6:43 am

ooh I like the new layout 🙂

The Glass Castle is one of my favs too 🙂 We listened to it that one time we were nuts and DROVE back to Michigan.

All that food looks insanely delicious!!

5. June 2, 2010 6:44 am

Um, excuse me, your mother in law buys you Kate Spade shoes?
    Um…can I marry into your husband’s family??
    Um…WHATTTTT.

Haha.

Ugh – my future mother in law is NEVER going to like me 😦 Sigh. I’ll just live vicariously through you.

6. June 2, 2010 6:53 am

My mother-in-law just gave me plates. I would much prefer shoes!

7. June 2, 2010 6:56 am

im in love with that appetizer.. ALMOST as yummy as those shoess.. and i said “almost” hehe.

im more spiritual than religious. i think it works better for me. i always enjoy studying and learning about religions tho- i find it incredibly facsinating!

8. June 2, 2010 6:58 am

Okay… I have to go on the record that your Mother-in-law has the best taste! I need to send my MIL to your blog so she can take notes 😉

9. June 2, 2010 6:59 am

You have the most amazing personal shopper. . . err, i mean mother-in-law.

I hate shopping and I totally wish I had a mother-in-law to buy me trendy clothes/shoes

10. June 2, 2010 7:13 am

Yes…shoes do make everything better! 🙂 Enjoy those!

11. June 2, 2010 7:16 am

That food looks so good!! And I love, love, love Kate Spade shoes! So ladylike!

12. June 2, 2010 7:29 am

Can your mother-in-law be my best friend? Because she’s got awesome taste.

13. June 2, 2010 7:29 am

I LOVE those shoes. My husband works for DSW- shoes solve my problems, too. :o)

14. Michelle permalink
    June 2, 2010 8:06 am

I loved reading your responses. I’m such a boring college student. I’m truly a goodie too shoes, and I think my parents want me to go out and get drunk so I will at least have a social life! haha.

15. June 2, 2010 8:15 am

Oh my gosh Ameena, you crack me up! Waking up to reading your posts always helps steer my day in the right direction 😀
    Your mother in-law has great taste! And I am drooling over all that food 😛

16. June 2, 2010 8:17 am

Ooh, beautiful shoes! And great food pictures. I especially love the salad with the tandoori mushrooms and eggplant.
    Did your brother kill you yet? 😉

17. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    June 2, 2010 8:23 am

I love the questions and answers. 🙂

I think its pretty clear how much you love Maya. I know Ive never questioned it. Maybe you complain on occasion, but who doesnt?

18. actorsdiet permalink
    June 2, 2010 8:31 am

i’ve been to electric karma in los feliz – i’m assuming it’s the same one. delicious stuff.

19. June 2, 2010 8:36 am

I love LOVE your q and a….but you lost me at those SHOES and the FOOD …the risoto and the appetizer….

all I have today is some barf high fiber cereal and egg salad for lunch.

can I come have lunch with you! you go to the most ELEGANT places.

it is totally obvious you adore your family and AND I love your sarcasm and complaining! you always make me LAUGH and I love that!

20. June 2, 2010 9:10 am

Gorgeous shoes! I love Kate Spade.. everything is so simple, clean, and feminine.

21. louisianagrown permalink
    June 2, 2010 10:37 am

Funny that your brother is so convinced that you must have gotten a tattoo in college! Did he get one himself?

• June 2, 2010 11:28 am

Not that I know of? But he’s been known to point fingers when he himself is the culprit!

22. June 2, 2010 11:41 am

Yummy dishes – I’ve been missing spicy Indian food. The Kate Spade shoes are gorgeous – great taste. I think you should get those temporary henna tatoos on your arms and go to lunch with your brother and accidentally let him discover them.

23. June 2, 2010 11:54 am

haha, the question about you in college was from me! 🙂
    I thought you would figure it out somehow because I left it the SECOND after I commented on another post of yours…

The aloo tiki looks sooo good!

• June 2, 2010 7:44 pm

How funny…I thought for sure it had to be my brother trying to trap me into admitting something!!

24. June 2, 2010 12:39 pm

I would seriously consider marrying a guy if it meant I could have a mother in law like yours. Gah! All of the shoes/gifts she gives you are just fabulous. Does she have a twin? Or would she be interested in adopting a little Canadian girl? If the answer to either question is “yes”, you know where to find me 😉

Oh, and I have to mention that I love how you describe your relationship with Maya and I’ve never questioned your love for her or how much of an angel she really is, and you’re such a good writer that I think it’s a bit sad if someone can’t pick up your sarcasm and wit.

25. June 2, 2010 12:58 pm

I always love your honesty–not many will flat out admit that their child bugs the heck out of em–but you do it all with love! 🙂

26. June 2, 2010 1:11 pm

First – love the shoes.

2nd – love the food…and salsa 🙂

3rd – TOTALLY agree with your response to the success question…not following your heart or what you want to do…well, it really sucks…i’m currently in a dilemna of having left my former job, accepted another one, but don’t feel that it’s “Right” even though it is “on paper”…and have other offers – but have been told i accepted the other one and can’t keep skipping around…:(…i’m so confused.

27. June 2, 2010 4:27 pm

I love Jenn Lancaster. I actually laughed so hard the first time I read ‘Bitter is the new black’ that I almost peed myself. Love Slave. Have you read ‘A long way gone’by Ishmael Beah , Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, They Poured Fire On Us From The Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan, Darfur Diaries, Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur by Halima , or ‘An Imperfect Offering; Humanitarianism in the 21 centuary’ by Dr. Orbinski? Those books changed my life. You could not pry them out of my hands! I have over 500 books crammed into my tiny apartment!! I saw that youm read ‘Madras on a rainy day’ and I have been trying to get my hands on it since. I just did another big book shop-so I am excited! Have you read ‘The secret daughter’ yet? It’s worth reading!!!
    sorry this is so long- I got excited!!!

28. June 2, 2010 7:15 pm

shoes and food solve many problems! all your eats look super!

29. June 2, 2010 8:20 pm

Shoes should be the solution to more problems. They are so awesome.

Loved reading the answers to those questions. What a fun way to learn about you! 🙂

30. June 2, 2010 9:17 pm

Beautiful shoes. I love shoes! I really would have thousands of shoes if I bought every pair I wanted.Then I would never get a chance to wear all of them, so it would be a huge waste of money (money that I don’t have anyway…so why am I rambling about this? I don’t know.) The point is, shoes solve many problems, I agree.

I was really boring in college too…well I’m still technically in college working on a different degree. And I’m still boring. I was way more interesting in high school. Those were my rebellious days, and I did some pretty crazy stuff. But for the past 6 or so years, I’ve been very tame. People from high school wouldn’t recognize me.
    Maya has this adorable devilish grin. I think she will be anything but boring! But hopefully she won’t make you worry either.

31. June 3, 2010 2:54 am

Haha shoes and good food are the key to all problems. Those are super cute…Kate Spade – classy!

Loved learning a little more about you through those questions!

32. June 3, 2010 7:14 am

You weekend eats looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing thoughtful answers to some really great questions.

33. June 3, 2010 8:56 am

Gorgeous shoes! They are just lovely, as is your MIL.

Fantastic looking meals but I’m with the person above who said restaurants don’t give enough scallops…such a shame.

34. Jessica permalink
    June 3, 2010 10:32 am

Oh man, all that food looks awesome. I’m not much of a shoe person, but a gift goes a long way! You’ve got a nice mother-in-law.

35. June 3, 2010 11:32 am

I really appreciated your advice to anonymous success-seeker. I think I’m probably almost getting ready to graduate (can’t you already sense the fear and apprehension from my passive language?) and I think I’m also at the juncture where I have to decide if I want to play it safe or pursue something that I’m really passionate about. Being about as “boring” as you are in many regards, I trust your wise judgment.

🙂 Aletheia

36. June 3, 2010 12:40 pm

That Indian food looks delicious!! It’s so photogenic, the Indian food I get is always yellow and mushy looking 😛

Thank you for the advice on success!! I just left a stable job to pursue something I love, so it’s nice to hear from someone who doesn’t think that’s a crazy decision 🙂

37. June 3, 2010 3:05 pm

Oh wow, I thought my MIL was great! You are definitely a lucky lady — the shoes are adorable!

The aloo tikki looks pretty fantastic too. 😉

38. June 3, 2010 3:10 pm

Ummm who has the best mother in law in the world? That would be you.
    I am THE most boring college kid EVER. But it’s all good!! I’m finally catching up a little bit, I think. No regrets! You only go to college once (hopefully).

39. June 3, 2010 5:15 pm

yea the rest of canada has been having good weather..but both the prairies (saskatchewan/alberta) and B.C. have been having cold rainy weather. thankfully it got hot today suprisingly!

40. June 3, 2010 8:16 pm

My brother and husband do that to me too. I am constantly asked to pray on their behalf. My husband extends the concept of “Two bodies and one soul” he believes if I pray he prays 🙂

41. June 4, 2010 2:09 am

I like your hair cut! You certainly don’t look like a boy 🙂

You really weren’t a wild one in college? lol for some reason I can see you being one!

42. June 4, 2010 3:04 am

IDK – I don’t think your posts make it sound like Maya drives you crazy. I think that you really care about being a good parent – and that drives you crazy. It’s kinda like when you are in school and you have a really hard class that you wanna get an A in. Only not really, because here the A is a person who you love more than anything! So really, it’s much much more stressful than that! You do a great job. 🙂

43. June 4, 2010 4:58 am

I’ve been away for a while, but I LOVE the new look of your page! And your hair most certainly does NOT make you look like a boy… it’s quite chic. “The Glass Castle” has been sitting on my bookshelf for almost 10 years, but now that you’ve said you like it maybe I’ll finally go read it!

44. June 6, 2010 8:49 pm

Wow, all these pictures are making me hungry! First time to your blog! I love it! 🙂

45. June 9, 2010 11:32 am

Ummmm…I want those shoes!!! I hope whoever my future mother-in-law is will be like yours. hahaha…