I’ve Made Peace

May 4, 2010

I haven’t eaten too many white potatoes in the past few years, thanks in part to everyone from Dr. Oz to my sister telling me that white potatoes are the equivalent of the devil.  But after not gaining an ounce after eating hash browns, roasted potatoes, and masala dosa daily, and sometimes twice a day while on vacation, I realized that I really need to stop taking to heart every single piece of advice (solicited or not) that I read/hear.  And while we are on the topic of unsolicited advice, can I offer some?  I promise you will not gain 10 pounds if you eat white rice, white bread, or white potatoes.  My vacation is evidence of that.

Now that potatoes and I are friends again I picked up a 5 lb. bag during my last visit to Trader Joe’s.  Since I was totally craving my mom’s Potato Kabobs I figured I’d attempt to replicate them based on memory.  Now I may not be the most objective taste tester but honestly?  I think these turned out quite good!

Indian-Style Potato Kabobs

4 medium-sized red potatoes
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/2 onion chopped (I omitted this because the only onion I had was bad)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 cup of water (I used almond milk)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Cut the peeled potatoes into quarters. Place them in cold water and boil until soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Using the now empty pot (because why wash another one if you don’t have to?) heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add all the spices except for the salt. Stir for a minute and add the onions and peas. Stir for another couple of minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and water/milk and stir well, until all the potatoes are well coated with the spices.
4. Mash the potatoes/peas until they are fairly broken up and sprinkle with salt. Remove the potatoes from the pot and set aside. Once they are cool enough to handle form the mixture into little balls and flatten them into kabobs.
5. Add the remaining oil to the pot (because again who wants to wash another pan?) and fry the kabobs until they are browned on both sides.

My mom is reading this right now and is thinking, “Ameena, you didn’t use enough oil and that’s why your kabobs didn’t brown properly.”  I totally agree Mom, but while I’ve made peace with potatoes I am still working on my relationship with frying things.

Hopefully olive oil and I will get to a good place one day soon.

1. traynharder23 permalink
    May 4, 2010 12:24 pm

i have the same issue too. i have to pare down the information i get from so many sources, put together a diet/lifestyle plan that SUITS me, and run with it.

dude, you got skillz in the kitch! i don’t ! so jealous!

and i’m busy this week, but next week- coffee?
    or in two weeks?!!

2. fitandfortysomething permalink
    May 4, 2010 12:37 pm

ameena i totally agree-really it is all about moderation!

3. May 4, 2010 1:02 pm

haha i finally learned that potatoes are death and wont kill me either. i need to want them, but i have expanded into enjoying them fried in hashbrown style or a sweet potato doused in coconut oil!

4. May 4, 2010 1:28 pm

we eat potatoes (well my Teenager does) I have a couple…never knew they were evil. I do adore yams more though! white rice…I eat it too. along with all the others. love how fluffy it is…and white sugar is the only thing i cringe at. but I still eat it.

wow I eat olive oil too. maybe that’s why you’re thin and beautiful and CURVY…haha

glad you made peace. you have enough food restrictions. glad you got one back!
    and your kabobs look amazing! so making that!

5. May 4, 2010 1:29 pm

I meant to say ” and I…I am curvy”

sheez

May 4, 2010 1:30 pm

I LOVE potatoes!! The way I figure it, if its a fruit or vegetable I really dont care what anyone says about it, Im going to eat it. 🙂

7. Caroline permalink
    May 4, 2010 2:56 pm

I only eat potatoes and white rice out at restaurants. I gues you’re right, it is all about moderation. I just can’t bring myself to make these things at home. However, I have NO problem with olive oil and other fats, so maybe that’s the trade off.

8. May 4, 2010 5:34 pm

roasted golden white potatoes are great done in the oven.

9. May 4, 2010 5:42 pm

These look great Ameena…very creative. You have skills. I don’t think I could replicate a recipe without any directions or ingredients.

I’m glad you made peace with potatoes…I was unaware that Dr. Oz was anti potato, but spuds actually have a lot of health benefits. Sometimes doctors tell “weight loss” patients not to eat potatoes because of things that are usually accompanying the potato that might be nutritionally void, but potatoes themselves are loaded with potassium and fibre. I love the look of your recipe!

10. May 4, 2010 5:56 pm

I avoided white potatoes for a really long time as well, absolutely convinced that they were the devil. But after challenging my fears, eating some, loving them, and realizing that nothing bad happened as a result, I’ve fallen in love with them again and eat them at least a few times a week.

Sometimes I think we can all ease up on the whole “healthy eating” thing; it’s too easy to take it too far.

11. May 4, 2010 5:57 pm

THANK YOU!!! I’m sick of all this crazy paranoia about “white” carbs being the devil. Goodness! If that’s the case, I should have long been dead by now!

12. actorsdiet permalink
    May 4, 2010 6:03 pm

it looks delicious! i’m frying up my sweet potato leftovers tonight – glad to see potatoes fry up well!

13. May 4, 2010 6:13 pm

Here’s to savoring all forms of foods on vacation, and then recreating the memories at home! 🙂 Your potatoes look out of this world incredible… I’m “guilty” (except I don’t feel guilty about it one bit *giggles* 🙂 of making hashbrowns at home on the weekends, so I say yay potatoes! 🙂

14. May 4, 2010 6:45 pm

i may be totally wrong but they remind me of pakoras? did i get that right. either way ive had something similar to this and LOVED THEM!!! urs look way better tho.. fresher and more colorful!

15. May 4, 2010 7:18 pm

This is a hubster friendly recipe–the indian inspired dish is sure to kill 😉

16. May 4, 2010 8:15 pm

I am totally pumped about having another legit Indian recipe to try out!

I also love potatoes and agree that one here and there is fine!

17. May 4, 2010 8:20 pm

Oh that recipe sounds great Ameena. I’m always looking for different ways to make potatoes. Thanx for sharing.
    I eat white rice almost everyday and have kept the same weight since high school (minus pregnancy). I actually think it fills you up more so you can’t eat other junk. Well that’s my silly theory at least so that’s what I’m gonna keep telling myself. Seems to be working so far…teehee.

18. May 4, 2010 9:05 pm

I love my carbs. I love potatoes, bread and the like. I’ve never really listen to what others have told me about them. I still eat rice, too. Though being Asian it’s in my nature. hehehe… Good for you for becoming friends with potatoes once again. They aren’t so bad. 🙂 I’m definitely going to try those kabobs. Yum!!!

19. May 5, 2010 2:45 am

I always order these when we eat out and I’ve actually been dying to make them myself! Yours looks fantastic — I’m bookmarking! Thanks Ameena!

20. May 5, 2010 4:08 am

Oh, Dr. Oz is just a potato hater because he’s scared of carbs. They’re a good source of lots of nutrients, like potassium. So I think it’s 100 percent cool that we eat them as long as they’re not topped with tons of bacon, cheese, and sour cream. I like them, too. So there, Oz Man. And these look awesome. (And I too will omit the onion.)

21. May 5, 2010 4:34 am

I couldnt agree more. I definitely think its about finding balance & not about getting hung up on every little health claim. Those pancakes look awesome!

22. May 5, 2010 5:22 am

Fabulous recipe! I love anything with potatoes, though I don’t eat a lot of them. Any kind of potato pancake is good in my books.

23. May 5, 2010 6:50 am

I concur. I used to think white potatoes or anything white for that matter was of the devil. But you know what? Life is too short to not eat hot, fresh, WHITE doughy bread with some butter. Thank you very much.
    Delicious sounding recipe!

24. May 5, 2010 7:22 am

Ahhhh I’m so glad I’m not the only one who’s been stigmatized against potatoes – and I’ve been seeing all these delicious and healthy potato recipes around lately, and there’s a bag waiting to be eaten on my counter… TThank youuuuu! This recipe looks great!

25. May 5, 2010 7:53 am

Those look so good! My mom used to make something similar in the form of a stuffed sandwich! She had some pocket-sandwich grill thing and would fill a sandwich with a similar potato pea mix. Ohh it takes me back… On an unrelated note, do you know how to make idli?
    I’ve been told and told that white potatoes are bad too…I even hear the excuse “oh, I don’t like white potatoes” for a reason not to eat them. Whatev. Who doesn’t like white potatoes!?

26. May 5, 2010 8:04 am

That is awesome Ameena! I am glad you are letting go of the white potato food rule! Baby steps…olive oil will come! 🙂 I am proud of you!

27. May 5, 2010 9:00 am

Oh my gosh, I’m definitely going to try those!! Looks delicious, and easy enough, I think… I’m not that adventurous usually. Oh, and I eat white potatoes all the time… Homemade french fries, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes…and I’m a skinny thing. I don’t know how white potatoes get such a bad rap. I eat the skins too. That’s good, right? 😉

28. May 5, 2010 9:16 am

So true! Sometimes I get lost in all of the nutrition/health advice that’s given…you really can’t change your life EVERY time you hear something!

29. highonhealthy permalink
    May 5, 2010 9:55 am

Yum! Those look really good. Maybe I’ll have a potato for dinner tonight. Or a sweet potato. Same diff.

30. May 5, 2010 10:21 am

I’ve never been a big fan of potatoes and there are only three ways that I’ll eat them- in the Masala Dosa(I can’t seem to order anything else in a restaurant that has them on the menu!!), Alu tikki/cutlet(or kabob as you call them) and occasionally chips.
    I usually add some ginger-garlic paste and some freshly chopped cilantro leaves for extra flavor and oh yes,I also coat them in ‘rava’ or semolina/farina to give it an extra crunch before shallow frying them (I’m with you on the oil bit-I just cannot use more oil while cooking)!!

• May 5, 2010 6:16 pm

I am so with you Sweta – I can’t order anything but Masala Dosa if it’s on the menu but it’s hard to find on a menu here!

31. May 5, 2010 10:30 am

It bothers me too that white potatoes have gotten such a bad rep. We had some with our dinner last night. I still prefer sweet potatoes bec they have more flavor, but sometimes meals just call for some white potato goodness and that is just fine.

32. May 5, 2010 11:16 am

I don’t enjoy white potatoes very much, EXCEPT in Indian food and the occasional hash brown. Dosas are too good to pass up! And thanks for the kabob recipe.

33. May 5, 2010 11:54 am

So glad you’re welcoming the white potatoes back in your life!! I don’t see anything wrong with them at all!! 🙂 Gosh, those potato kabobs look incredible, Ameena!!

34. lowandbhold permalink
    May 5, 2010 11:55 am

I love white carbs. Like, a lot.

Those kabobs looks insane.

I’ve never fried anything at home. Mostly because I’m scared of the oil popping at me.

35. May 7, 2010 4:33 am

Do you guys have Whole Foods in Cali? Whole foods makes these lentil dal burgers that look a lot like those potato pancakes. Except they are spicy and yum.

I’m not a nutritionist by any means – but I don’t think white po-tots are that bad. They have fiber. They are tasty. 🙂

• May 7, 2010 11:48 am

I am going to look for these lentil burgers…thank you for the great suggestion!!

1. The great purge | The Final 15