How to Kill 12 Hours

April 17, 2010

99% of the trips I take are courtesy of the frequent flier miles that I basically steal from my father and father-in-law.  That means that with the exception of short trips I never actually purchase plane tickets.

This trip to Asia is a little bit different in that we actually utilized Ali’s frequent flier miles for a change instead of pilfering from our respective fathers, and we were fortunate to have enough miles for business class seats.   I have heard SO many good things about Singapore Airlines and their business class, namely from my brother who waxes on about the very hot flight attendants, and my dad who insists it is one of the best airlines in the world.  So it goes without saying that I was very excited to hop on board today (or yesterday, I am all mixed up).

Honestly?  I think British Airways is the best airline I have ever been on.  While Singapore’s customer service is out of this world, the plane we were on was older and a bit dirty.  And my television didn’t work:

12 Hours with no television = a long, long flight.  I had to find alternate ways to entertain myself.  And entertain myself I did.

I finished this excellent book:

I utilized Ali’s netbook to read a script a friend had sent me and wrote up my comments/revisions.  I always make fun of Ali’s nerdy ways but I’m the first to utilize his technology with no apologies:

I watched Ali eat:

And eat:

And eat.

And eat some more:

In addition to the above he had a Kit Kat, a yogurt, and a roast beef sandwich but at that point I was more grossed out than fascinated at the amount he could eat in 12 hours.

Meanwhile I had some cashews and water:

And about 5 more bottles after that one.  What they say about avoiding caffeine on a long flight is right, I felt SO much better not having any coffee/tea.

I finally got hungry somewhere over who knows where, and I ordered this delicious bento box:

Sorry for the fuzzy picture but it was dark and I didn’t think my fellow passengers would appreciate a flash photo in the middle of the night.  The box contained a bunch of different things including some delicious sushi and black cod.

We arrived at our hotel after about 1.5 hours on a limousine bus which is apparently the easiest way to get from the airport to your hotel.  I’d be scared to see the long way.  But as soon as we came into our room I realized the long  journey was worth every second as this is by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at.

Heated bathroom floors, a nail dryer, and televisions in the bathroom?  The Japanese know how to do things right.  I may never want to leave here.

After a delicious bowl of steaming hot soba noodles from a place around the corner:

I collapsed in bed and woke up at 4:00am local time.  In order not to wake up Sleeping Beauty, I am writing this post from biggest closet/dressing room I have ever seen:

Hope you are still with me after this epic post and all the pictures…more to come soon…

1. Heavenly housewife permalink
    April 17, 2010 12:11 pm

I am green with envy. Great hotel. Never flew first class like that so I’ve always wondered what it’s like. Can’t wait to see what u get up to.

2. April 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Oh my. That hotel looks AMAZING! I have a thing for hotel bathrooms that are awesome. Yeah, I’m weird like that. SO lucky are you to fly first class!! When I go to Ireland in June, all I know is that my TV better work or i’m going to be extremely bored…

3. Hassan permalink
    April 17, 2010 2:13 pm

I am really jealous that you are in Japan. I am even more upset that I am not there. The hotel looks amazing. Dont forget to go to Robbatta Ya in Roppongi Hills. Also go to Takashimaya right when it opens. Amazing food in there. Great pictures…keep up the info stream on your adventures!

4. April 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Oh, wow – I was going to say it was a total bummer about the broken tv, but I think it’s safe to say that your hotel totally makes up for it. Heated bathroom floors?! I’m sold.
    Enjoy your time – I’m certain you will, though! 😛

5. April 17, 2010 3:49 pm

awesome hotel! glad you had a safe trip and i’m impressed that ali could eat so much airline food!

6. April 17, 2010 3:57 pm

u need to eat girl…u eat like a bird 🙂

and yeah, so i hate u…

a trip, a hotel…amazing.

7. April 17, 2010 4:03 pm

ohhh…how fun! I’m going to mirror the sentiments of everyone else and say um, totally JEALOUS.
    The heated bathroom floors sound so luxurious- and the nail dryer!! le sigh

8. April 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Omg, I’m sooooo jealous!! What a cool trip!! Enjoy every minute of it!! 🙂

9. highonhealthy permalink
    April 17, 2010 4:06 pm

That.. is so amazing. I want food like that on my trip! And that hotel is gorgeous. Heated floors? Yes, please.

10. April 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Oh yes, the Japanese DO know how to do things right! Glad you had a good flight! So you recommend that book? Have a wonderful time!

11. traynharder23 permalink
    April 17, 2010 4:23 pm

AMAZING! i miss japan already. i’ve been there a couple of times, but i miss it! LOL!

that ramen- i think i’ts ramen, not soba, LOOKS AMAZING! have fun and don’t get lost anywhere!

12. April 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Man, the best parts about international flights are the movies! I don’t know how you did it. Hopefully the return flight will be better. Cool room! Enjoy yourself!

13. April 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Wow, that hotel looks gorgeous. Its too bad that your TV on the plane didn’t work, but at least you had Jodi Picoult. I love her books, they are always so interesting and I learn a lot even though they are fiction.

Enjoy the heated bathroom floors. Honestly that sounds like the most amazing invention ever.

14. April 17, 2010 5:20 pm

So glad you made it safe– looks like an amazing trip already!!! I love posh hotels!

Take lots of pictures, and HAVE FUN!!!

15. April 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Wow, it already looks like an amazing trip! So lucky to have business class seats as that makes a huge difference (not that I’d know, but word on the street…)

Enjoy your great eats!

16. April 17, 2010 5:36 pm

LOVE the update – what a treat! Despite the lack of a TV, sounds like you kept yourself occupied (watching Ali eat – very funny).
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

17. Danielle permalink
    April 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Wow, the hotel looks really nice! And so does the airplane (at least the food does). Seriously, that plane food looks better than a lot of restaurant food.

Enjoy your trip 😀

18. April 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Aaw, sorry that your TV on the plane didn’t work. Hoppe the flight back is much better. That’s one NICE hotel, lucky duck. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thank you so much for the birthday wish 😀

19. April 17, 2010 9:39 pm

I’m glad you found way to entertain yourself for 12 hours. I’ll need to figure out something similar in a few weeks.

You two got a really nice place to stay. Enjoy your trip!!!

20. April 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Yayyy!!! You made it! Have a great time. I can’t believe you’re blogging from Japan. Looking forward to pics girl 🙂

21. April 18, 2010 12:11 am

The hotel looks top notch. Enjoying your stay would not be hard for you. Don’t forget to try the Toto toilet functions.

22. April 18, 2010 1:18 am

Yay Go Singapore!! 😀 *beams* Haha. I’m amazed you still managed to get on your flight despite the brouhaha over the iceland volcanic eruption. Lucky you. On my last flight on SIA my TV wasn’t working too, but I was appeased by a generous Times book voucher.

Airline food never looked so great. Same goes for your hotel room. Happy Holidays!!!

23. April 18, 2010 4:16 am

A non-working TV definitely brings an airco. down a notch or two! But I guess the hotel made up for it huh? Oh yeah, and the sushi! Woweee. I LOVE British Airways, but their idea of vegetarian is asparagus spears on a hot dog roll. At least, that’s what it was 2 years ago. 🙂 Enjoy your trip! Lookin’ forward to hear about your eats. By the looks of your hotel, you’ll have no problem. 🙂

24. April 18, 2010 4:59 am

I’m finally getting around to catching up on blogs after being in my tax season cocoon. I can’t believe all the stuff I’ve missed on your blog!

Totally jealous of your trip, but am so excited to read about it!

I don’t think I could handle an international flight without some kind of entertainment, at least you had a book and netbook to keep you busy!

And that is by far the nicest hotel I’ve seen. 😀

Enjoy!

25. April 18, 2010 7:12 am

Bummer about the broken TV – at least you had a nice book to keep you company. And all that food! That’s some high-quality looking foodstuffs. 🙂

Your hotel is gorgeous! And that truly is the hugest dressing room I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to hear about your adventures!

26. April 18, 2010 8:17 am

WOW, Ameena!
    How FUN!
    I bet this is going to be a trip to remember…
    Have a great time!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

27. April 18, 2010 8:19 am

Nice Digs…that hotel looks awesome!

28. April 18, 2010 9:56 am

OMG! i’m sure it was a LONG flight, but that “room” of yours is amazing!!
    ENJOY!!!

29. April 18, 2010 10:55 am

Sorry about the long flight and the broken tv…but I’m glad that it was worth it in the end! Your hotel suite is gorgeous! I can’t wait to see more pics! 🙂

30. April 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Once you fly first class trans oceanic its hard to go back – and I think you proved my point with these fabulous photos. What fun and the hotel looks amazing. You are so right, the Japanese really know how to do it!

31. April 18, 2010 6:53 pm

I can’t believe you are there! and still blogging! I LOVE it when bloggers take us along on their vacations.

makes me feel i got out and about in this world.

your hotel is AMAZING! how stunning

32. fitandfortysomething permalink
    April 19, 2010 6:45 am

what a flight! your hubby sure can eat a lot and he still looks great! love your bento box-what a treat 🙂 your hotel looks amazing too.

33. April 19, 2010 6:48 am

I’m too poor for business class.

34. April 20, 2010 6:38 pm

The hotel looks amazing, so jealous 🙂 Hope you have a lot of fun!!

35. April 22, 2010 2:59 am

So, where the flight attendants hot?

I have not traveled much, but I loved Lufthansa.

Thanks heavens you had a book to read and could use Ali’s computer! I would have been bored beyond belief!

1. Flip SlideHD Camcorder, 4 Hours (White) NEWEST VERSION | Shoot & Share Video Camera