Predictability

April 8, 2010

Lately I’ve been in sort of a rut, mainly because I feel like I do the exact same thing day after day.  It’s my own fault I guess because I thrive on routine and schedules.  But as much as I love my routine and schedules, my days have been so predictable as of late that I’m even boring myself.  And if I’m boring myself I can only imagine how much I am boring all of you.

Allow me to share a typical day in the life of boring Ameena:

• Mornings are a rush of going to the gym, getting Maya to school, settling down, and getting to work.
  • Afternoons are a blur of answering emails and blog reading doing work.
  • Late afternoons include a foray to the park, scrubbing paint and dirt off Maya, and getting dinner ready.
  • Early evenings involve hearing things like “I don’t like what’s for dinner,” and saying things like “Well I guess you aren’t hungry enough.”
  • Late evenings mean Maya finally goes to bed and I plant myself in front of the television.
  • Late, late evenings (I’m talking 9:30 here) I drift off to sleep in front of American Idol or some equally vapid show.

For obvious reasons I decided yesterday that I needed to mix things up a bit.  So what did I do?  I packed Maya in the car and drove to the library so  I could find something to read that didn’t involve my computer.

What?  You don’t head to the library to change things up?

Call me crazy but I was pretty excited when I found the new Jackie Collins book.  Yes it’s true.  I read Jackie Collins.  Trashy Hollywood novels aren’t usually my genre of choice but sometimes I just need a little vacation from reality.  I’m already halfway through and I’m feeling better.  So is my carpal tunnel.

I may just suggest we get take-out tonight.  I’m feeling pretty daring.

Make me feel better.  Tell me you read Jackie Collins.  Or something equally despicable.

1. April 8, 2010 7:55 pm

Ameena, Im sorry to tell you that I have never read a trashy Jackie Collins novel. However, its not because I have a holier than thou attitude and think I’m too good or intelligent for that kind of crap.
    Nope, I can do you one worse. I read gossip rags. Crap like Us Weekly. Not all the time, but as you say, they are my escape from reality. I can focus on someone else’s reality…scratch that. I can focus on bullshit thats not reality, that was written about someone who is famous for a reason I don’t know and did something that I don’t actually care about.
    Isnt great being daring…

2. April 8, 2010 8:13 pm

So, my major trash reads tend to be mystery novels. I like some that are not exactly low-brow (PD James, for instance), but I’ll stoop to almost anything, really.
    A comment on your routine – I’m amazed that ANYONE goes to the gym before work. That puts you in my “most impressive” category. I know that you now feel special.

3. Leah permalink
    April 8, 2010 8:30 pm

I haven’t read Jackie Collins, however I do love the Flowers in the Attic series. If that isn’t shameful I don’t know what is.
    My days are routine too. Get up, get ready. Drop the dog off at my parents. Go to work. Come home. Workout. Make dinner. Eat. Make lunch and breakfast for the next day. Walk the dog. Go to bed.
    Its fun being me!!

4. actorsdiet permalink
    April 8, 2010 9:29 pm

i still read sweet valley high. i’m tempted to go back and read v.c. andrews

5. April 8, 2010 11:21 pm

LOL, this post made me laugh. I am the same as you, a creature of routine. I can’t stand it when something breaks my routine, but sometimes i do get super bored
    I LOVE a trashy novel. Definitely need to get my hands on this one.

6. April 9, 2010 1:13 am

Hi, uuhhmmm, I used to read a LOT of Mills&Boons, and I read every bit of trashy Hollywood tabloid I can get my hands on….eeerr, does it count?

7. April 9, 2010 3:08 am

To make you feel better… The ONLY books I read are trashy chick lit!

I get bored with anything too deep or boring.

8. April 9, 2010 3:27 am

The only books I read are entertaining stuff. Chick lit, silly suspense novels, and things like the books the show True Blood is based off of. The most serious I get is Jodi Picoult. And I so go to the library to switch things up too. LOL

9. April 9, 2010 3:28 am

I am soo routine lately, too. Like you – on the one hand, I don’t mind it. And on the other, some change might be nice here and there 😉
    And, I won’t hate on your Jackie Collins love. (I won’t say it’s because I don’t know who she is – but even if I did – I wouldn’t judge! haha)
    Enjoy your book 🙂

10. April 9, 2010 3:44 am

I have a subscription to US Weekly…and seeing it in my mailbox every Friday is literally thte highlight of many of my weeks 🙂

11. April 9, 2010 4:01 am

I’m reading that EXACT same book right now! I just started that and finishing up Chelsea Handler’s book. Not ashamed here 🙂

12. lgw permalink
    April 9, 2010 4:15 am

as a soon-to-be librarian (2 classes to go), i’m thrilled to know that people visit their library to mix things up and stop the boring routines.

YAY!

13. April 9, 2010 4:55 am

You must eat an early dinner!

14. April 9, 2010 5:19 am

If it makes you feel better, my days are equally as boring and routine. I thrive on routine as well. A random required weeknight out and I’m all thrown off. I don’t really like chick lit–type books but, hey, if you enjoy it why not? I just started The Hunger Games (it’s YA) last night and I’m so close to finishing it that going to work it making me crazy right now. It’s the type of book you can’t put down. So if you’re up for another routine-changer next, so far I’d recommend it.

15. April 9, 2010 5:35 am

You are a busy lady! But I can see how the same routine can get boring. Going to the library is a great way to mix it up, it’s actually very similar to what I do when I am really bored, I go to Barnes & Noble and sit there for hours reading solely magazines and catching up on all the Hollywood gossip! Pretty dispicable, haha!

16. Danielle permalink
    April 9, 2010 5:53 am

I saw that book in Borders not too long ago and I contemplated buying it! Trashy Hollywood is my guilty pleasure (pretty much every show on VH1)

17. April 9, 2010 6:07 am

Are you kidding me…trashy novels…um YES!

18. April 9, 2010 6:27 am

I’ve never read it, but theres absolutely nothing wrong with trashy novels! gotta escape somehow!!

19. Caroline permalink
    April 9, 2010 6:44 am

I was just talking to my mom about my addiction to trashy tv shows like American Idol and she said “Well read a trashy book instead .. it’s slightly better than watching a trashy tv show I guess”

20. April 9, 2010 6:56 am

I’m ridiculous about how much I love planning ahead. But then get annoyed when I feel like I’m in an endless cycle of boringness. It’s like I’m screwing myself over on purpose… lame.

Enjoy the book!

21. April 9, 2010 8:16 am

I have been in a funk too.. mainly because of my knee. I really need to get out of it though.. maybe I go to the libaray today 🙂

22. April 9, 2010 8:27 am

I haven’t read a book in way too long. Usually I read one during Spring Break, but I’ve been cleaning our house like a mad woman that I’ve had no time. Hopefully this summer I’ll get my butt to the local library b/c I do love a good book! Enjoy yours!! 🙂

23. April 9, 2010 8:30 am

While I don’t read Jackie Collins, I do find myself stuck in a routine rut as of late. I haven’t had much of a change in routine in so long, that I’m convinced those fun and spontaneous lives I hear about on TV are a myth. Nevertheless, I’ll keep looking for them…

24. April 9, 2010 8:40 am

Haha, Jackie Collins! Hey, we all need a little diversion sometimes 🙂 I read the Twilight books, if that makes you feel better. I didn’t enjoy them, so we can still be friends, right?

I think we all have ruts. Like you, I adore my schedules, so any boredom is my own fault. My schedule, especially during the week, is exactly the same: walk or yoga, shower, breakfast, get ready, go to work (meetings, lunch, online activities, etc), come home, get the cats fed, get my husband fed, get myself fed, prepare stuff for the next day, watch TV, read, sleep. I love it, but, yes, sometimes it’s a little too predictable.

25. April 9, 2010 8:55 am

i am hopelessly routine oriented/structured as well, so i know exactly what you are saying.
    though i haven’t in a while, i have definitely read trashy novels like jackie collins. chick lit is great stuff, a good way to just enjoy and not have to think.

26. April 9, 2010 9:04 am

haha…i have read jackie collins, and there is no shame in some light reading! sometimes, the brain just needs a break!

27. April 9, 2010 9:29 am

I’ve never read Jackie Collins…hmm must investigate that soon. I looove chic lit and other stuff like that 🙂 It is definitely my guilty pleasure.
    I still go to the library too! I have stopped myself from checking books out because I NEVER ever return things on time, so I only read while I’m there. It’s so relaxing!

28. April 9, 2010 9:37 am

Routines and the breaking of them alike are wonderful things! 🙂 I’m so happy to hear that you treated yourself to a deliciously fun book – you deserve it!! I freely confess I read mystery novels, children’s sci fi, and vampire novels! 🙂

29. April 9, 2010 11:49 am

I have never read Jackie Collins but I am not above a trashy novel now and again. Erm.. now and again comes quite frequently. Because most of my books are trashy romantic novels. And when I get sick of the romance, I’ll turn to some teen novels. Yes, I still read them. They are entertaining and I don’t have to think much, which is always nice.

30. April 9, 2010 12:07 pm

I just bought the latest installment of a series I started reading in 9th grade… no judgments! Books are for pleasure 🙂

31. April 9, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey, Ameena!
    Great post, as usual 🙂
    I bet this new Jackie Collins book is very entretaining, hehehe!
    Have a great weekend!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

32. April 9, 2010 4:19 pm

ha – love it….i would love to be your pal in real life. i would totally watch bad tv and bad books with u. and u could cook for me! 🙂

33. April 9, 2010 8:33 pm

I actually miss going into a library. The last time I went into one was a few months ago when I had to use PC for a few minutes. It was an odd experience to say the least.

34. April 9, 2010 10:07 pm

Can I just say that in no way do you look like you are a mom. I was like “oh here’s a nice 19/20 year olds blog to check out” and then was shocked that you have a daughter. oh and ur super gorgeous too.

35. April 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I have not hear of that author before! But I think something like that, along with a long hot bath would help me get out of the rut I am in too 😉