Kicking Myself

April 6, 2010

As suggested by my mother, I’m currently on an egg-free diet to see if it helps my numerous stomach problems.  Not having scrambled eggs as my go-to meal means that I am usually:

a. Irritated that I need to put so much more thought into my meals.
b. Hungry because I don’t have time to put more thought into my meals.

Today I decided that to avoid my stomach eating itself I really needed to plan lunch in advance.  So I turned to my freezer and broiled a piece Trader Joe’s turbot, which, incidentally, is quite tasty!  After I finished patting myself on the back for coming up with a decent lunch, I multi-tasked and checked emails as I ate.

After I sorted through various spam, including an urgent note from a man in Africa who wants to send me $3 million and a tempting offer of Xanax at wholesale prices, I clicked on an email from my mom entitled “A fishy story…IF ‘ U’ eat fish – Please watch this.‏”

I eat fish, so as instructed, I watched the above video.  And then I stopped eating lunch.  And then I kicked myself for not knowing what country my turbot was from.  And then I kicked myself for being so naive to think that 99% of fish came from either the Pacific or the Atlantic Ocean.  And then I kicked myself again for having Maya because she is the reason I can’t eat anything anymore, and why I’m on an egg-free diet, and why I am eating more fish than I’d like.  Luckily for Maya she was at school because who knows what or who I would have kicked next.

While it seemed more than likely my lunch wasn’t farmed in a sewer, I decided not to take any chances.  I threw it out.  30 minutes later I was hungry and irritated and back to square one.

Check this video out and let me know what you think!

April 6, 2010 7:09 pm

All I can say is Ive never been happier about the fact that I dont like fish.

2. April 6, 2010 7:46 pm

Eep! Scary video…I have never eaten seafood before, and I don’t plan on starting so I guess I’m safe for now! Do you have a post about your tummy troubles? I’m confused… I have a history of stomach problems too, and finally towards the end of last summer the doctors figured out what was going on- such a relief after suffering from constant stomach aches for over a year!

3. Danielle permalink
    April 6, 2010 7:50 pm

Yet another reason I am vegan…

Don’t go hungry!! There’s always grains (quinoa, rice, millet, oats), nuts, seeds, avocados, beans (if you cook it with seaweed it gets rid of indigestion supposedly) 😀

4. April 6, 2010 8:02 pm

i love seafood cause i’m not much of a meat eater, but it’s definitely videos and news like this that make me think twice before buying seafood. especially now that i have two more little mouths to feed. thank you for sharing that.

5. April 6, 2010 11:55 pm

Your post made me laugh out load so hard! I get in these panic google/info overload paranoid health freak-outs at times too. I have gone through my mercury infused fish phase and am currently at peice (denial) with it….
    Barbara

6. April 7, 2010 2:54 am

Yeah…I read about this all the time, and it’s pretty scary. Now that I don’t eat fish, I don’t have to worry about it personally, but it’s scary– those sewage fish farm shots– ugh!

7. April 7, 2010 4:29 am

Daaaaahling, I hate these types of scare mongering news reports. I don’t watch them. If you like fish, eat it, just buy it from a reputable store. If you keep watching silly news reports, sooner or later you may get scared of your own shadow.
    BTW, so long as your food is properly cooked, there should be no problems. If it was so bad, how could supermarkets sell it?
    Well, thats my opinion.

8. April 7, 2010 4:54 am

I have to agree with Heavenly Housewife. Local news is always trying to scare us with various reports of what we’re doing wrong and what we need to stop doing and it can all become very overwhelming if we take it all in word for word. If I listened to every word I heard from my local news station I would never leave my house because of fear. I don’t think you need to have anymore anxiety when it comes to what you eat. But one thing you maybe could do is try and buy more local fish if that helps ease your concerns. I’m sure there has to be some good fish markets in southern california. I mean, how can life go on without salmon?? It is sooooooo delicious!! 🙂

I hope you have a wonderful day, Ameena!! 🙂

9. April 7, 2010 5:20 am

I third Heavenly Housewife’s statement.

Educate yourself about where your fish comes from, but no need to stop eating it.

10. April 7, 2010 5:24 am

Yikes… this doesn’t help the fact that uncooked fish/chicken grosses me out anyway. But, I don’t think you have anything to worry about. If you’re buying it locally, you like it, AND it agrees with you, then keep on eating it!

11. April 7, 2010 5:27 am

I have to admit, while I do pay attention to “organic” and “farm raised”, sometimes you are going to eat something that you don’t know where it comes from, and thats OK. I don’t feel guilty for not eating organic chicken. It is expensive, and sometimes I need a cheaper go-to. The same with fish: I know tuna has mercury in it, but I love tuna sushi and I don’t eat it enough to cut it out of my diet. Be educated, but don’t ban yourself from everything!

12. April 7, 2010 5:31 am

Darn. I’m at work, so no video for me. But all I needed to hear was “farmed in a sewer” and I know I’m coming back to this from the privacy of my own home. Maybe I’ll wait till after dinner. No need for me to go hungry, too.

13. April 7, 2010 5:39 am

Ewww… I think it’s definitely important to know where your food is coming from (animal, vegetable, whatever) and then make decisions based on that. Sewer fish? Um, no thanks!

14. April 7, 2010 5:53 am

They inspect less than 1% of the fish that come in!!!! What a terrible stat and what a terrible fact that the fish I may be eating may come from a sewer 😦 What is safe to eat nowadays!!

15. April 7, 2010 6:16 am

Oh, wow.
    Poor Maya 😛

• Nadia permalink
      April 7, 2010 3:11 pm

i;m pretty sure she was joking w the maya bit;)

16. April 7, 2010 6:19 am

Lucky for me I’m not a huge fan of fish!

What if you pre-cooked some grains like quinoa and blanched a ton of veggies to have on hand? That might help with last minute hunger?

17. April 7, 2010 6:36 am

I don’t eat much fish. Because the only way I enjoy it is either in sushi or fish tacos. LOL I do like shellfish though. I’ll be honest and say I prefer ignorance on some things with what I eat. Otherwise there would be nothing left! I always feel so bad that you have so many stomach sensitivities. 😦

18. Caroline permalink
    April 7, 2010 6:40 am

While seafood from other countries may contain different chemicals, there is no doubt in my mind that US fish farms use chemicals too. I don’t eat fish, but I feel like this video was biased. After writing a term paper of the propaganda put forth by the FDA, I really don’t trust a lot of the information they try to tell us. What makes malachite green worse than aspartame? Just because a government organization tells us something is “bad” or “good” does not mean we need to take it at face value, ya know? I don’t know .. I’m sure some commercially farmed fish is terrible, and some is okay. Dang the FDA gets me fired up 🙂

• April 7, 2010 12:24 pm

Really good points Caroline. I know that farmed fish is bad in general so I avoid it as much as possible. That being said, I’d probably eat a piece of farmed US fish over a piece of fish from Vietnam, if hard-pressed. But my goal is to stop eating fish unless it is wild, and eventually I want to stop eating fish altogether but I have so many limitations as it is right now!

19. April 7, 2010 7:53 am

I think it is important to be alert about what you put into your mouth but we should draw a line about how much is too much.Don’t stress yourself with too much info. Take it easy!

20. April 7, 2010 8:31 am

I’m at work, so I can’t watch the video, but I’m guessing it tells you something along the lines of, “You’re going to die and you are a morally terrible person for eating fish in the first place.” I’m not sure what I think about this sort of condemnation. Yesterday, they took me out for my welcome lunch and I wanted to get tuna and my supervisor’s supervisor said, “Oh, no, Kim, don’t get tuna. Oh, the mercury! THE MERCURY!” Uh, ok. I realize there are probably dangerous levels of certain things and toxicities can happen, but I don’t want to drive myself nuts. I eat fish occasionally and I don’t think that’ll do much harm, but maybe I’m being naive.

21. April 7, 2010 9:22 am

Kudos to you…seriously I don’t think I could give up eggs!!

22. April 7, 2010 9:29 am

I am surprised that you had oatmeal haven’t becoem best of friends by now. I don’t eat eggs straight up if it is in a cake its ok.. but otherwise I get REALLY sick.

23. April 7, 2010 9:55 am

That is scary… I’m not sure I needed to be aware of that. Let’s just say it may be a while before I eat fish… until I forget what I learned anyway.

24. April 7, 2010 10:42 am

Ugh. I SHOULD check the seafood watch site before I go out to eat/grocery shop, but I never do…

25. April 7, 2010 10:43 am

Ahh no more eggs?! Poor girl 😦 I can’t imagine having so many legitimate dietary restrictions. I really hope it doesn’t turn out that you can’t have eggs though.

That video makes me happy that I don’t eat fish… I was never big on them to begin with because I always thought they smelled bad, and maybe it’s because they were farmed in sewage. Ahh. Gross.

26. April 7, 2010 11:03 am

zoinks!!! (clearly, my son’s scooby doo- watching is rubbing off on me)
    that was an eye opener! i love fish, serve it at home and order it out. will i continue to do so? ulp, i probably will, but i will certainly be more mindful of where it came from.

27. April 7, 2010 11:05 am

Wow that is scary. Thanks for sharing the story. I had some suspicion about the chemicals they used in the imported seafood. One time I was eating something with shrimp in it at a restaurant I tasted some strong chemical smell/taste and stopped eating shrimp after that. This news story is credible — people do really weird things to make money and some farmers/people may be unaware of the dangers of preservatives and antibiotics in food supply. They might think its ok as health problems don’t show up for years.

28. April 7, 2010 1:05 pm

makes me very glad I dont like fish–although im with tina and some things i just want to be ignorant about.

sorrya bout the eggs—id have a hard time giving those up!

29. highonhealthy permalink
    April 7, 2010 1:16 pm

I don’t eat fishies so it’s all good. Even when I did, the only fish I ate was usually from my dad and we knew exactly where the fish came from.

That’s disappointing that you may not be able to eat eggs.. I’m currently testing out whether I have an intolerance to gluten or not. Something I’m eating is really bothering my stomach but I have absolutely NO idea as to what it could be. So now it means I have to test.

30. Nadia permalink
    April 7, 2010 3:08 pm

wow, so surprised to see how many readers aren’t fish eaters. i totally agree w the majority on the paranoia that this society creates w everything….including all the stuff ur not supposed to eat while pregnant;) u know i’m the first to turn to raw fish and soft cheeses, so def don’t beat urself up. i’m sure the fish from traders and certainly bristol is fresh…shaz is also v particular on not getting farm raised, so i’m always looking for that label. this will not deter me from making my salmon for you;)
    XOXOX

31. fitandfortysomething permalink
    April 7, 2010 3:14 pm

ugh i can’t bring myself to watch this. i really love salmon and do not want to know why i should not eat it……i can’t take the truth!

32. actorsdiet permalink
    April 7, 2010 3:31 pm

i haven’t watched the video yet but i read that TJ’s has just agreed to adopt sustainable fish in their products – should be a little while before it hits shelves, though.

33. April 7, 2010 5:45 pm

wow – i love whole eggs..sorry u are still in misery…so all this started after having Maya? Is that common in pregancy stuff? developing intolerances after having kids? hmm…another reason i won’t have kids 🙂

34. April 7, 2010 6:07 pm

Oh no! ameena! You LOVE eggs! This freaking sucks! Urgh. Seriously, isn’t there a pill or something? My friend has digestive issues similar to yours, and she pops a pill and feels fine…

Hey, have you ever thought of investing in a slow-cooker? Just pour everything into it the night before, and breakfast will be ready….

35. April 7, 2010 6:21 pm

You are a doll! Seriously.

Are you writing a book right now??!!! Ugh – my dream. … could you tell me more about the process, what your doing, …how your not giving up…:(…i always fear that it’s stupid to even consider, it’ll be a waste of time and I’ll never get published…not to mention I have just random “Startings” of several books started …;)

36. April 7, 2010 9:40 pm

I’ve always made sure that whenever I buy fish that it’s always fresh and from a reliable place. I still love fish even after watching that.

Hopefully you’ll be able to get to the root of your tummy problems soon.

1. Let Me Introduce Myself | 6-Figure Teen