A Buffet of All Buffets

April 4, 2010

Yesterday we attended the brunch of all brunches at our friends Adam and Maliha’s place.  The food, the set up, and the decor was so amazing that I felt like I was at the Peninsula Hotel’s buffet brunch.  Minus the $75 price tag.

There was a chef who made crepes to order.

There were also waffles and hash browns that the chef had made ahead of time but you can’t really see them because my husband is blocking their view.  He elbowed everyone out of the way to be the first in line.  He’s classy like that.

I obviously wasn’t able to eat a crepe but they looked delicious and smelled even better.  I did get to eat a spoonful of the Nutella filling which is almost as good as eating a crepe.  Almost.

Maliha had tons of other food that I could eat:

Watermelon/feta/green bean salad, asparagus and tomato salad, shrimp salad, roast beef, salmon, and an assortment of muffins, bagels, and croissants.

One of the best parts of the afternoon was the coffee bar she had set up on the balcony:

From lattes to cappuccino, the coffee person had it all.  I had a cappuccino and it was delicious.

It was a chilly but clear day and the tables outside were a great addition:

Dessert included fruit, a vanilla cake, baklava, and a Godiva Chocolate Bar Cake, courtesy of Maya and I.

Maya was nice enough to help bake the cake, despite the fact she couldn’t attend the party.  Pretty selfless of her for a change.

My friends are gorgeous and are all blessed with amazing hair.  Without the need for Japanese straightening.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous.

Maliha, Nurya, Me, Nadia

Despite eating enough for an entire weekend, we still went out to dinner.  We relieved my mom, who watched Maya for 4+ hours, and headed to Hugo’s Restaurant in Hollywood.

I had the Moroccan-Style Stew which was more like a vegetable soup.  It was okay but not the best thing I’ve had at Hugo’s.

Butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, green beans, garbanzo beans, garlic and raisins in a slightly spicy, exotically full-flavored Moroccan sauce. Served with fresh mint, a side of yogurt, cucumbers, a slightly spicy harissa sauce and organic quinoa.

Ali had the Tres Tacos which he said were good but too small:

Chicken breast and vegetables sautéed with organic black beans, corn, Pico de Gallo and roasted tomato chipotle sauce. Served on flour tortillas spread with guacamole and filled with shredded lettuce. Served with a small Caesar salad.

And Maya had pasta with broccoli, which she didn’t like.

I’ve decided that from now on I’m going to bring her food with us wherever we go because she rarely likes restaurant food.  Not only does it kill me to see food thrown away, but I hate paying for it too.

I’ve also decided that from now on I’m going to let Maya take all my blog pictures because she does a much better job than me:

I’m sure you are probably all relieved too!

1. April 4, 2010 9:13 am

What a lovely food spread and good job Maya!!

2. April 4, 2010 9:59 am

I’m just imagining your husband elbowing people out of the way to get to the food … 😉 That is a gorgeous spread. And you four are a gorgeous group of gals! I’m glad you had a good time 🙂 Nice picture taking, Maya!

Happy Easter!

3. April 4, 2010 10:21 am

Wow, that is an amazing brunch spread. And how nice of Maya to bake and take pictures for your blog. Can she take pictures for my blog?

4. April 4, 2010 10:25 am

Wow…Now that’s a buffet!!! The only downside to buffets is that there’s so much to choose from, you can’t have it all at the same time. I can see little Maya as a budding photographer. 🙂

5. April 4, 2010 11:33 am

yummm that food looks awesome! The crepes look amazing…I have never had a good crepe before! How sweet of Maya to help you with the cake 🙂 My little sister is 10 and she LOVES to help in the kitchen.

6. April 4, 2010 12:30 pm

holy moly! what a buffet! that would have been quite challenging for me.

7. traynharder23 permalink
    April 4, 2010 1:16 pm

so…..when can i come to one of your brunch outings!?!??!!? damn! that is some HIGH CLASS service!

anyways, you have gorgeous hair! don’t put it down! it’s so raven black! much better than my bluish black hair. sounds like a bruise. my spring break is coming up, so we shall hang very soon!

8. April 4, 2010 2:08 pm

Bahahah Your husband sounds JUST like my dad and brother they are the first to grab any bite of food!

Your hair looks amazing :)!

April 4, 2010 2:35 pm

That looks like an AWESOME brunch!

Maya is a good little photographer!!
    Oh, and also, now I want crepes.

10. April 4, 2010 2:44 pm

Ha ha …i think Maya is so dang cutey…..and yeah ur buffet sure did rock and the Godiva chocolate cake sure is the cherry on the icing :-)))

11. April 4, 2010 2:58 pm

u all look beautiful. i hope u found some foods u can tolerate. and lot of chocolate 😉

your friend Nurya…kinda looks like Kim Kardashian!

12. April 4, 2010 3:13 pm

Oh my! What a beautiful spread of food your friend put out! You’re right, it does look like a high class buffet. You and your friends are beautiful Ameena, great picture!

What a sweetie of Maya for helping out with the cake. Great job with the picture taking too Maya!

13. highonhealthy permalink
    April 4, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh.My.Gosh. That buffet is amazing and so is your friend. I could never arrange something like that. Or maybe I could if I had the desire too but it seems like it takes a lot of planning.

Those crepes look delicious. I love crepes!

14. April 4, 2010 4:12 pm

Great job with picture Maya!!

15. April 4, 2010 4:37 pm

What an incredible buffet!! So fancy!! Love all the pictures! 🙂

16. actorsdiet permalink
    April 4, 2010 5:02 pm

great job with the pic, maya!

17. April 4, 2010 5:13 pm

Beautiful pictures! I love the one of you four girls– y’all are all striking!

Brunch looks awesome!

18. April 4, 2010 5:47 pm

You and your girlfriends are gorgeous… you all have such nice, shiny hair! And if it takes a straightening treatment to get it that way, then so be it. 🙂

That’s quite the buffet- the crepe stand and coffee bar are such great ideas and something that everyone probably really enjoyed!

19. April 4, 2010 8:57 pm

Haha it can be you and Maya’s blog – she can be the photographer and you be the writer – perfect.

The brunch looks great – I would LOVE that coffee bar and that crepe…and that chocolate cake!

20. April 4, 2010 8:57 pm

ps let me know if you still have trouble viewing my pics – that is odd

21. April 4, 2010 10:19 pm

This pic: Maliha, Nurya, Me, Nadia
    You are all radiant beauties!!!! Just so beautiful, love it Ameena!

looks like you all had a lovely day, that’s fantastic!
    xoxo

22. April 5, 2010 12:12 am

A Big high five for Maya. Kids are just too smart these days. Could yr readers be included in yr food events? So yumilicious.

23. onelittlejill permalink
    April 5, 2010 4:54 am

WOW that looks amazing. I am quite jealous!

24. April 5, 2010 6:04 am

Everything looks amazing! What a beautiful spread. Looks like such a fun time.

Are all kids picky eaters? I know I was.

25. April 5, 2010 6:34 am

holy moly i woulda been in heaven with shrimp, roast beef AND SALMON!!! goodness take me there! so jealous you got to goo!

26. April 5, 2010 6:55 am

What a brunch!! I would loved to have been there- I can’t believe the spread- and the decadence of the Godiva cake!!

The food looks almost as beautiful as you do. You are gorgeous and your hair looks so silky and full of body and shine! Did I just re-write a Pantene commercial? Either way, I meant it!

27. fitandfortysomething permalink
    April 5, 2010 7:02 am

what a fun brunch! the food looks delicious!
    you are all beautiful ladies-hair straightening or not 🙂

28. louisianagrown permalink
    April 5, 2010 7:12 am

Um, wow. We sure don’t do anything like that Easter brunch down here. We just throw some random food on the counter and hope that everyone gets enough. 😉 Maya just might be a future blogger!

29. Susan permalink
    April 5, 2010 8:25 am

Girl you look gawrgess! And Maya is deffo the next Annie Leibovitz!

I’m glad the brunch had a bunch of foods that you could eat – the spread looks fantastic!

30. April 5, 2010 9:12 am

Hey pretty lady!

Wow, THAT’S a buffet–what a spread! Hehe, a bit classier than my Easter brunch–I ate my bodyweight in Southern soul food.

31. April 5, 2010 9:31 am

Wow, so much food food, it looks amazing!

32. April 5, 2010 10:35 am

Wow that is one amazing looking spread!!! YUM!!! I have actually never had a crepe… I think i’m missing something very delicious!

33. April 5, 2010 1:10 pm

oh my gosh that looked amazing! simply amazing!

I was going to bake us some salmon but the earthquake hit…so we hit KFC later

pathetic, no?

so tonight it’s salmon and what else I can figure out!

loved the coffee bar…what a beautiful day you had!

and you with all your friends! you guys are gorgeous!!!
    xo

34. Nadia permalink
    April 5, 2010 3:11 pm

great job on the foodie photographie ameena! i couldn’t have done it better myself! it was truly the buffet of all buffets…still dreaming of those crepes! love the pic:)
    XOXOXOXO

35. April 11, 2010 10:16 am

good lord, that spread looks amazing! and so do all of you hot mamas. actually i’m not sure that all of you are mamas, but just assume i’m using the word as a figure of speech. either way, you’re still a MILF 😉

1. Out of the Ordinary « luvtoeat