Food Conundrums

March 30, 2010

I don’t understand….how Giada De Laurentiis can be successful, beautiful, smart, articulate, and make one of the best jarred sauces I have ever tasted?

I picked this up at Target of all places (along with $100 worth of stuff I didn’t need) and it is amazing.  Seriously, I was eating this with a spoon, straight out of the jar.  Gross but true.

I don’t understand…how the Tasty Bite people put one of the world’s most delicious daal’s into a vacuum-packed, shelf-stable container that can be microwaved at a moment’s notice?

As I devour this amazing concoction weekly, I try not to think too much about the fact that it is shelf-stable.  And vacuum-packed.

I don’t understand…why I go to all kinds of effort to make food delicious and presentable for Maya and Ali?

But when it comes time for me to eat something I throw together the most random, un-photogenic meals imaginable.

I don’t understand…why I let my father-in-law pay $30 for the horrible fish I ordered but didn’t eat at Terranea?

Maybe the resort’s overpriced, sub-par food is part of the reason they are in bankruptcy?  Seriously, I’m feeling nauseous again just looking at this picture.

I don’t understand…why gluten-free corn flakes are double the price of the regular ones?

I guess it doesn’t really matter though because I love them so much that I am willing to pay a premium.  It is because of this said premium that I informed Maya that she is not to touch my corn flakes.  I am a selfish and/or cheap mother.

I don’t understand…why I’ve never tasted millet until today?

I was chatting with Maie’s gorgeous sister Sunday night and she informed me that millet is delicious and super simple to make.  She is right!

Black Bean Millet (1 serving)

1/4 cup of millet
1/2 cup of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup of salsa
1/2 avocado
1 cup of spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil

Rinse and drain the millet, follow the cooking instructions on the package (it cooks just like rice). Mix all of the remaining ingredients and enjoy.

1. March 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I’ve heard such great things about that marinara sauce, must try it now. Your dish looks so much yummier (is that a word?) than the fish dish at the restaurant!

2. March 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Those are some good observations. I’ve done that very same thing with marinara sauce. More than once, I’m sad to admit. 🙂 But it was sooooo good.

3. March 31, 2010 12:02 am

Ok so the whole GF thing, you know i am GF and i guess it depends on how sensitive you are, but chex brand cereals, even among very gluten sensitive peers, their rice and corn, are FINE. May be a fraction of the cost for you.

Thx for your sweet comment that you know i bust ass and give 110% at everything I do and it shows. That was really sweet 🙂

And your meat eating/vegan comment to that post..thank you for sharing. I am so with you!

xxoox

4. March 31, 2010 3:46 am

Funny you should mention millet… I’ve had a package of it sitting in my pantry for ages now and I’ve had no idea what to do with. Maybe I’ll give it a shot sometime soon; I don’t know why, but I’m always wary about trying new grains…

5. March 31, 2010 4:07 am

I need to try millet. And I LOVE Giada, so I’m glad her sauce is tasty 🙂

6. March 31, 2010 4:09 am

Wow, giada has her own sauce now? Got to try it next time i’m in america.
    As a rule, i try not to love pre packaged foods too much cause they always end up discontinuing them sooner or later, so I always feel its better if I can make it myself.

7. March 31, 2010 4:10 am

I’ve never tried any of Giada’s products before. Good to hear her sauce is a winner 🙂

8. Silvia permalink
    March 31, 2010 5:01 am

Tried one of the Giada sauces, too, for the first time yesterday (simple marinara), and was WOW-ed! Sooo good! Best jarred tomato sauce I’ve ever come across, and I have tried them all (mostly the ones with pretty jars so that I can put my own stuff in them ;-).

9. March 31, 2010 5:22 am

I just saw Giada’s line at Target for the first time last week and wondered if it was any good! I’ll have to try it now…

10. March 31, 2010 5:34 am

I just bought millet this past weekend to try for the first time, too!

11. March 31, 2010 5:35 am

I need to try that sauce. I’m still in search of my favorite jarred sauce. And here’s what I don’t understand…how Giada can cook for a living and still look like Brunette Barbie.

12. March 31, 2010 5:41 am

I hate how gluten free food is so much more expensive than the regular varieties! I hope the will change soon!

13. March 31, 2010 5:57 am

I hate how ALL healthy foods are more expensive than their junky counterparts. Maybe it’s because the companies know that the people who eat them value their health (and their stomach’s sensitivities/needs like yours) so they will pay. They know we won’t strike on eating the stuff.

14. March 31, 2010 6:03 am

giada has sauce? i wasn’t sure how i felt about her when she first started getting famous but i think it’s almost time to welcome her with open arms haha

15. louisianagrown permalink
    March 31, 2010 6:23 am

The thing of food-related topics that I don’t understand would be SO much larger than this. Doesn’t it seem like they left something OUT of those cornflakes, so they should be CHEAPER?

16. Danielle permalink
    March 31, 2010 6:24 am

I can’t believe you had never tried Millet! You should try the Millet bread…it’s delicious 😀

I’ve seen that Tasty Bite product at the store and after the good review…I might have to give it a try!

17. Ali permalink
    March 31, 2010 6:41 am

In particular, it was Catalina Kitchen that was not impressive at Terranea. We met a family that had driven up from Manhattan Beach and I figured they would not be coming back. Though the resort views are great when you walk out toward the cliffs. Did you take any pics Ameena?

18. March 31, 2010 6:50 am

Ha, I can completely understand your food conundrums. How do these food companies do it? Making delicious products in a jar, a box, and a can that taste better than things I slave over?!? Must be the additives (that’s what I tell myself anyway).
    And the prices of so many things just boggle my mind. Overpriced restaurant food being one of them- especially for salads. They are so darn expensive and not always impressive.

I haven’t tried millet either but your recipe looks mighty tasty. I’ll have to find some!

19. March 31, 2010 7:18 am

I never watch the Food Network, but on the off-chance I see it at someone else’s house, Giada is the only one I enjoy watching! She is so bouncy and gives off great, positive energy. I’ve seen the Target adds for her new line… glad to hear it’s good!

March 31, 2010 7:57 am

Oh I wanna try millet SO badly!!

Also, I love Giada and now I want to try that sauce. We used to watch Everyday Itallian at lunch when I worked at the bank. The boys would get upset if we didnt. Hmmmm . . . I wonder why?

21. March 31, 2010 8:04 am

Millet and Giada’s sauce – must try!!! I love marinara sauce anyway, I can eat it straight from a jar by the spoon too. YUM!!! I always get extra sauce when I have pizza or pasta.
    Gluten free cereal if expensive but I imagine that it must be worth it!!! And I don’t blame you about not letting anyone else touch it. If someone touches my TJ’s almond butter in my house… it’s ON.
    Much love!

22. March 31, 2010 9:13 am

well i love giada and i am surprised i still have not gotten any of her stuff at target yet! i will this coming week for sure now!
    the saucs must be good 🙂

23. March 31, 2010 9:22 am

I eat sauce out of the jar, ain’t no thang :). Also, I eat salsa too like that 🙂

24. March 31, 2010 9:35 am

I do not make food for myself look pretty either! I guess I just do not want to take the extra time for presentation!

Millet – I love millet!

25. March 31, 2010 9:46 am

I tried Millet a few weeks ago.. my thoughts.. I don’t love it as much as I LOVE Quinoa

26. actorsdiet permalink
    March 31, 2010 10:50 am

i just saw giada’s sauce and was wondering! good to know! i love those indian vacuum packed meals too….

27. March 31, 2010 10:50 am

I love vacuum-packed Indian food!
    And I can’t leave Target without spending $100. I’ve decided it’s just not possible, unless you steal things.

28. March 31, 2010 12:03 pm

Andrew and I love those Indian meals. So easy and quite tasty!! 🙂

I need to try millet out, that recipe looks like a good place to start. Thanks for sharing, Ameena! 🙂

29. March 31, 2010 1:33 pm

OH I love love love millet! I have been eating it (mostly as a breakfast grain) for years! was what I fed JJ instead of baby cereals. it’s so easily digestible too.

I have never eaten it like that…yum!
    Ameena… you have to go find that quinoa pasta too (can you eat that??)

you will love it!

your post (as always) was fun. sorry your fish was gross!

30. March 31, 2010 2:04 pm

I love Nature’s Path cereal. It’s always worth the extra price. YUM!

31. March 31, 2010 3:15 pm

i dont understand how u never fail to write the best posts ever.
    that lentil package thing looks yum. not sure i have had millet before, nice dish!

32. March 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Good for you for using jarred foodstuffs, too! 😉 That Giada can do anything, can’t she? I’ve sadly never had millet, but your recipe looks great. Is millet a similar texture to quinoa?

Don’t think about the shelf-stableness of some foods – sometimes you gotta eat what you gotta eat! 🙂

33. Med permalink
    April 2, 2010 7:48 pm

I had that same horrible fish at Terranea with my dad last week too! With the undercooked veggies. In fact so did he, I’m surprised he didn’t warn you. The other restaurant there is great though, but not really child-friendly.