The Easy Way Out…

March 16, 2010

Why bother shopping around for a much-needed new duvet for your daughter’s room…

When you can hint to your mother that Maya could really use a new bedroom ensemble for her birthday?

Why bother stressing out over homemade cupcakes for Maya’s classroom birthday celebration…

When you can hop over to Trader Joe’s and purchase 3 boxes of  ice cream sandwiches instead?

Why bother taking Maya to the park…

When you can sit comfortably while watching her and three of her friends force Ali to pull them around and around the school yard on a wagon?  (Side note – Ali asked me if that counted as his exercise for the day).

Why bother cooking up a requested birthday dinner consisting of plain pasta with butter and parmesan cheese…

When you can battle the Hollywood traffic for thirty minutes, struggle to find un-validated parking in an insanely busy lot, and get the exact same thing at Pasta Pomodoro instead?

Why bother ordering a the Polenta Farcita appetizer…

When you know is going to be dripping in delicious “brown butter?” (This is obviously a rhetorical question).

Why bother to order the Verdure – an average dish of roasted brussels sprouts, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli with spicy pomodoro sauce for $8.50…

When you could have easily made this dish much better yourself?  (I’m still trying to figure out the answer to this one).

Why bother letting Maya overload on ice cream twice in one day…

When you know she is going to be bouncing off the walls from a sugar high? (Because it’s her birthday and once in a while you stop being uptight enough to give in).

I think we are all birthday’d out…on to new topics tomorrow!

1. March 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Why bother? because your baby is another year older and you LOVE her. and saving your energy to play and love her and your family is WAAAAAAY more important!

xoxooxoxo
    what a great birthday Maya!

2. March 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Haha, oh to be a kid again. I remember those days of ice cream ice cream ice cream as a special treat for birthdays or vacations. Sounds like you gave you little one a birthday she will remember for a looong time (try to top that next year 😉 ).

Happy birthday Maya!

3. Leah permalink
    March 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Haha I think it could count as Ali’s exercise for the day. Pulling those things along is hard work even when they’re NOT loaded with kids!!

Looks like Maya had a great birthday. Such a lucky girl!

4. Danielle permalink
    March 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Sometimes you just gotta take the easy way out (I totally would have done the first 2 things) 🙂

5. March 17, 2010 3:46 am

Plain noodles with parmesan cheese was my favorite way to enjoy pasta as a child too 🙂

Is it wrong to be jealous of a 5 year old and her awesome luck with birthday celebrations? Why do I ask?… no reason 😉

6. March 17, 2010 3:55 am

Ha, I think pulling kids around the schoolyard DEFINTELY counts as his exercise! 🙂

7. March 17, 2010 4:02 am

What is it about pasta, butter, and parmesan that’s so comforting?

Sometimes you just gotta take the easy way out 🙂

8. March 17, 2010 4:54 am

Such a cute post! I hate going to restaurants and you realize you could have made the dish yourself. I’m glad Maya had a wonderful birthday!!

9. March 17, 2010 4:59 am

Love it! You have had a post about Maya this week in honor of her birthday… I am all about birthdays.. I think they need be celebrated big.. its the only day in ones life that it is ONLY and truely about them.

I didn’t know kids need to bring cake to school for their birthday! hmm

• March 17, 2010 7:44 am

PS. what face products do you use. I love your skin. The brand that I was using is no longer available and I bought some Neutregena but I am not much of a fan.

10. March 17, 2010 5:22 am

Because she’s absolutely adorable and looks at you with those big brown eyes and you just melt? Just a guess.

11. fitandfortysomething permalink
    March 17, 2010 5:22 am

i felt the same way after my b-day weekend-enough….i know i have said this already but what a gorgeous family you are 🙂

12. March 17, 2010 5:48 am

Why are birthdays so much more fun when you’re a kid?! I used to love cupcakes in a cone… you know what I’m talking about, right?

13. March 17, 2010 7:43 am

I want to be Maya!!!!

14. March 17, 2010 8:06 am

My ALL TIME FAVORITE FOOD as a child was pasta with butter and parm. Still my #1 comfort food.

Happy birthday Maya!

15. March 17, 2010 8:40 am

Maya is so gorgeous!! Her new bedroom ensemble is incredible – I love the pillow with her name! So cool! 🙂

16. March 17, 2010 10:11 am

Ali sounds like my husband. Yesterday he chased the cat away from the food bowl, then asked, “Does that count as exercise?” At least Ali was pulling some weight.

I love those TJ’s ice cream cakes, by the way! What a great idea!

17. March 17, 2010 10:27 am

you guys are so blessed..she is such a gorgeous little soul inside and out 🙂

18. March 17, 2010 12:18 pm

I love the ice cream sammies on the plates! So cute!! I know the kids loved ’em!! 🙂

19. March 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Looks like Maya had a great birthday! Her new bed ensemble is making me jealous, it’s adorable. 🙂

20. March 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Ha ha, I can never get enough Maya and I’m totally stealing your ice cream sandwich idea.

Thanks for being such a doll and supporting my sad little blog. You are so inspiring!

Super size hugs from me to you!

21. March 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Watching Maya reminds me of how I used to love my pretty room when I was a little girl! I love it!!

It looks like she is having a great time on her fab birthday! Too cute!

XXOO

22. Nadia permalink
    March 17, 2010 3:16 pm

LOVING maya’s new bedding, your mom rocks!! and totally stealing your ideas for the ice cream sandwiches for shani’s class party! i would take him to pomodoro, but he’s already called corner bakery instead! what an awesome week of celebrations for the bday girl!
    XOXOXOXO

23. March 17, 2010 4:08 pm

My mom gave up on homemade cupcakes pretty early on. Kids like ice cream more anyway! You’re a cool mom!

24. March 17, 2010 4:16 pm

you never fail to make me smile….i like question number two the best.. 🙂

25. March 18, 2010 1:09 pm