Who Needs…

February 25, 2010

Who needs the Geek Squad…

When you live with a PC nerd who is so proud of his free computer swag that he actually volunteered to show if off on his wife’s blog?

Who needs the beach…

When you can set up your Dora blanket, a beach bag, a beach ball, an umbrella, your sunglasses, reading material, several photos to remind you of home, and a pet giraffe, complete with a robe for sun protection and several necklaces to give him a bit of “L.A. style,” right in your very own temperature controlled bedroom?

Who needs the stove….

When you finally, finally, finally find  a microwave that fits a hole that apparently held the most bizarrely sized microwave ever manufactured?  Sure it took 8 months to find, it cost an arm, a leg, a kidney, and half a certain 4-year-old’s college fund, but the fact that you can make oatmeal in less than 2 minutes again?  Worth every penny.

Who needs Average Oatmeal Balls….

When you can make the real thing?  Adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe, found here.

Makes 10

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup natural peanut or almond butter
1 tablespoon salted butter
1 cup brown rice cereal
1 cup oats
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chocolate chips

In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir honey, peanut butter, and butter until smooth, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cereal, oats, chocolate chips, and dried fruit.  Drop mixture into cupcake liners (I used silicone cupcake liners). Place on a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Try these, I promise you will LOVE them.

And who needs to suffer through another dinner of scrambled eggs….

When you can enjoy some great salmon at your best friend’s house instead?

I am off to take advantage of my beautiful friend Nadia’s amazing culinary abilities.  Have a good night everyone!

1. actorsdiet permalink
    February 25, 2010 7:54 pm

mmm i BET i would love those oatmeal treats!!!

2. February 25, 2010 9:03 pm

oh I love Ali’s free computer Swag! I’ll take one for MAC!

what a great day you’ve had and what a beautiful microwave!!!

you and Nadia are so pretty !!!! hope you had a great evening!
    xoxo

3. February 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Haha… I love your ‘Geek Squad’ 🙂 Wish as many issues as I have I could use one in the house. Your Martha Stewart cups are cute too!

4. nadia khan permalink
    February 25, 2010 11:04 pm

hey bff, you are way too sweet!!! that’s what friends do for eachother…totally boost eachother’s egos and make the person feel like a million bucks!! i am in love w your new micro…totally worth the college fund and your kidney. and loving that young and fresh pic of us…don’t we somehow look younger, i know i look thinner:) had a great time tonite…did i tell you there’s one oatmeal ball left of the 5 you left for me!!! i told you i wouldn’t stop!! thank you for always taking such great care of me and always “feeding the pregnant girl:)”
    XOXOXOXOXXOOX
    your one and only

5. February 26, 2010 12:21 am

OMG those sweet treats are vegan, gluten, and soy free…holy awesome!!!!! I’d sub out the butter but that’s it. And they look great!

You and your friend are gorgeous, Ameena, wow! Beautiful ladies 🙂

6. February 26, 2010 4:17 am

Okay, those oatmeal balls look to die for… definitely trying those out. Congrats on finally finding the right recipe 🙂

You and your friend are absolutely gorgeous, Ameena 🙂 And Maya is too cute for words.

7. February 26, 2010 4:26 am

You and your friend are both beautiful!

And that first picture CRACKS me up!

8. February 26, 2010 5:07 am

That microwave looks tres cool. I bet there’s a lot more you can do with it than just nuke oatmeal!

9. fitandfortysomething permalink
    February 26, 2010 6:01 am

Very cute post…..love the husband pic….he must of been really proud of his shirt to show it off!
    glad you got a microwave-could not live without mine.
    Have a great weekend!

10. February 26, 2010 6:22 am

Oh no! You’re going to hate me when you read my PC-bashing post. Sorry, I’m a Mac. Let’s still be friends. 🙂

11. February 26, 2010 6:25 am

Does Ali think he’s Paris Hilton, posing w/ his hands on his hips? lol

8 months for a microwave? I’m trying to decide whether or not it’s really as big as it looks in the pic… def a unique size!

12. February 26, 2010 6:57 am

so jealous that you don’t need to use the geek squad haha. that’s pretty much going to be a deal breaker whenever i meet my future husband 😉

13. February 26, 2010 7:26 am

Hope you had a great time with Nadia. Wow! That’s one cool microwave…so jealous. Had to show my hubby the picture. I think money spent on the kitchen is money well spent…teehee.

14. Danielle permalink
    February 26, 2010 8:26 am

haha who needs a kidney or a college education when you could have a microwave? (Seriously though)

15. February 26, 2010 8:40 am

i need that microwave in my life. mine is making weird growling sounds. yum those oatmeal balls! haha love the pet giraffe set up, very LA

16. February 26, 2010 8:47 am

Holy Microwave… that thing is huge.. I thought its an oven.

Maya’s beach looks awesome and peaceful.. I dislike a crowded beach… her’s look private and quite 🙂

17. February 26, 2010 9:57 am

Salmon…yum!!!! Those oatmeal balls sound fantastic as well! Gosh I can’t imagine not having a microwave..

18. February 26, 2010 9:59 am

Cute post! Hope you had fun with your friend 🙂 So glad you got a microwave for that space 🙂 Your husband is hilarious. Mine wears various computer-geek-event swag t-shirts routinely as well.

19. louisianagrown permalink
    February 26, 2010 10:00 am

Super cute post. I’ve never seen a microwave like that…

20. February 26, 2010 10:41 am

Haha!! Love the shirt but I have to say “I’m a Mac” 🙂

I cannot believe that’s a microwave!! Those oatmeal balls look great, thanks for the recipe.

21. lowandbhold permalink
    February 26, 2010 12:17 pm

That beach set up might be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! Yay for finally finding a nuker 🙂

22. February 26, 2010 12:52 pm

I love this! I would gladly set up shop on the Dora blankie! You are too funny! Enjoy your weekend!

23. February 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Haha.. I love the giraffe all spiffed up in his robe. 🙂

Your microwave may have cost a lot but that is gorgeous. I never thought that I would think a microwave could be pretty but yours is. My microwave looks like death compared to yours.

24. February 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Does your husband work at IBM? My boyfriend does some research for them as part of his PhD!

25. February 26, 2010 4:35 pm

What a gorgeous picture of you and your friend!! That pic of Ali is hilarious and reminds me of my dad. He used to work with computers and was also very, very proud of his free swag! 😉

26. February 26, 2010 5:15 pm

i would love to join u for a dinner one night…u seem so neat.
    cute husband 🙂

27. February 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Hahahahaha!
    Loved the post, Ameena!
    Such an amazing microwave!
    Where did you find it?
    😉
    Have a great weekend!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

28. February 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Lovin the Dora stuff… not so much the PC swag 😉 I recently turned MAC!!

29. Erika permalink
    February 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Great entry, the oatmeal balls look good,and hey I wanted to see the plate the eggs were on. lol your friend looks more like a sister to you.. have a great day!

Erika

• February 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi Erika – that plate is from TJ Maxx if you can believe it…they have a sketch of the Eiffel Tower on them. I am kicking myself for only buying 4 mugs and dessert plates. TJ doesn’t have any more left. 😦

Have a good night!

Ameena

30. February 27, 2010 4:01 pm

You look GORGEOUS!!!

31. February 27, 2010 7:45 pm

the giraffe wrapped in a robe draped in necklaces is adorable! love that your daughter is embracing her fashionista side with her animals 🙂

February 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Hahaha I read that Ali volunteered to show off his free swag and kept thinking back to it and laughing through this whole post. That is so awesome!!

I also LOVE that the giraffe is wearing a robe. Thats probably the cutest thing ever.

33. February 28, 2010 6:51 am

I love this post! Sounds like Ali would get along perfectly with my hubby (who is a total PC nerd too). That Dora blanket spread is really adorable. I think I need that microwave, and I know I need those oatmeal balls! 🙂

1. My Best Friend’s…Dinner « Fancy That…Fancy This