I’ve Learned a Few Things

February 14, 2010

I expected to have all the answers by the time my two digit age started with a “3.”  Well, despite turning 34 yesterday I can honestly say that I have very few answers and a whole lot of questions.  But I have picked up a few things over the years.  Just a few things.  And these I know for sure:

The little brother who drove you completely crazy when you were younger?  He’ll turn out to be your best friend.  He will know you so well that he’ll visit your favorite store and buy you a birthday gift.  He’ll pick out a Joie shirt you saw in InStyle and a sweater that you love but would never buy for yourself because it is too expensive.

You will be speechless and touched.

The parents that used to drive you nuts when you were a kid?  They are listening when you randomly mention how much you love everything in the Lucy catalogue.  Then they will go and buy you all of it.  In the right size.

They will also continue the tradition of getting you a Valentine’s gift, despite the fact you turned 34.  They will buy you two of your favorite things – books and chocolate.

You will spend your birthday evening grateful that they bought you stretch pants as you consume way too much of the aforementioned chocolate.

Your in-laws?  The ones who often treat you better than they treat their own son?  They will overwhelm you by buying you a new handbag, even though you insisted you didn’t want or need anything for your birthday.

And after the initial shock wears off, you will immediately switch all of your stuff to your new purse and carry it around in awe for the rest of the day.

The nearly 5-year-old who drives you completely mad on a daily basis?  She will put her feet up on the table at your birthday lunch and you will want to smack her silly.

Then she’ll insist on spitting on blowing out the candles on your birthday dessert.  And she’ll eat the whole thing.

But she looks so cute in the Valentine’s Day outfit you gave her that you’ll forgive her.  Just barely.  But you’ll forgive her.

The husband?  The one whose bad habits you make fun of on your blog?  He will find you a restaurant that serves homemade chips and guacamole because that is the ONLY thing you want to have for your birthday dinner.

And you will eat way too many chips with guacamole for dinner.  Because it’s your birthday.

But the most important thing that I’ve learned thus far?  While it is nice to receive so many thoughtful, beautiful gifts for your birthday, the best gift ever are the amazing people in your life.

And I am grateful for all of them.

1. February 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Happy belated birthday, Ameena!

Ali knows you so well. I myself have been lusting after the very same Joie shirt on Shopbop! And those Lucy goodies… great gifts!

Glad you celebrated in style… and I say you have all of February to enjoy your birthday!

2. February 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Happy Birthday!! Looks like you got some really great stuff. Wow, that’s some observant brother you have. I’m impressed.

3. February 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Happy Birthday! I LOVE guac and chips and I love that you choose that for your bday dinner! You are so blessed to have such a great family!

4. February 14, 2010 2:07 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I ❤ all the gifts you got 🙂
    You have an AMAZING family!

5. February 14, 2010 2:23 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Awesome loot – I am sure you deserve it! 😀

And I agree, while the stuff is nice, the people in your life are all that matter!

6. Danielle permalink
    February 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!! It sounded like a good one 😀
    I’m glad to hear that my younger brothers will not always be a pain

7. February 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!! You are a February baby too and Aquarian! I have a younger brother and love him to death, I am glad that the bond just grows stronger!!

Lovely Family!!!!!!

8. February 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Happy Birthday!!! I want that purse 😉

9. February 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Aw, it looks like you had a wonderful day with family. That’s the way all celebrations should be had. Happy birthday! 😀

10. traynharder23 permalink
    February 14, 2010 2:59 pm

awww your birthday sounded wonderful. it’s the best to celebrate low key with your favorite people.

11. February 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Awwww– what a wonderful day!!! You got some great gifts, and it sounds like you have so many wonderful people in your life! Happy birthday, Ameena! Your blog makes me smile with every post!

12. February 14, 2010 3:26 pm

such a sweet post! HAPPY BIRTHDAY i don’t think i even knew yours was coming up? i’ve gotta say, you could pull off saying you’re 18! if not 18, definitely 20!! maya is so cute in her valentine’s outfit, you’re right. amazing and thoughtful gifts (love the stretchy pants comment) but you’re right, the most important/ best gifts are your loved ones!

13. louisianagrown permalink
    February 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Happy Birthday! Did you not tell us it was coming up, or am I a space cadet? Your family is amazing and you are blessed. Remember days like this when you’re feeling yucky!

14. February 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Happy birthday – girl, you got hooked up! Both with presents and with lovely family. Lucky you. 🙂 Here’s to a good year.

15. February 14, 2010 5:49 pm

What a beautiful post, Ameena; I especially love how you ended it 🙂 Happy birthday, love! It looks like you had an amazing day, and you deserve it.

16. February 14, 2010 5:51 pm

What a sweet post. You have some great people in your life 🙂 Happy birthday!

17. February 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Happy Birthday (belated) Ameena!

18. February 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Happy Birthday! I completely agree – gifts are great, but the people are better.

I have been craving guac all day! It must have been in your honor 😉

19. February 14, 2010 7:03 pm

girl, u are beautiful…your family is beautiful…u are not old. age is a #. eternal youth i say.
    i cannot believe u are a mom…u seem so cool and hip and young 🙂
    your family is amazing…happy happy bday bigtime…
    and u can NEVER have too much guac and chips 🙂

20. February 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Happy Birthday!! What a beautiful post!! 🙂

21. February 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Happy Bday Ameena!!!!!!
    Wow I am so impressed by the generosity of your family!!! My husbands parents are deceased and my parents, well, I paid for and organized my own baby shower. We are on opposite ends of the gift spectrum no doubt 🙂

I kinda may have to raid your closet now that i know you have fresh LV in there 🙂
    xoxo

22. February 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

23. February 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Happy Birthday Love!!!

What an amazingly beautiful bag 🙂 You deserve it!!

XXOO

24. neeta permalink
    February 14, 2010 10:50 pm

this was a super sweet post. 🙂 i just had to comment; been reading the blog for a while, but mostly in lurker mode. glad you had a fab bday and great presents.

25. February 14, 2010 11:45 pm

omg sweetie..HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you had such a wonderful day! This post is fabulous, I love all the amazing bday gifts. Gorgeous. Looks like good food and family too. Sounds perfect. I gotta say you look fantastic! I hope you have a wonderful evening. Take care!

26. Passive Non-aggressive permalink
    February 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Happy Birthday Ameena . That was really a great post.

p.s. what is that book on top ? it looks so familiar to me .

p.p.s you look wayyyy younger than 34 😀

• February 15, 2010 8:17 am

My mom bought me On Writing by Stephen King. I can’t wait to read it after so many great recommendations!

And thank you so much for the generous compliments! I really appreciate them.

27. February 15, 2010 4:59 am

Just stumbled upon your blog. Happy belated birthday. It seemed like you enjoyed it and made the most of it.

Your daughter resembles you so much, and so does your mother.

28. February 15, 2010 5:09 am

Happy birthday! Looks like you had a great day and got some amazing gifts. Maya looks adorable in those sunglasses:)

29. February 15, 2010 5:54 am

Happy Birthday Ameena. You’ve got to be kidding! You don’t look 34!!!

And anytime you are tired of those outfits and bag, I am also in that queue to catch those chucked out stuff!

30. Ashlei permalink
    February 15, 2010 6:41 am

Happy Birthday Ameena!!!

31. fitandfortysomething permalink
    February 15, 2010 6:58 am

Happy Birthday! What great weather to have had for the weekend……

32. February 15, 2010 7:35 am

OMG is your birthday really on valentines day?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Your pictures are just filled with love!

33. February 15, 2010 8:18 am

What a lovely expression of love!

Happy belated birthday!

34. February 15, 2010 9:23 am

That’s so sweet!!! Sounds like had an amazing bday. Happy birthday!!!!

35. February 15, 2010 9:28 am

Happy belated birthday!

You are so lucky to have such a caring family to surround you with their love.

Hope you had fun!

36. erintakescontrol permalink
    February 15, 2010 9:37 am

Happy Belated Birthday, Ameena! Your family sounds incredible!

37. February 15, 2010 11:48 am

AWWW Ameena, I didn’t know it was your birthday….sorry I missed wishing you a WONDERFUL 34th!

and what a sweet and beautiful tribute to not only your birthday but to those you love! LOVED IT!

Happy Happy Birthday and Valentine’s Day!!!!

you deserve it!

38. February 15, 2010 12:40 pm

happy birthday! what a great post. sounds like you had a fabulous day and that you are so well loved 🙂

February 15, 2010 12:55 pm

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!

Im glad you had such a good day, you sure deserve it!

40. February 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Happy Birthday Ameena!

Glad to hear you had a wonderful day with your family…

41. prashant permalink
    February 15, 2010 1:50 pm

how to grow taller

42. February 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Happy belated birthday! It looks like you had a wonderful day! And I looooove your new purse 🙂

43. actorsdiet permalink
    February 15, 2010 3:11 pm

lovely post. glad you had such a wonderful bday!!!

44. February 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Glad you had a great birthday. You wow’d yr readers – you are gifted.

45. crazylittlethingneela permalink
    February 15, 2010 5:18 pm

happy belated birthday beautiful!!
    hope you had a wonderful day

46. February 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Urgh! I’m sooo late….but HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ameena!!!!! At 34 (which you do NOT look like!), you’re still pampered by people who loves you…that’s the way to live! 😀

47. February 16, 2010 5:13 am

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like it was amazing! Your top is gorgeous! I so need to find me one! Love the purse too!

48. February 16, 2010 7:37 am

Beautiful post! It’s nice to honor the important people in our lives… and feel good while doing it!

p.s. That bag that your in laws got you is GORGEOUS… to die for.

1. unveiled « More to Life Than Lettuce