You Know…

February 11, 2010

You know it’s almost February 14th when you spend an hour supervising your 4-year-old as she signs her Valentine’s Day cards:

And after signing Valentine #25 her “N” is still a sideways “S.”

You know you are on your way to becoming a computer nerd like your dad when he buys you a hat like this:

And you wear it with pride.

You know that you have cabin fever when you go for a walk:

Despite the impending rain and 40 degree temperatures.

You know that there is no hope for this country when you buy a package of  T-shirts:

And it comes with a disclaimer like this:

You know it’s winter when Maya’s school has it’s annual Snow Day:

And she tells you she would like to be referred to as “Snow Girl” going forward.

You know you’ve sunk to a new low when you boil zucchini, top it with marinara and flaxseed oil:

And proclaim it an acceptable substitute for the spaghetti dinner you just cooked your family.

You know your dad rocks when he comes back from India bearing a bunch of new scarves:

And you love them all.  And him too, even if you don’t tell him often enough.

1. February 11, 2010 10:00 pm

I love Maya in her Minnie Mouse outfit…TOO CUTE!
    Commenting situation is under control, I think. Fingers crossed 🙂

2. February 11, 2010 11:07 pm

I love that her outfit and her backpack match, lol. Color coordination is key!

3. February 12, 2010 4:20 am

I love the disclaimer on those shirts!!

Oh, to be 4-years-old again and handing out those adorable Valentines to the entire class. Too cute!

4. February 12, 2010 4:28 am

Oh, wow… I can’t believe the disclaimer on those t-shirts. Haha. What is the world coming to?

Maya is absolutely adorable. I remember being in grade school and getting so excited about handing out Valentine’s Day cards and wearing geeky things my dad brought home for me as well. Oh the joys of childhood.

5. February 12, 2010 4:47 am

Oooh, I LOVE that scarf he brought you! My dad’s taste is nowhere near that good!

LOL– oh my gosh– is that disclaimer for real? WTF?

6. traynharder23 permalink
    February 12, 2010 4:51 am

heyyy my dad come yesterday! WOOO HOOO!!! what a hilarious disclaimer.
    GOOD POINT about costco. hahah sometimes i hate costco. then i feel like some chicken and go buy one. somehow the poeple that go there need to take cart and tasting samples- etiquette.
    aw man, you have GREAT skin. i can’t seee any acne!

7. February 12, 2010 5:05 am

Hahaha, I’ve seen those disclaimers too and they’re hilarious! Such a boy concept.

Love the scarf you’re wearing!

8. February 12, 2010 5:16 am

My closet is full of scarves from India. I just love them and since my Mum loves them too, she keeps buying them for me wherever she goes!

I love your scarf!

9. February 12, 2010 5:30 am

What beautiful scarves and how thoughtful of him to bring you such cozy gifts. You snow angel is such a cutie!

10. February 12, 2010 6:10 am

You have the cutest daughter ever! Can I squeeze her cheeks please!?! 😀

11. February 12, 2010 6:44 am

LOL THAT DISCLAIMER!!!!
    ooohmygaahd.

btw, i just discovered that you can “cook” quinoa in the microwave: just throw the usual amounts in, microwave for 4 minutes (covered), stop to stir, and then put it back in for another 2 minutes. That’s how I made it for breakfast yesterday (:

• February 12, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks Yasmin! I had no idea quinoa was microwaveable. Unfortunately my microwave started smoking for some reason yesterday so I need to go get another one.

Got to love the timing, right??

12. louisianagrown permalink
    February 12, 2010 6:56 am

That disclaimer is hilarious, and I’m so jealous of all your Indian scarves!

13. February 12, 2010 7:01 am

Love the scarf… and the disclaimer? wow.

Haha that’s so funny about Maya’s hat!
    I have a baby cousin who’s about 1 1/2 and her dad is a computer/technology genius. And this child, she GRAVITATES towards technology. Seriously. If you have a cell phone, she will steal it. TV remote, camera, whatever… it’s hilarious.

14. fitandfortysomething permalink
    February 12, 2010 8:18 am

YOUR DAUGHTER IS BEAUTIFUL! oh my…….what a gorgeous girl…..

okay i am confused? don’t you live in westwood? why the snow?

have a wonderful day!

• February 12, 2010 9:25 am

Hi there – Maya’s school ships in 40 tons of snow each year for Snow Day. How great do kids have it these days?

15. Danielle permalink
    February 12, 2010 8:26 am

I love the new scarf! And maya looks adorable 😀

16. February 12, 2010 8:32 am

I love the “snow day” how fun!

And your scarf is gorgeous!

17. February 12, 2010 9:11 am

She’s so cute! Hey, the hat may be manly but she can pull it off.

18. February 12, 2010 9:19 am

Awww, kids are so cute on Valentine’s Day!! I can’t wait to have my own kids so I can do all those fun things with them!! 🙂

19. February 12, 2010 10:03 am

What a fun post 🙂 I love the label on the shirts package. And the “Snow Girl” name request. Kids are so funny.

Have a good weekend!

20. February 12, 2010 10:21 am

Cute post!

That scarf is beautiful! I love scarves so much….This is so sweet of your dad 🙂

Snow day! Fun!!!

I hope you have a great friday!

XXOO

21. erintakescontrol permalink
    February 12, 2010 11:25 am

Wow, what a disclaimer!

22. February 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Such a sweet post! I love the photos of Maya, and of you at the end.

I agree.. zucchini is not a substitute for spaghetti, unfortunately. Sometimes I can trick myself into thinking Shirataki is good enough…

23. February 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Ah Indian scarves! I came back from India with over twenty of them!
    And what a wacko disclaimer?! Do people seriously need to be reminded of that?

February 12, 2010 4:03 pm

hahaha what a great disclaimer. It even beats the one on my peanut butter that says “CONTAINS NUTS”.

25. February 12, 2010 4:23 pm

That Old Navy disclaimer is amazing

26. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    February 12, 2010 4:50 pm

funny and sweet post as always! just the right amount of snarkiness too ;). snow day looks fun for maya, so cute. ugh i remember the elementary school days where you had to make valentines day cards for the entire class and of course bring packaged up diabetes in the form of lollipops and tootsie rolls for everyone. sugar rush!

27. February 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Love the hat and disclaimer on the undershirts 🙂

28. February 12, 2010 5:53 pm

You know when it’s a good day when you sum up life’s adventures in a fun post like this!

THAT SCARF IS DELICIOUS!

Have a great weekend!

29. February 12, 2010 6:23 pm

oh no…u need more food hon 🙂
    maya looks adorable in that mickey jacket
    your home is AMAZING …u look rich 🙂
    u look beautiful and i love the playfulness of this post.

30. February 12, 2010 6:48 pm

cute and refreshing post – I really enjoyed it!

31. February 12, 2010 7:58 pm

I used to love making homemade valentine’s cards! Ahhh…
    Your neighborhood looks beautiful, as does your daughter and scarf. LOVE the underwear warning,lol!
    Have a great weekend.

32. February 12, 2010 8:59 pm

Eh? Confused…you don’t dress like you live in SoCal! I didn’t know it went down to 40 degrees…but apparently it’s gonna warm up this weekend! 🙂

• February 13, 2010 9:44 am

My cars temp gauge said it was 42 degrees one evening last week…either my car has issues or it was really cold!

33. February 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Your zucchini spaghetti looks fantastic. I bet it’d be great with eggplant as well. YUM

34. February 14, 2010 10:35 am

hey!
    i just came across your blog and i can’t wait to keep reading!
    i would love it if you could check out mine and follow 🙂
    jenna

35. April 29, 2010 2:31 pm

That was a very good read,Maybe I might sign up to your rss.

36. May 2, 2010 12:34 am

That was a great article,I await some more post from you.