10 for the Price of 1

February 4, 2010

The other day when Maya and I were in the middle of our closet organizing frenzy, I found my favorite cashmere sweater that my mother-in-law gave me nearly four years ago.  Have I mentioned how much I love cashmere?  It drapes perfectly, layers well, and is so warm!  I don’t purchase it often though because I don’t particularly like how easily it pills (gets those little bumps) or gets holes.  Also, I am not a big fan of day-to-day clothes that have to be dry cleaned, which can get pretty expensive.  And since I am still learning how to eat without dropping food all over myself, our dry cleaning bill can be fairly outrageous at times.

InStyle tells me that when cleaning a closet one should never put back anything dirty, ripped, or missing a button.  So finding this sweater was really a mixed blessing.

I hung it on my closet door for further contemplation. You are probably wondering what there was to contemplate.  Well my choices were A. stop being so cheap and spend the $6 to dry clean it or B. relegate the sweater to my soccer-mom pile (clothes that I deem decent enough to wear in certain circumstances but which may not necessarily be appropriate everywhere).  For example, I could easily pull something out of my soccer-mom pile to wear to the park, grocery store, or post office without feeling too embarrassed.  And check this out…I have a backup plan all ready for the rare occasion I run into someone I know –  I simply point to the stain and say:

I feel like a total slob…Maya just dropped her ice cream/chocolate/jelly all over my clean sweater!”

Yes I have used that excuse in the past and yes, technically it is a lie.  But even if her ice cream didn’t drop on me at that exact moment, it most likely had at some point.  So I am not entirely lying, right?

I know what you are thinking but please don’t judge.  Kids literally suck the life out of you.  So if my child can earn me a free pass here and there?  I think I deserve it.

Anyway, back to my sweater.  The other day I was at Target, loading my shopping cart full of things I didn’t need and probably would never use when I came across this:

10 garments for the price of 1?  The Dryel was pretty reasonably priced at $10, which made their bold faced claim very attractive.  Into the cart it went.  I remember reading good reviews about Dryel in a mom magazine (Good Housekeeping maybe?) not too long ago so I figured I’d give it a shot.  (We’ll address the fact that I read Good Housekeeping at a later time).

This morning I pulled out the sweater again and cringed – it was in pretty bad shape.  I wracked my brain trying to think of a way to get rid of the pills and figured, why not try a razor?

35 minutes and an episode of The Unsellables later things were looking up.  Pretty genius idea if I do say so myself.  A side benefit of using the razor?  I had nearly enough cashmere to knit another sweater.

Next I headed to the laundry room to test out the Dryel.  The instructions said to use the cleaning pen to remove any stains.  I followed the directions but after a few minutes I wasn’t getting anywhere on any of the numerous stains, so I zipped the sweater in the Fabric Protection Bag with a Cleaning Cloth, tossed the entire thing in the dryer to steam, and hoped for the best.

30 minutes later my sweater was much improved:

The stains on the arms weren’t gone but the rest of the sweater looked whiter and brighter.  A nice bonus was how fresh the Cleaning Cloth made the sweater smell!

Would I buy Dryel again?  Probably not.  Call me crazy, but until my clothes are swathed in cancer causing plastic by my unfriendly neighborhood dry cleaner, I just don’t get that clean feeling.  After this experience I actually have a new appreciation for his astronomical prices and maybe even a bit of understanding for his often abrupt behavior.  His parking situation, well that’s another story.

But don’t worry, I’ll get my money’s worth from the Dryel by using it on Ali’s clothes.  Trust me, judging from the pile of dirty shirts on his closet floor anything would be an improvement.

1. February 4, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing that product. I have one cashmere sweater that I ADORE but have yet to dryclean it…CHEAPSKATE.

I would wear it a LOT more if it were clean-able at home.

beautiful sweater though!

xo

2. traynharder23 permalink
    February 4, 2010 8:47 pm

nice review! i know. crunchy is bomb. but it was this or no pb. =( and yeah, my mom likes to point out that i somehow get zits whenever i am eating peanut butter. =(
    you break out with soy? thank god i don’t becuas ei just ingested a ton of tofu!

LOL!

February 4, 2010 9:49 pm

hahaha I LOVE that you use Maya spilling on you as an excuse. Back when I still had my horse, if someone saw me out in public wearing something filthy I would just say I’d just come from the barn. SOMETIMES it was actually true, but not always.
    Now I dont have an excuse, I even realized the other day that Ive worn the same socks on every run since probably Saturday.
    Yah – I know, Im gross.

4. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    February 4, 2010 9:49 pm

i never would have thought of using a razor on my cashmere, but dang i hate when it pills, so annoying! i try to pick them off but it’s a futile effort. i love that you pull the “maya just dropped ice cream on me” card, i should pop out a kid just so i can use that excuse.

5. Danielle permalink
    February 4, 2010 10:30 pm

That was clever to use the razor (I never would have thought of that)!

I spill stuff on my clothes all the time too, except I can’t use the excuse that it was my child (otherwise I’d get even stranger looks)

6. February 5, 2010 4:22 am

I’ve never thought of using a razor — smart! I’d be worried about ripping the fabric but that seems to not be a problem…?

• February 5, 2010 6:50 am

Hi Erin – I just tried to be really careful not to stick the blade into the sweater and luckily I had no problems!

7. February 5, 2010 4:49 am

I totally laughed at the kids sucking the life out of us, so we deserve a freebie benefit here and there! Soooo true!!!

And at first when I looked at the picture I thought you had a tampon on your sweater! LOL

8. February 5, 2010 5:10 am

Sometimes I feel my dry cleaned clothes aren’t as clean as they should be…. hmmmmm

Have a great day!!

9. chezjulie permalink
    February 5, 2010 5:11 am

I love wearing cashmere because I’m allergic to other wool. I love that you have a “soccer mom” clothing pile.

10. February 5, 2010 5:25 am

That is so cute Ameena. You are a trooper — you were determined to WIN against the sweater 🙂
    Have a nice day.

11. February 5, 2010 5:39 am

Great product review!! I HATE taking clothes to the dry cleaners!

12. February 5, 2010 6:45 am

I have wondered about that stuff…but I’m not gonna lie… if I get out of sweats and a tee shirt, its a miracle…didn’t get a bath until 5pm yesterday.

13. February 5, 2010 7:45 am

I hate clothes that require dry cleaning. So much so that I won’t buy them unless I absolutely fall in love with them, which happens only on rare occasions. I like my life as hassle free as possible, and sometimes, certain clothes introduce too much hassle.

14. Silvia permalink
    February 5, 2010 8:34 am

I also followed the advice of dry cleaning cashmere, until I heard from my french friend that she always washes then in the washer, just use shampoo and the cold cycle! Saved a ton of money since, and have always fresh cashmere sweaters which all survived!

15. February 5, 2010 8:58 am

I have a love-hate relationship with cashmere for the same reasons. The pilling drives me nutso, though I’m definitely shaving some sweaters this weekend. 🙂

I always seem to rip my sweaters in the elbow, where I rest it on my desk. Not much I can do there but donate. Oh well.

16. eaternotarunner permalink
    February 5, 2010 9:03 am

Wow the razor is such a good idea, I never would have thought of that!

17. erintakescontrol permalink
    February 5, 2010 9:18 am

You can totally use your kid’s food as an excuse – I won’t judge. Just the other day, I noticed that one of the toes on my favorite black work heels was in dire need of polishing. It was embarrassing once I noticed it…but my son HAD stepped on my foot that morning…ice/salt/gravel don’t keep my shoes very clean…wouldn’t have that problem if I was in California! 😛

Razor for cashmere? Genius! Now if only I had some cashmere…l

18. louisianagrown permalink
    February 5, 2010 9:22 am

Okay, using the razor to get the bumps off is seriously GENIUS. I will be stealing that.

19. February 5, 2010 9:43 am

Great review of that Dryel. I have always wondered – I have so many things that are dry-clean only!

20. February 5, 2010 9:48 am

Um, kids should get you all kinds of free passes. I’ve never wanted kids, but I told my husband that maybe we should have one so we can have excuses for things (joking, of course…sort of).

You are very ingenious with that sweater! I would put that in my nice pile, to be honest!

21. February 5, 2010 10:14 am

Very interesting. I hate dry cleaning, mainly because it’s so inconvenient to DRIVE to get your clothes clean. Which causes me not to wear some of my nicest clothes. lol, so lazy.

I’ll have to try this product though.

22. February 5, 2010 11:29 am

I have forgotten all about Dryel. I have a few sweaters that could use this. Thanks for the review.

23. February 5, 2010 2:26 pm

That was such a good idea to use the razor! I definitely have a few sweaters I can try that with.

24. February 5, 2010 2:37 pm

i think the razor idea just might be genius 🙂

i am the SAME way about dry clean only clothes…i either don’t buy them, or wear them as long as possible and then let my closet swallow them up. in dc there is a chain dry clean place that did a decent job…all clothes $1.25. in LA…not so much!!!!

25. fitandfortysomething permalink
    February 5, 2010 3:47 pm

good idea using a razor-going to try this for sure…..and i always wondered about the dryel stuff-hmmmmm maybe i should try it!

26. traynharder23 permalink
    February 5, 2010 5:08 pm

I FIGURED people need clarification on stuff- since i’m such a weird person with my own vocab!!!! =D

I KNOW! the rain!

don’t worry, when i get more time, i’ll train you on weekends.

• February 5, 2010 7:48 pm

I can’t wait til you get more weekend time! I need help with my love handles!!

27. February 5, 2010 5:24 pm

thanks for that little money saving tidbit..you wouldnt buy it again. all i need to know 🙂

28. February 5, 2010 7:02 pm

great review!! I have so many articles of clothing that could use some loving. But good to know that the Dryel isnt worth it. I guess sometimes its better to just head off to the cleaners. Great idea to use a razor though!! I never would have thought of that. I’ll have to keep that in mind. Very cute sweater by the way. I hope you are staying dry. I never thought I would say this living here, but I am so sick of the rain! I hope you have a fabulous friday night hon!

29. February 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Ameena, this is a good article. Expect Dryel to remove pet hair, pills or pulls. These are things that the dry cleaners consider “special care”

30. October 27, 2010 12:21 pm

always choose dry cleaners that uses organic based cleaning agents and detergent to help the environment~~;