Sticky Fingers

January 26, 2010

I am about to say something that very few married people have ever said…I love my in-laws.  Yes, you heard that right.  They are two of the nicest people I have ever met.  They are also two of the kindest and most generous people I know. I often wonder if they are the reason I married Ali.  (I think Ali wonders the same thing).  The day I met Ali’s mom she gave me a gorgeous dress that was not only exactly my style but the perfect size too.  It was like my mother-in-law had the dress waiting for me, even before she knew I existed!

As their only grandchild Maya has definitely stolen some of my thunder but I do my best to not be jealous of her.  She is after all only four-years-old.  And my child.  And no good mom should be jealous of her own child, right?  Right.

So what do I give my in-laws in return for all their kindness and generosity?  I wish I could say I lavish them with gourmet meals and gift certificates to the spa but the truth is that I give them absolutely nothing.  Other than their only grandchild of course.  But Maya aside we really don’t have much else to offer!  So instead we just keep taking (and I say “we” because Ali is just as guilty of taking as me).  We simply can’t help ourselves.  Every time we visit I tell myself, “Ameena, there is no need to take anything!  You were brought up better than that!”  But then my eyes land on something and all my good intentions go out the window.

The stuff we pilfer can range from a bunch of bananas (there are always about 5 bunches in their kitchen at any given time), to brand new DVD’s, to clothes that just happen to be sitting around with tags on, in my size.  We’ve also been known to take sheets, a vacuum, sparkling water, books (me), shoes (me), software (Ali), TV cables (Ali), travel guides, cutlery, and random pieces of furniture that were just made for our place.  We have no shame.  Sticky Fingers Maya has even gotten in on the act.  Last week she took a pear and a box of Godiva “for later Mama.”  In summary, we consider Ali’s parents’ house our own personal Costco.

So the other day I was innocently wandering around and came across this:

A brand new Rocket Blending Set from Bella Cucina.  The box had never been opened and still had the Macy’s return sticker on it.  Anyone else would reconsider taking something brand new right?  But not me.

I’ve never used a Magic Bullet but I have a feeling this is another version of that.  I figured a mini-blender would come in handy for Maya’s milkshakes and my flaxseed.  So the Rocket Blending Set was loaded into our trunk (which also belongs to Ali’s parents as Ali is currently between cars), along with a Persian rug, and a $30 piece of Orange Roughy.  Yes I just admitted to taking a piece of uncooked fish home.

This morning Maya announced she wanted a milkshake for breakfast.  As her wish is always my command, I pulled out the milk, a banana, some frozen strawberries and blueberries, and our Rocket Blending Set, and set to work.

Thirty seconds later we had a smoothie that would put Jamba Juice to shame.  And the absolute greatest thing about this blender?  When you flip the container over and remove the lid it turns into a drinking glass.

Maya chugged the whole thing down in about 5 minutes flat and I didn’t need to wash a separate glass!  We were both happy campers.

Since everything was already out and handy I decided to grind some flax seed too.

I was amazed when the Rocket Blender ground up my flaxseed to a sawdust consistency in about 15 seconds.  It takes my big blender about 5 minutes, a burning smell, and a bit of smoke to do the same work.  Two thumbs up Rocket Blender!

I am excited about the possibilities…pesto, pasta sauce, salad dressing, and even hummus.  Maybe now we won’t have to steal the giant containers of Sabra from my in-laws refrigerator!!

But then again one can never have too much hummus, right?

1. January 27, 2010 4:43 am

It’s great that you have a good relationship with your in-laws!… and even better if you can pilfer things from them 😉

I’ve never tried the Rocket Blender, but I have a Magic Bullet. It doesn’t do the same job as my big-ass blender, but it’s a lot more convenient and easier to clean, so I use it for the smaller jobs.

Have you tried freezing bananas and making banana soft serve? If not, I highly recommend trying it 🙂

• January 27, 2010 9:23 am

Thank you for the suggestion…I think Maya would love the banana soft serve!

• January 28, 2010 1:14 am

Question: is the banana skinned and frozen or frozen with the skin?
        ~a foodie finding the way around the kitchen 😀

2. January 27, 2010 4:44 am

I have that very same blender!! But have never used it. It was a wedding gift and hasn’t been taken out of its box in the year and 2 months we’ve been married. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it, but this post totally inspired me to unpack it and experiment. Thanks for the post!! 🙂

3. January 27, 2010 4:53 am

That’s awesome that you have such a great relationship with your in-laws. Mine is getting better, but it’s definitely something I’ve had to work on over the years.

Yep, that looks just like my magic bullet– convenient, right?!

4. January 27, 2010 5:03 am

Ok, reason number 1463926493 why I need to invest in a REALLy good blender. so so SO wonserful that you get along so well with you inlaws :)l

5. January 27, 2010 5:20 am

Ode to kitchen gadgets! They just make life sooo much easier. I hope to invest in a good food processor soon.

It’s wonderful to have such easy-going in-laws 😀

6. Danielle permalink
    January 27, 2010 6:19 am

That’s great that you love your in-laws; not a common thing 🙂
    Congrats on the new kitchen gadget! The possibilities are endless…

7. January 27, 2010 6:29 am

It’s so great that you get along with your in-laws. My parents are like that to me and my husband. And I’m so happy he gets along with them so well. He always jokes that he married me for my parents!

8. louisianagrown permalink
    January 27, 2010 6:45 am

Um, where can I find in-laws like this?

9. erintakescontrol permalink
    January 27, 2010 7:15 am

Yay for good inlaws!

10. January 27, 2010 8:10 am

I think I love your in Laws too. Mine done give goodies like that…actually niether of our parents are really in our lives (except my pops)

you mil just goes and shops for you and knows your style and your size ….sticky fingers, here I come!

they obviously love the heck out you and Ali and Maya. good for you.

It seems to make them happy to dote on all of you! 🙂

I have a magic bullet. You are going to LOVE your Rocket Blending Set. ( it seems the same to me)

oh, take some leftover scrambled eggs (cuz I know you eat them) and make leftover egg salad with them. I know you don’t eat bread but you can top a salad with it. It’s how I make it for JJ.

that thing is GREAT for lots of things… I take mine to the office!
    xo

• January 27, 2010 9:25 am

Great idea on the egg salad…I always forget about egg salad and I know that Maya liked it the one time she had it. Thanks for the suggestion! And I will be happy to send you any extra size 4’s in yellow and pink. 🙂

11. January 27, 2010 8:12 am

ps..I’m a size 4 and yellow/pink are my favorite colors…

just sayin’

(just kidding!!!)

enjoy my friend! ENJOY!

12. January 27, 2010 8:23 am

I’ve been wanting one of those blenders! Mine sucks (you can see it on my blog this morning, actually). Mine is very very messy and although you can use it as a drinking glass, it leaks horribly.

I love my in-laws too, by the way!

So cool to see a fellow SoCal person!!!

13. traynharder23 permalink
    January 27, 2010 8:28 am

HAHAHHA you are hilarious! a costco to which ONLY you are the members! =D
    that blender looks awesome. and no, you can’t have too much humus. humus + spoon = HEAVEN except you can’t talk to anyone for fear of GARLIC DRAGON BREATH!

14. January 27, 2010 9:15 am

Hey sweetie! I agree in-laws can make a world of difference. Im so glad you like yours!! I love my in-laws too. They are such wonderful and caring people. The blender looks absolutely awesome! How fun. I bet you can whip up a bunch of great stuff really fast in that. The smoothie that you made sounds awesome! And it looks like Maya enjoyed it alot too!

Oh this weekend we stayed at the Southpoint. So we just stayed there. Ended up eating one night at Baja Miguels which wasnt too bad. Not the greatest though. I dont think Id go back really. But overall fun. San Fran sounds like such a cool place to take a mini vaca!! I havent been up there yet..one day though! I hope you have such a fabulous day!!

15. traynharder23 permalink
    January 27, 2010 9:30 am

hmmmm. podcasts- i listened to robb wolf on paleo eating. interesting. =D other than that, i’ve HEARD taht jillian michaels’ podcasts are amazing, if you’ve not tried them yet!

16. January 27, 2010 9:48 am

Um that is pretty much the coolest thing ever. So jealous! Have fun with it!

And you are so luck you have amazing in-laws!

17. January 27, 2010 10:03 am

That’s so great that you love your in-laws!

My mother-in-law always buys me clothes… but sadly their just not my style. She just doesn’t get it… oh well, her hearts in the right place 🙂

18. January 27, 2010 11:09 am

I LOVE my MIL as well. Last weekend she happen to find the immersion blender that I have been eying at Kohl’s. She pays attention to things I love and does it out of the kindness of her heart. She is a great woman.

January 27, 2010 12:09 pm

haha I “grocery shop” in my parents kitchen all the time. I also got a painting for my living room, some pictures for my kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, and their blender until they buy me a new one for my birthday! Dont feel bad – we all do it.

• January 27, 2010 8:20 pm

I am SO glad that I am not the only one…although it is a bit more excusable to steal from your parents than your in-laws!

20. January 27, 2010 12:29 pm

wow…you werent kidding about the awesome in-laws! i got a food processor over the holidays and i am addicted to making various kinds of hummus (roasted red pepper, eggplant, sundried tomato, spicy curry, you name it!) along with cauliflower mash, pesto, and minted peas (mint leaves + cooked peas = amazing). have fun!!!

21. January 27, 2010 1:20 pm

Oh my goodness, that smoothie gadget looks awesome. Super jealous of the easy clean up too!!

I love my inlaws. I feel like they were made for me.

22. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 27, 2010 2:02 pm

no shame! sticky fingers is just another way of saying resourceful. wouldn’t want to let bananas or blenders go to waste now would you? pretty cool that you get alone with your inlaws, most people would search the house for a weapon instead of sabra or godiva!

23. January 27, 2010 2:50 pm

That’s great you and your in-laws get along! Desi MILs can be something else but you have lucked out!

I love “shopping” at my parents’ or in-laws’ houses!

You are making me wish I hadn’t gotten rid of my Magic Bullet!

24. January 27, 2010 3:14 pm

I assume theyre okay with you guys taking stuff?

• January 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Luckily they don’t mind at all…they’ve started buying multiples of things now because they know that at least one will disappear.

25. January 27, 2010 4:06 pm

That’s fantastic you have such a great relationship with your in-laws. I’m single right now but hope to get along with my future in-laws just as well.

26. actorsdiet permalink
    January 27, 2010 4:53 pm

cool contraption! i adore my in-laws as well – my husband gets along great with mine too…in fact both of our parents are friends. i understand this is very very rare….

27. January 27, 2010 4:56 pm

I think it’s wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your in-laws! I believe that’s every married person’s dream!

Ooh, I kind of want the Rocket Blender. It reminds me so much of the Magic Bullet!! 🙂

28. January 27, 2010 5:13 pm

It is very refreshing to hear someone say that they love their in-laws! I love mine too – well, most of the time 🙂

29. January 27, 2010 5:48 pm

NO blender for me ! I can barely pay for toilet paper 😦
    Nice in laws!
    Love your apartment Ameena…can I live with u 🙂

30. January 27, 2010 6:45 pm

I wish girl!!! Wow, you are lucky. Mine hate me……lol

I love this blender! I would be making soooo many different flours in it 🙂

I will buy one!

XXOO

• January 27, 2010 8:23 pm

I doubt that anybody could hate you! Not that I really know you or anything but I can tell from your blog that you are a very sweet person.

31. January 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey!
    I just came across your blog and I can’t wait to read it and follow!
    I would love it if you could check out mine and follow:)
    Jenna

32. January 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Hee hee, I just introduced a new hummus. Maybe you’ll like that.
    Hey, you really ARE the first person I’ve ever heard that actually “loves” her in-laws! That’s so wonderful, and refreshing to hear!

33. January 27, 2010 7:34 pm

You are a lucky girl 🙂

34. January 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh I am jealous of your “personal Costco”, your new found mini blender and Maya – I want someone to make smoothies on my command!

35. ghost6680 permalink
    January 27, 2010 11:55 pm

I am glad you love your in laws. I love mine. I enjoy them in my life and will continue too forever.

36. ghost6680 permalink
    January 27, 2010 11:55 pm

May God bless you continuously forever. Have a good one.

37. January 28, 2010 8:35 pm

We tend to acquire things from my in-laws as well. Last visit we brought home some new sweet and spicey sauce, a cup for Snuffy, and lotion. My MIL just offered us a DVD plaer they hadn’t opened.

38. February 14, 2010 5:24 am

Hi, Ive been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more!