A Tale of Two and a Half Dinners

January 19, 2010

After I picked Maya up from school, picked up the dry cleaning, read Maya about 20 books at the library, and gave her a bath, Maya said she wanted to eat. Stat.  Of course dinner wasn’t ready and when she asked why I told her it was because I’d been doing my nails since picking her up from school.  She thought for a second and then said “so what’s for dinner?”

I think my sarcasm is a bit much for a four-year-old to understand.

With limited time and even fewer groceries I made what Ali now calls Greek Style Chicken Parmigiano.  Sounds like a bad mix of two very distant cuisines, doesn’t it?  But it turned out surprisingly well.

I sautéed some organic chicken breast in olive oil, added some tomato sauce and then shredded the chicken.  I put a dollop of hummus (hommos?) on some Trader Joe’s Arabic bread, added some organic spinach and mozzarella cheese and put the whole thing in the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.

When dinner was ready 15 minutes later Maya had already eaten a banana and an apple so she barely ate half of her “chicken sandwich.”

As a side dish I roasted some sliced zucchini in olive oil and baked it at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Since I don’t eat chicken or bread I decided to make myself some salmon instead.  I used my foolproof Salmon Marinade but divided it by four to make enough for just one piece of fish:

Salmon Marinade

1/2 Tablespoon of plain mustard
1/2 Tablespoon of soy sauce
1/4 Tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 Tablespoon of apricot jam
1 Tablespoon of capers
1/4 of a medium onion

Combine the first 4 ingredients and pour over the salmon. Sprinkle the sliced onion and capers over the top and at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Before:

After – served over a bed of spinach:

My photography is getting better, isn’t it?  Okay so just humor me.

Although this was delicious I wasn’t very hungry tonight so I just ate about half of this with some zucchini.  I asked Ali to remind me how much I love this salmon so I can break away from the scrambled eggs rut that I am in.  I saw him put a note in his iPhone.  Seriously, he really did.  But he’ll probably forget he did, so I’m sure I’ll be back to eating scrambled eggs again soon enough.

Have a good night!

1. actorsdiet permalink
    January 19, 2010 9:31 pm

dinner looks delicious – i love that ali put the note in his iphone. that’s something my hubby would do.

2. January 20, 2010 3:54 am

Love the Greek tacos! And the Salmon marinade!

Hopefully Ali will remember and you won’t have to eat scrambled eggs again 🙂

3. January 20, 2010 4:10 am

Baked salmon is my favorite! I love how the flesh just melts in your mouth when it’s cooked to perfection.

The marinade sounds interesting. Would never thought to include jam in a marinade.

4. January 20, 2010 4:28 am

Those Greek Tacos look mouthwateringly good… I wish my mom cooked stuff like that for me when I was little!

I’m not big on fish, but my parents eat salmon quiet a bit… I may have to pass on your marinade to them 🙂

5. January 20, 2010 4:56 am

lol– yep, children rarely get my sarcasm either. Does not bode well for when I have kids of my own 🙂

I think this looks delicious!

6. rachael permalink
    January 20, 2010 5:05 am

I can’t imagine having to make two different dinners every night, on top of not being able to eat bread . . . poor you!

7. January 20, 2010 5:22 am

Wow Ameena…that is quite a lot of work. I am always impressed by people that take the simple things like chicken and salmon and jazz them up…great job. Love hummus and avocado on wraps!
    I love the sarcasm you have too…it will make your daughter more of a realistic and practical person in life I think — none of that “cinderella” idealism 🙂

8. January 20, 2010 5:28 am

Not bad for a last minute creative dinner! And I can’t imagine a little one picking up sarcasm but I sure laughed!

9. Danielle permalink
    January 20, 2010 5:50 am

I’m really sarcastic around my youngest brother and he’s finally starting to understand me 🙂

10. January 20, 2010 6:05 am

Mmm that salmon looks amazing. I can’t believe you make two dinners. I’m starting to feel pretty lame for whining about making one!

11. traynharder23 permalink
    January 20, 2010 6:40 am

HAHAHA a note in his iphone?! love it. i’m really sarcastic…doesn’t work when you’re working with kids.

12. January 20, 2010 7:12 am

OMG these look tasty!!! I have to try that marinade!

By the way, on what type of GF bread I use: Shar’s Classic White Bread. I get the kind made with rice flour. It’s definitely not normal bread, but I find that with a lot of nut butter smeared on it or egg soaked IN it, it tastes tolerable (;

13. traynharder23 permalink
    January 20, 2010 7:41 am

this rain is SOO CRAZY! it was like dry for 30 minutes yesterday too! i drov in the rain to go fill out my time sheet and move some steel. it was SERIOUSLY FLOODING!

14. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 20, 2010 8:23 am

your husband is so funny, pretty great that he put a reminder in his iPhone. hey, no problem with scrambled eggs! it always drives me crazy when my brothers complain about being hungry, so i make them something to eat but by the time (MAYBE 15 mins) it’s ready, they’ve already gorged themselves on snacks and are no longer hungry. grr.

15. January 20, 2010 9:16 am

my mister would LOVE that greek chicken parmeaan! I might be stealing that idea and pretending it’s mine for him later this week 😉

16. January 20, 2010 10:21 am

thanks for note on my blog! I appreciate it 🙂

that roasted zucchini looks amazing, and the chicken sounds great! I’ll have to try that.

17. louisianagrown permalink
    January 20, 2010 11:04 am

These are lovely food pictures. Much improvement! And really, I’m still loving the nerdy husband.

18. January 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Mm what an interesting twist on chicken parm!

19. January 20, 2010 1:25 pm

This meal looks fantastic. I love the infusion of two cuisines.

I love when my girls ask me questions like that and I am like are you kidding me. The life of mom’s.

20. January 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Those greek tacos look wonderful! So unique and creative. Adorable that Maya calls it a chicken sandwich. 😉 I’m so impressed with her. I wouldn’t have touched something like that with a 10 foot pole at her age. Now of course I’d gobble it right up in no time!! 🙂

21. January 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Oh everything looks delicious!

22. January 21, 2010 1:20 am

OMG, is it a husband thing to do that? My husband does that too. Ask him to remind me something & out comes his phone!

23. January 21, 2010 5:27 am

Love the salmon but the star of the dinner is definitely the Chicken. Looks so delicious!

24. January 21, 2010 7:50 am

your dinner(s) AND your pictures look wonderful. Made me hungry. your SALMON looks awesome too.

I can’t eat salmon without Trader Joe’s wasabi mayonaise. (just a bit) it’s so good!

but that’s me!

I love your sarcasm~ It cracks me up

25. January 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Your dinner sounds delicious!!! I’ll have to try that marinade, I LOVE salmon!