Godiva Chocolate Bar Cake

January 16, 2010

When we have absolutely nothing else to do Maya and I head to Pottery Barn Kids for some free entertainment.  As you can imagine, this happens quite often.  With  puzzles, pretend kitchens, fake food, cash registers, dress up tables, drawing tables and tons of other kids to play with, why would we go anywhere else?

A few weeks ago, when I was at my wit’s end (again), I took Maya to the Manhattan Beach location so she could run wild play.  As she joined forces with another kid (whose parents, incidentally, looked as exhausted as I felt) to clean a pretend room with a pretend vacuum, I browsed through the book section and found this cute kid’s cookbook:

For a change we left the store with an actual purchase!  Pottery Barn can finally show some ROI from the Din Family.

We cracked open the book this morning, and after much debate we decided to make the “Made-In-The-Pan Chocolate Cake.”

According to the recipe, this cake doesn’t require any bowls because you can mix everything in the baking pan.  With an easy clean up, this recipe was already a winner in my book.

We started following the recipe but then decided things were looking a little too plain.  So how does one dress up a chocolate cake, we wondered?  With more chocolate, of course!  We broke into our stockpiles of Godiva chocolate (thank you Grandpa for giving us a box every week), chopped a selection of chocolates into pieces, and threw them into our masterpiece.

And now, without any further ado, may I present you with a recipe for the best tasting cake you will ever have in your life:

Godiva Chocolate Bar Cake

1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
5 Godiva chocolates

In an 8″ X 8″ baking pan, mix all the dry ingredients together with a fork. Add the liquids to the pan and mix well. Chop up four of the Godiva chocolates and add to the mixture. Wipe the sides of the pan and add the last chocolate to the middle of the cake.

Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.

While the cake is baking feel free to make a mess licking your fingers.  And the measuring cups.  And the counter if needed.

Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes:

After the cake cools, cut a piece straight from the middle where the heart melted.  Why?  Because that is the best piece of the whole cake.

And enjoy!

1. January 17, 2010 4:47 am

What a cute book! Your daughter is beautiful! I can’t wait till my daughter is old enough to bake with me 🙂

2. January 17, 2010 5:15 am

Mmm, anything with Godiva sounds good to me. 😀 Love the little heart-shaped chocolate clump in the middle of the cake! The amount of canola oil in the recipe is unspecified though—I think you mean 1/3 cup?

3. January 17, 2010 5:28 am

Godiva chocolate is my weakness! Yummm…make me one and it wouldn’t last a day. What a cute little helper you have there.

4. January 17, 2010 5:30 am

Ok, 1) it is THE most brilliant idea to have a cake that leaves no empty mixing bowls and dishes!
    abd 2) I am incredibly jealous you get a free box of Godiva every week! I’m a total chocolate snob, but being a student = having to settle with Dove :p

5. January 17, 2010 5:31 am

Oh. This is so so lovely. Godiva chocolate is very rich and decadent. I hope you ate lots of it Ameena 🙂
    Little Maya is so sweet…she is like a mini version of you !

• January 17, 2010 10:23 am

I wish I could have tasted it but it had wheat…so no cake for me!

6. January 17, 2010 5:50 am

Yum! So easy…and looks delicious!

There is no way we could keep Godiva chocolates in the house over here– props to your willpower! 🙂

7. January 17, 2010 6:46 am

Oh how fun! That must have been such a great mother-daughter project!

Two thumbs up for adding the Godiva. Yum.

8. January 17, 2010 6:58 am

Chocolate cake sounds delicious right about now… good thing my mom actually baked some yesterday lol. Would it be wrong to have chocolate cake for breakfast?

And Maya is adorable, as always 🙂

9. January 17, 2010 8:24 am

Such precious memories you’re making with Maya! That cake looks amazing!!

10. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 17, 2010 8:56 am

hey that cookbook is by mollie katzin right? or however you spell her name. she’s the author of the moosewood cookbooks!! i saw a bunch of those kid oriented cookbooks by her…one of them is called pretend soup and other real recipes, and another called salad people. both had yummy healthy things that seem easy to prepare with kids (and easy to clean up!)

• January 17, 2010 10:25 am

Hi – Yes it is by Mollie Katzen…her books are super cute!

11. January 17, 2010 9:37 am

oh! so yum cant wait to try out 🙂

January 17, 2010 2:33 pm

I LOVE the no extra dishes to clean idea. Especially since I dont have a dishwasher.

13. Lynn at The Actors Diet permalink
    January 17, 2010 2:41 pm

fun fun fun!

14. January 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Get outta here! I’ve never heard of such a wonderful cake-concoction this this before. Wish I was chomping on it right now.

15. January 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Amazing and easy looking cake! Are there other great recipes in this book??

What a bunch of cute pictures!

XXOO

• January 17, 2010 8:53 pm

The recipes are really cute and simple. Surprisingly they have all turned out really well so far!

16. January 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Oh how wonderful I am loving all the chocolate! Looks like ya’ll had a great time in the kitchen!

17. January 18, 2010 2:49 am

I am sitting here at work, desperately craving that piece of cake. My imagination and drool are killing me. I need a chocolate fix – there goes crash diet: crashing as usual. 😦

18. January 18, 2010 7:56 am

Did it taste as good as it looks? I have been craving chocolate cake 🙂

19. January 18, 2010 8:16 am

I love play dates in the kitchen..but I have boys…(but when did that stop us???)

I have a pottery barn nearby…I wonder if they have the play stuff there? must go see!

Maya looks SO excited waiting for that cake!
    xo

20. January 18, 2010 8:47 am

I like anything with chocolate but this looks beyond amazing!

21. January 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Yummm, this looks absolutely fantastic! Total cake envy. The no-dishes thing is quite enticing too :P.

22. January 21, 2010 4:40 pm

wow this looks great!

23. September 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi there,I check your blogs named “Godiva Chocolate Bar Cake | Fancy That…Fancy This” like every week.Your humoristic style is witty, keep up the good work! And you can look our website about free anonymous proxies.