Power Strips and Eggs

January 10, 2010

We left Westwood for Orange County this morning, bright and early.  A friend of Ali’s had a baby 4 months ago and I am embarassed to say that only today did we have a chance to visit them.  What’s been holding us back?  The long drive down South.  Despite what Lauren Conrad implies (or used to imply) it is probably only about 45 miles door to door, but traffic is so unpredictable that we just never get down to Orange County.  Clearly we are not very good friends.

Somehow we managed to get to the OC without too much traffic, any motion sickness, or having to hear the OC’s theme song on the radio.  We did not manage to get there without tying our pants to our foot, however.

I never knew I’d have to utter the words, “Maya please don’t tie your pants to your foot anymore.”  Parenthood is full of constant surprises.

After visiting Ali’s friend and one of the cutest babies we’d ever seen, we headed down even further to have lunch at the best mall on the planet, South Coast Plaza.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) the place we initially planned to eat at was permanently closed, so we decided to try out a new restaurant called Anqi instead.

We have been to the An Family’s Beverly Hills restaurant, Crustacean, many times so we were excited to try Anqi.  The restaurant was beautiful, with a very zen-like, modern feel.

We found out the restaurant had just opened December 10.

Maya behaved for a little while, but then things got a little crazy with the chopsticks.

Luckily our food came before she could poke my eye out.

Maya and Ali split the beef sliders with french fries.  I had no idea that Euro-Vietnamese fusion cuisine also included American comfort food.

They also split the famous An Family Garlic Noodles.

I had the Hawaiian Ono with Citrus Sauce.  It was excellent.  I didn’t want it to end but of course, it did.

The restaurant was kind enough to give us dessert on the house…Chocolate Lava Cake with Eggplant Relish.

Maya went to town on the dessert but left all the relish.  I had a taste of it and then chased it down with some decaf.  Interesting concept but I think eggplant is better left as part of an entrée.

I don’t normally make a habit of taking pictures in a restroom, but this bonsai (I think?) was too awesome not to document.

All in all Anqi’s food, service, and decor was excellent and I can’t wait to go again.

After the restaurant Maya took a trip on the Merry Go Round…

And then we walked and walked and walked the mall in an effort to tire her out for the car ride home.  As you can tell, it’s all about planning in our family.

But then on our way home we saw an Ikea and deviated from the plan.  Can you believe I have never been there?  Ikea is basically Costco Supersized.  Where else can you buy dish towels and Swedish Meatballs in one place?  But the best part of all?

They have free daycare!  What an amazing concept!!

Maya was thrilled to have a place to play and didn’t want to come out of Smaland when we picked her up 30 minutes later.  Ali had second thoughts himself about picking her up.

We ended up buying batteries, a storage container for Maya’s shoes, and three power strips.  We have power strips coming out of our ears but Ali likes to err on the side of caution.  One can never have too many I guess.

We just finished dinner…pasta for Ali and Maya and yes, scrambled eggs for me.  Maybe I should stop calling the kettle black?

1. January 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Maya is so adorable! I couldn’t help but laugh at those pictures…oh childhood..such simple things can be utilized for entertainment!
    And I can’t believe you’d never been to IKEA…I LOVE it! And their prices/styles are pretty decent and trendy!

2. January 11, 2010 12:32 am

Eggplant Relish.. that sounds.. intresting? haha never pictured it being put with a desert 😀 looked realy nice there though!
    love the blog, peony xx

3. January 11, 2010 3:27 am

Don’t you just love family road trips. I too always find myself telling my two strange things not to do in the car.
    That resturant looks amazing 🙂

4. January 11, 2010 4:19 am

As a kid, I was just like Maya. Going nuts at a restaurant was my favorite thing to do to embarrass my parents 🙂

I love the mother-daughter pics!

5. January 11, 2010 5:05 am

Eggplant relish…on a chocolate dessert? ummmm….not exactly the right combo I would think. Perhaps on some crackers!

You and Maya are just too cute! You are beautiful and she is just downright adorable!

6. January 11, 2010 5:32 am

My oh my. A lovely post. Your posts are such a great balance between informative, comedic, a peek into your life, books, thoughts, etc. I love it!
    You and Maya are stunning look dear. Absolutely stunning – I say that sincerely. She will be the envy of all the girls as she gets older 🙂
    Nice post – and that dish you ordered looks unique – but kind of good….warm noodles, looks comforting!

7. January 11, 2010 5:59 am

looks like a wonderful trip to the mall! your dish looks soo good, i wouldn’t want it to end either!
    love maya so adorable 🙂
    happy monday!

8. January 11, 2010 6:08 am

Mmmm…looks like a lovely meal! Love it that y’all got to ride the carousel afterwards 🙂

9. Danielle permalink
    January 11, 2010 6:17 am

All the food is beautiful (and so is the bathroom!) That’s nice that they have free daycare; I love Ikea 🙂

10. Salt permalink
    January 11, 2010 6:19 am

I am a total Ikea junkie. Like half of our apartment came from there.

All that food looks delicious and your daughter is adorable! The picture with the chopstick antennae…totally something I would do. 🙂

11. January 11, 2010 6:49 am

Eggplant relish sounds a bit… off. That restaurant looks really nice though. I love the bonsai tree! The one I have in my room looks nothing like that one.

Sounds like a fun day 🙂

12. January 11, 2010 8:03 am

Ameena, you dine at the most beautiful restaurants! Thanks for sharing…and the things we end up saying as parents always CRACK me up!

Happy Monday

13. louisianagrown permalink
    January 11, 2010 9:17 am

I could teach Maya some tricks with those chopsticks. If you stick them in your top lip and let them hang down, you look just like a walrus. 😉

• January 11, 2010 11:58 pm

LOL!! That’s quite creative.
      Maya sure didn’t look too sure about the encouragement she was receiving with the chopsticks!

14. January 11, 2010 9:43 am

That restaurant looks great! Maya is adorable.

15. January 11, 2010 11:21 am

I always love trying new restaurants!
    I just finished another good book I wanted to tell you about! It’s called Family Baggage by Monica McInerney. That last book I told you about unfortunately got a little depressing towards the end and stopped being quite as funny . . . so I don’t know if you want to read it!

January 11, 2010 11:35 am

Maya is SO cute!
    That meal looks SO good! I love eating at new places, its so much fun.

17. January 11, 2010 1:15 pm

As a first grade teacher I have those moments all the time where I never would have thought I’d have to tell the kids not to do something, haha! 😉 Guess it’s good practice for being a parent!

18. January 11, 2010 4:16 pm

I have not been to Ikea in so long. I didn’t know they have daycare. That is cool!

You look like a model in that fourth pic (with Maya). Have you done modeling? 🙂

19. January 11, 2010 4:49 pm

the food really looks tasty 🙂

Thx for sharing the photo of the bathroom, so that’s how girls’ side looks like O.o (lol)

20. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 11, 2010 5:13 pm

crustacean is amazing, so glad you got the garlic noodles…that recipe is under lock and key! i used to live in irvine (went to UCI) so it’s funny you talk about south coast plaza…memories! you’re gorgeous btw

21. January 11, 2010 5:26 pm

oh my the desert Maya is having looks really good.. yum!

22. January 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Haha, I just did a post on scrambled eggs…maybe you’ll like that one, too.
    The dishes there look terrific! I LOVE westernized Asian cuisine. It’s always interesting, and caters exactly to my tastes, which is a little bit of both!

23. January 11, 2010 7:46 pm

I love that you gave LC a shout out 🙂 and I want a bite of Maya’s dessert!

24. January 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Your daughter is so adorable! I had to laugh at her tying her pants to her foot. 🙂

I love IKEA and would live there if I could.

25. February 3, 2010 11:42 pm

Wow just came across this post since blog world is my recent discovery. I love the original An family restaurant Thanh Long (spelling?) in SF Sunset district near GG Park. Their house special crab was one of the best (my Mom’s is right there too). Since then add’l Crustaceans have followed. Am Excited that there is one in South Coast Plaza area as my two siblings live near there and we will be visiting them in less than 2 wks. We are going to the Goofy Kitchen at the Disney Hotel for sure. Yum yum yummmmmm.