Bargain Basement

January 8, 2010

Today I trekked out to Pasadena to join my mother and cousin for lunch.  While beautiful, Pasadena is unbelievably far from where I live.  It only took an hour, three freeways, and several angry gestures to get there.

My cousin wanted to go to CPK for lunch.  For anyone unfamiliar with California Pizza Kitchen, it is a great place for casual dining.  They have excellent pizza, salads, pasta, and soups.  This location, in particular, is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen.  Ali, Maya, and I have a slight addiction to CPK and thus have visited probably 30 different branches so I know what I’m talking about.

I had the BBQ Chicken Salad with avocado instead of chicken, no cheese, dressing on the side.  I am super low maintenance. I forgot to take a picture but here is one from their website:

I have literally eaten this salad over 1,000 times and I still love it.

We took my cousin Ambareen out to lunch because she has just 8 weeks left until her due date life changes forever.

Sleepless nights?  Check.  Screaming baby?  Check.  Supportive cousin to help with the sleepless nights and crying baby?  Sorry Ambareen, been there, done that.  Maya sucked all the patience out of me when she was about 3 days old.  I have nothing left to offer.

We took this picture outside the restaurant where it was a balmy 80 degrees.  I can’t get over hot much warmer Pasadena is than where I live…it always seems to be about 10 degrees hotter.

In my cousin’s honor, I managed to dress in something other than my sweats.  Can you believe this dress was only $4?  I think it was originally $25!   I am not a bargain hunter in the least but if you have the energy to get past their jumbled shelves and crazy lines Old Navy is just a fabulous store.   Their regular prices are unbelievable and when they have a sale?  Prices are so low they are almost obscene.   It is a mystery how Old Navy makes a profit.

I just had scrambled eggs for dinner and am looking forward to some HGTV and some chocolate.  I am a cheap date.  How lucky is Ali?  It really doesn’t take much to make me happy.

Are you a good bargain hunter?  Can you beat my $4 dress?

1. January 9, 2010 2:03 am

Oh my gosh. I LOVE your boots! And Old Navy is great for affordable clothing. How awful is it that, in comparison to Doha, Cambridge seems really inexpensive? Man… I miss Target 😉 And Old Navy.

But especially Target 😉

2. January 9, 2010 4:22 am

Cute outfit…and what a $4 find!! Lucky you!

3. January 9, 2010 5:40 am

I love CPK!! Their salads are so good!

Super cute outfit! I love a good bargain!

4. January 9, 2010 5:44 am

Wow…$4…amazing. You and your friend look so happy. So jealous of your weather lovely lady.
    I did not post today…I felt very negative and worried it would be a post too fuelled with emotion. I hate that because I feel that a blog post is the only thing I am able to accomplish in a day…nothing else really…and I want to post every day…but I suppose its the way it goes. I would rather not write something I might regret…its just life.
    Have a lovely day.

5. Danielle permalink
    January 9, 2010 7:28 am

I def. can’t beat a $4 dress 🙂 I love finding a good bargain but the problem is I need to start wearing actual clothes (as opposed to the sweats I wear everyday).

• January 9, 2010 10:08 am

I have the same problem getting out of my super comfy sweats every day. I could live in tacky velour with no problem.

6. January 9, 2010 7:44 am

I’m a total bargain hunter too. I don’t think I can beat the $4 dress, but I definitely have a few $4 shirts and skirts in my closet!!

7. January 9, 2010 7:55 am

We have a CPK near me, but I’ve never been! I have heard a lot about that salad though so if I ever go, I’m definitely ordering it!

Adorable outfit! Awesome bargain on the dress!!

8. January 9, 2010 8:52 am

Way to go on that $4 dress find! Its super cute! I try to bargain hunt the best I can. $12 yoga pants on sale this week at Old Navy apparently so Im going to try and hit that up. (One can never have too many pairs of spandex pants=) You and your cousin look gorgeous in those pictures too btw. I wish your cousin the best of luck! What an awesome lookin salad from CPK too!! wonderful! I hope you are having a lovely start to your weekend sweetie!

• January 9, 2010 10:09 am

I can NEVER have enough yoga pants so I might need to check out these $12 Old Navy ones!

9. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 9, 2010 9:09 am

you are so completely gorgeous and stylish, i LOVE that outfit! those boots are great! fun day with your cousin, i used to frequent CPK all the time 🙂

• January 9, 2010 10:10 am

Thank you for making me feel like a million bucks in my $4 dress!

10. January 9, 2010 10:07 am

Your wearing a scarf in 80 degree weather? Idk what you would do in the 20 degree weather here!!!

Super cute find- I love Old Navy you really have to dig around to get the goods!

Yay! Maya will have a baby to play with :)!

11. January 9, 2010 1:15 pm

Aww! Your cousin looks gorgeous! (as do you, always, and in the new dress)

What a good buy! I seem to find super cheap stuff like that too. Target has some pretty good stuff too!

12. Kate permalink
    January 9, 2010 2:02 pm

your posts crack me up! i so appreciate your sarcasm 🙂

13. January 9, 2010 2:32 pm

Before I even got to the last section I thought, I have GOT to find out where that outfit comes from. I love it. So, to finish it off: where’d you get the leggins/tights and boots? While it’s not really practical for a winter in my area (for that you need ski pants right now), it’s so cute for spring.

• January 9, 2010 9:10 pm

Thank you for your kind comment!

The leggings are from Zara and the boots are from DSW if you can believe it. My mother-in-law gave me the scarf so the entire outfit was an amazing deal!

14. January 9, 2010 3:14 pm

wow $4 is such a steal!!
    ahh anything BBQ flavored is ahmazing 🙂

15. Lynn at The Actors Diet permalink
    January 9, 2010 3:24 pm

i was in pasadena yesterday too!!!

16. January 9, 2010 4:26 pm

$4 dress?!!! WOW! In America, I don’t think I can beat that bargain…in India on the other hand- I’ve snagged a whole bunch of cute silk kurtas for under $1.
    I love CPK too…it’s probably my favourite chain- I love the grilled vegetable salad with grilled shrimp or the santa fe chicken pizza. Yum 🙂

17. January 9, 2010 5:04 pm

Just found your blog! I love it and can’t wait to keep reading! I would love it if you could check out mine 🙂
    Jenna

18. January 9, 2010 6:05 pm

80 degrees?!?! oh my GOSH that sounds heavenly!!!! where is that again?
    salad looks great too girl!

19. January 9, 2010 8:39 pm

Love your outfit. Classy, chic. And I can’t believe it’s $4. Gosh, I need to go shopping with you!

January 9, 2010 9:27 pm

OMG – I cant believe you got that dress for $4. Thats awesome! I get so excited when I get a good deal. I did get a shirt once for only a dollar becuase I waited for EVER to get service, but it wasnt that cute.

21. January 9, 2010 9:29 pm

awww, I am sorry Maya sucked all your patience at 3 days. haha
    those first days are so magical, and YES tiring and frightening too.
    Congrats to your cousin. I miss my belly sometimes but me N JJ are buds now so I wouldn’t go back either!

I LOVE bargains. I LOVE Old Navy. Let’s be friends!!
    xo