A Granola Kind of Day

January 5, 2010

Thank you all for sharing your experiences regarding my post yesterday.  While I’m not thrilled others have had to deal with similar situations, it is nice to know that others have had to deal with similar situations!  Anyway, after blazing three miles on the treadmill this morning, I felt a ton better.  My arthritic knee doesn’t agree but sometimes a run at 5:30 am is just what you need.

After the gym I was suddenly inspired to make granola.  Ali has actually been asking me to make it for a while but since I wasn’t able to eat it (Fat Flush) I decided not to make it.  I can be pretty selfish at times.  I won’t share my bathroom, closet, or blanket with Ali.  Or Maya.  Or anyone else for that matter.  Nor will I share my glass or spoon. I have issues sharing space and germs.  I think we can all agree that I won’t be winning Mother/Wife of the Year Award anytime soon.

Anyway, while I love the taste of store-bought granola I don’t love the following:

1. The price tag – why buy something you can make for a fraction of the price in 10 minutes?

2. The amount of fat – granola should not be filled with tons of oil and butter. Some commercial brands even use trans-fat which literally makes me nauseous.

3. The amount of refined sugar – I don’t like to eat anything super sweet and that especially includes something I eat at breakfast. Why start the day out on the wrong foot? I prefer to end the day on the wrong foot with my ridiculous chocolate habit.

After investigating many different recipe sites for a healthier granola I came up with my own version using the following ingredients:

Looking at this picture one might note that I have a slight addiction to Trader Joe’s.  And I do.  I love almost all their stuff except their oatmeal.  Sorry TJ’s but your oatmeal is a just an inferior quality compared to Ralphs brand.  Plus, it is expensive and your tiny canister lasts about 5 minutes in my house.  But that’s okay, we’ll continue to visit your store for everything else, especially Maya’s free stickers and free snacks.

Easy Stovetop Granola

2 cups of rolled oats
1/3 cup of slivered almonds
1/3 cup of dried cranberries (I used a mixture of cranberries and raisins)
1 Tablespoon of maple syrup
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 Tablespoon of vanilla
Cinnamon

1. Toast the oats in a large nonstick pan for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Remove the toasted oats into another container and set aside.

2. Using the same (now empty) pan combine the maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla for 2-3 minutes over low heat.

3. Add the almonds stirring constantly.

4. Add half of the toasted oats and stir until clumps form. Add the rest of the toasted oats and stir until everything is combined.

5. Chop the cranberries/raisins into smaller pieces and add to the rest of the mixture.

6. Sprinkle with cinnamon and store in an airtight container after the granola cools completely.

Ali felt pretty daring this morning and ventured away from his usual bowl of morning oatmeal to join me in eating some granola topped with Oikos plain 0% yogurt.  Separate spoons were involved, of course.

Thank you Oikos for sending us coupons to try your yogurt.  I love greek yogurt and yours is just as good as my favorite Trader Joe’s version except that it’s better because it is organic and I am all about purchasing organic when possible.  That being said both Ali and I agreed (and that never happens) that the yogurt is much better on its own because it makes the granola soggy.

I offered some to Maya and she said, “that granola doesn’t smell very good.”  I guess some of us find the delicious smells of cinnamon and vanilla offensive.  So Maya went with a tried and true bowl of Cinnamon Puffins mixed with Joe O’s.

As you can see her distaste included visual effects.  She should have been sent to her room for being so rude but I have to admit the Puffins are a pretty tasty second to my granola.  So I forgave her.

Maya would like to thank you Puffins, for saving her from almost certain incarceration this morning.  Her mom thanks you too.

1. The Pancake Girl permalink
    January 5, 2010 10:07 pm

Your blog is just adorable, and now I want to whip up my own batch of granola. I’m so glad you stopped by my blog today! 🙂

2. January 6, 2010 4:39 am

ah your granola looks and sounds great!!
    but miss maya does know what she’s talking about puffins are amazing 🙂
    happy wednesday!

3. January 6, 2010 5:06 am

I love making my own granola, and granola bars….mmmm good!

And your view out your window!!! OMG! You’ve got a whole city to gaze down at! So much different than looking out my window. How exciting!

4. January 6, 2010 5:31 am

That looks like a good recipe Ameena. Granola I think is so yum…oats, mixed cereals, dried fruits, nuts/seeds…lots of potential for sweetner choices, etc.
    No TJ’s where I am – I hear its great though!
    And I like the comments you made re motherhood in the beginning. You are just…real. Space is something everyone should have to themselves…sanitation is something we all need!…it doesn’t make you a bad mother…it makes you real 🙂

5. January 6, 2010 5:46 am

Oooh, stovetop granola– interesting! I’ve always just made it in the oven, but this looks delicious!

6. Danielle permalink
    January 6, 2010 6:55 am

I love granola! I had no idea you could make it on the stove-top? I’m saving this to my recipe box

7. January 6, 2010 7:02 am

I’m the same way with the sweet breakfast thing–with the exception of fruit!!

Thanks for the recipe–I can’t wait to try. I’m going to give it a whirl with agave instead of maple syrup. I’ll let you know how it goes 😉

8. January 6, 2010 8:42 am

Granola looks great! I wish we had a trader joes here!

PS–I left you the beautiful blogger award!

9. louisianagrown permalink
    January 6, 2010 9:15 am

Baaa… it looks like Maya could tip over and fall to her death at any moment!

10. January 6, 2010 9:35 am

Great blog! I look forward to reading more.

11. January 6, 2010 9:48 am

Oh yum!! granola is such a weakness of mine. Id like to pretend it was all calorie free but alas…your home made granola on the other hand looks absolutely amazing!! and healthy too! I love the low sugar content and the addition of the olive oil! Wonderful! Great view too girl=)

12. traynharder23 permalink
    January 6, 2010 10:37 am

hahhaha crazy workouts. YES THE WEATHER IS AMAZING!!!! time to bust out my shorts al though a lot of them are tight- (put on a little too much weight through over eating, that’s for sure!)

hahahah get on doing the award!

13. January 6, 2010 11:29 am

Your granola looks good…

YOu have a nice view from your placec 🙂

January 6, 2010 12:00 pm

That granola looks awesome! Im gonna have to try it.
    As for being selfish, Im the same way! I HATE sharing. I know its awful, but I just dont like it. There was an incident at an all you can eat sushi place once where my boyfriend took one of my spring rolls without asking. Yah – we never went back there again. lol

15. erintakescontrol permalink
    January 6, 2010 12:40 pm

Your daughter is a very wise young lady. Puffins are rockin!

16. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 6, 2010 12:47 pm

every kid loves puffins! scratch that, EVERYONE loves puffins, kid or not! i love granola, it’s great that you figured out your own recipe. you have a beautiful view from your home!

17. January 6, 2010 1:02 pm

I’m so glad I came across this post because I was actually recently thinking about making my own granola, but decided that it seemed to difficult. But from the looks of it, it seems very do-able! So thanks =)

I just love your blog! I’ll definitely be a follower =)

18. Kate permalink
    January 6, 2010 2:07 pm

i hear you on the not sharing. for me it is my pillows. nobody touches them!

19. January 6, 2010 4:46 pm

I used to make granola all the time! One of my sons loves it, but I don’t ever think about making it these days 😦 Your right about store bought granola. The companies that make it claim it is a ‘health’ food, and it can be if it’s not loaded with fat and sugar. Yours looks yummy!

20. January 6, 2010 5:08 pm

Ahhh kids! Looks yummy. I think I am going to order some of the 18 Rabbits granola after tasting how awesome their bars are.

*Check out the 2 giveaways going on @ monicaonthego.com, Etsy headband and Natures Gate lotion set*

21. January 6, 2010 8:11 pm

I think I might try that recipe of granola! Sounds delightful 🙂 AND not too sweet.

22. January 6, 2010 8:16 pm

I ❤ granola with yogurt are you sure you did not like it ?

Either way great job on making your own it is expensive and more addicting than crack- not that I would know…

23. January 6, 2010 9:05 pm

Oh, I started making granola this fall and I am addicted to it! Good for you and I have the “if you don’t like it…more for me” policy.

unfortunately, though, the stuff I LOVE, my boys do too.

xo

Maya as always is ADORABLE

24. January 6, 2010 10:19 pm

Your daughter is adorable!

I never realized how easy it was to make granola. I must have three different store bought brands right now but I am making my own next time!

25. January 7, 2010 1:49 am

Now I know what is granola 😀
    Loved the view AND the Mickey Mouse placemat. 😀

26. January 7, 2010 3:41 am

Your homemade granola looks great! I think I would really like cranberries and raisins in mine (if I made some!).

27. January 7, 2010 4:49 am

I’ve been meaning to make granola forever, and now I just might have to…

While Puffins are good, I think a good granola is better 🙂 I love coconut, almonds, and raisins in mine…

28. lowandbhold permalink
    January 7, 2010 9:32 am

The smell of cinnamon + vanilla is the best. Kid’s crazy 😉 I heart Puffins too though, so I get it.

29. January 7, 2010 9:36 pm

I love the granola! And before you even mentioned the “Trader Joe’s addiction” I was looking at your food items going, hey that looks like MY pantry!! 😉 Who can resist all the good finds at TJ’s?