An Escape to the Beach

January 3, 2010

As I mentioned yesterday, Los Angeles is in the midst of summer.  And while the temperatures outside might only be in the upper-70’s, our condo is always at least 10 degrees hotter than that thanks to the sun hitting our windows all morning.  So in order to maintain at least an illusion of happiness in the Din household, as well as to save some money on our astronomical air conditioning bill, we decided to escape to the beach.

Manhattan Beach is a small, completely underrated area full of beautiful people with beautiful homes and beautiful cars.  Seriously, everyone there looks like they walked out of a J.Crew catalog.  I don’t know how they do it.  But every once in a while when we feel like our egos need a reality check, we drive down to Manhattan Beach and visit our favorite restaurant, Petros.

This place has not only a fabulous location just blocks from the beach, but they are also part of a complex with a fountain in the center that kids can jump and play in at their own peril.

The fountain is visible by Petros’ outdoor seating area.  This means that while Maya risks a broken neck by sliding around with no shoes on, Mom and Dad get five minutes of peace and quiet.

Unless, of course, Dad decides to take work calls on a Sunday afternoon.

I decided that the new, daring 2010 me would order something different from my usual Horitaki Salad.  After much debate and anxiety I went with the Swordfish Souvlaki instead:

Skewered seasoned swordfish with grilled vegetables and latholemono sauce

I have no idea what latholemono sauce is but this was absolutely phenomenal.  I don’t usually care for Swordfish but I’m really glad I gave it another try.

Meanwhile, Ali went with an old favorite, Chicken Spaghetti:

Spaghetti with grilled chicken, broccolini, Epirus feta, chili, garlic, tomatoes and basil.

He is a creature of habit and apparently has no intention of changing that in 2010.  His lunch looked amazing to me but Ali requested a redo because it was “either too salty or too garlicky.”  I guess the flavors of salt and garlic are interchangeable.

Petros was nice enough to not only remake it with the exact amount of required salt and garlic, but they also took the spaghetti off our bill.  Completely unexpected but very appreciated.

So in order to celebrate we ordered dessert, 5 Layer Chocolate Cake:

Five layers of chocolate cake with chocolate fudge icing served with vanilla ice cream

I had two tiny bits of frosting and consoled myself with this excellent cup of decaf:

Afterwards we hung out around the fountain while Maya ran herself into exhaustion:

She got no arguments from us.

Somehow she scored a balloon too:

My daughter can smell a free deal a mile away.  It is the Indian in her.

After lunch we hit Pottery Barn Kids from some storage solutions (much-needed) and then Old Navy for some cheap, not really needed clothing for Ali and Maya.  We got home right after the sunset…perfect timing as our condo was finally cool again.

Today was a good day.  And not just because we got free spaghetti.

Thank you again Petros for your amazing customer service.  That is why we love coming to your restaurant!

1. January 3, 2010 9:48 pm

Th chocolate cake and coffee look delicious! And yea for customer service!

2. January 4, 2010 5:38 am

I like this post. That restaurant looks good. I cannot believe at all the weather you have, when it is so frigid and extreme here it will cut you to the bone….unable to bear being outside for a leisure walk any longer than 20-30 minutes tops …yipes!

3. January 4, 2010 6:28 am

Agh! I can’t believe you’re able to dine al fresco this time of year– I am so jealous!

Your meal also is causing major jealousy in this household 🙂

4. January 4, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Ameena…glad you stopped by!

If you go to this link and do Linda’s short survey you could have a chance to win the gluten free book….I signed up…yippee!

Good luck and enjoy!

Your meal looks yummy!

5. January 4, 2010 8:01 am

What an amazing afternoon! I was cold all day yesterday! PERFECT afternoon in my book. And Petros’ food looks and sounds wonderful.

and I love old navy and pottery barn.

sigh

6. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 4, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I LOVE your name, it is so pretty :). Your daughter is gorgeous too! I love “meeting” fellow californians in the blog world, too bad you’re all the way in SoCal!

7. louisianagrown permalink
    January 4, 2010 8:29 am

Petros shouldn’t have done that. What if your husband turns into that man who complains every single time a restaurant puts food in front of him just he can get a free meal? They might have created a monster! But really, it would be worth a try. Picture all of the free goods…

8. erintakescontrol permalink
    January 4, 2010 8:32 am

Looks like a fabulous day! I absolutely love latholemono sauce, and its so easy to make at home! I’m eyeballing that cake, though!

January 4, 2010 9:57 am

That food looks SO good!
    I love that Maya can spot anything free! Thats awesome.

10. January 4, 2010 10:21 am

The food looks fab.. but the 5 layer chocolate cake looks AWESOME.. I want some 🙂

11. January 4, 2010 10:40 am

What a lovely day! I hear ya on the hubby with a cellphone attached to his ear! It’s the nature of his job, but sometimes…. 🙂

Maya is just a doll! I love that picture of her with the big blue balloon!

Proud you were only tempted to take two small bites of frosting. I would have inhaled that cake myself!!! 🙂

12. January 4, 2010 1:34 pm

SO fun! Manhattan beach is one of my most favorite places to hit. Always some cool stuff around! I havent been to that restaurant but it looks fantastic. Im so loving all this warm weather too. It was amazing. I wandered around yesterday for the longest time because i just loved being outdoors.

All those eats that you had at the restaurant look so wonderful. I’ll have to look that place up soon. I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!

13. January 4, 2010 6:39 pm

Maya is absolutely adorable! But you hear that all the time, right? 🙂

14. January 5, 2010 11:41 am

you daughter is BEAUTIFUL!! oh my goodness-love her dark, pretty skin!
    your meal looks fab!

15. January 5, 2010 1:38 pm

It was ten below zero this morning. There’s goin’ to be no al fresco goin’ on in the Ozarks today, more like al freezo! Maybe if ya’ll would send me some of that cake and coffee??? Just sayin’! Heeeheehe!

Your daughter is just beautiful. Have a fantastic day and may God bless ya’ll!!!

16. January 5, 2010 3:58 pm

I just wanted to thank you for your sweet comment.

In the words of old Granny Clampett, “ya’ll come back now, ya hear!!!”

17. January 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Just wanted to inform you that the website isn’t loading correctly in Chrome 3 for me. I am getting a lot of 404 problem information.

1. Fancy That…Fancy This