It’s New Year’s Eve…and??

December 31, 2009

Way back when I lived at home and didn’t know anything about anything, New Year’s Eve always seemed so magical.  Looking back I realize it wasn’t the holiday so much as the fact that we never allowed to celebrate it and obviously, the forbidden seems that much more appealing.  My parents were strict.  As in “you can watch a half an hour of TV a day on weekends only” strict.  So it was an exercise in futility to think they’d allow us to actually go out on New Year’s Eve when they barely let us go for a walk at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon.

As a parent, I totally get it now.  Why on earth would you allow your teenage daughters to go out and party until midnight when there are drunk drivers and other crazy people lurking about?  But back then, my sister and I were much less understanding.

We tried to make the best of the situation and so we’d run out and buy a bottle of Martinelli’s, a Boboli, and turn on Dick Clark.  We did our best to make it to midnight but every year my sister would be fast asleep by 10pm and I’d follow shortly thereafter.  The next morning we’d wake up, put the unopened Martinelli’s in a cupboard, and wait for the following year when we’d start the process all over again.

I always promised myself that when I got older I would make sure that New Year’s Eve was a big deal.  But now that I am older everything New Year’s related just seems like way too much work.  Who wants to make reservations at an overpriced restaurant, get dressed up, find a babysitter, celebrate the stroke of midnight with a bunch of strangers, and then hightail it home at 12:01 just so that we can tell everyone we did something interesting?

Well, clearly not us.

So this is how we spent the day instead:

1. It all started with a visit to the dentist to catch up on my reading have a crown put on.

2. I came home and went postal because the house looked like a hurricane struck.  How does that happen in the span of two hours?  I was so angry that I forgot to take a picture.

3. I recovered from my rage and we went hiking at Franklin Canyon to tire Maya out be one with nature.

Maya still found things to kick around.

And apparently she knows how to focus the camera better than her mother.

This could be a photo worth printing if it wasn’t for Maya wearing clashing colors and a white trash T-shirt.

“Daddy knows a lot but Mommy knows everything.”

White trash or not, who can argue with the truth?

4. We came home and appreciated the flowers and tree in our lobby before they are brutally ripped away tomorrow.  Building Management wastes no time concluding the holidays around here.

5. We had a Mexican fiesta for dinner…I made turkey fajitas and my version of spanish rice for Ali and Maya.

Thank you Trader Joe’s for all your help.  As always I couldn’t have done it without you.

6. The party is just getting started around here…Maya just broke out the Fancy Nancy sunglasses and some Lady Gaga.

Anything could happen now.

Happy New Year’s!

1. December 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Happy New Year! I thought I was the only one with the no tv childhood!

I really hope no one I know reads my blog and decides to call my parents about my inappropriate choice of clothing.

2. December 31, 2009 10:05 pm

Happy New Year to you! Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂

I can relate to your blog so well. Wanted to grow up & do all those things I wasn’t allowed to, on New Year’s Eve, as a child… And now…

December 31, 2009 11:20 pm

Happy New Year!!
    Looks like a wonderful day! Those flowers look amazing.

4. January 1, 2010 6:13 am

Looks like a great time to spend New Year’s Eve anyways. Here’s to a wonderful year for your beautiful family!

5. January 1, 2010 6:15 am

Happy New Year!!! Looks like a great, low-key evening…we had one too 🙂

6. January 1, 2010 6:28 am

Ameena, your comments about NYE are so true. So true.
    Again, your pictures, words, and family are wonderful. Great food too 🙂
    I wrote a book review today and intended to ONLY write that…to be “normal” and more just…normal..for once (not personal and instead just write) in this new year….but i received some harsh thoughts from another person lately that made me inject some personal info. in the beginning before the book review…i hate that…cause its not who or what i want to be…but i would like your thoughts…think it would be better for me and my WRITING skills and for my blog on this January, 1-10, when i embrace acceptance to just erase that beginning stuff blurb and stick to the book review…or what??
    i really respect your thoughts as an excellent and knowledgeable writer.

• January 1, 2010 9:31 am

I think it is great to make book reviews relatable…otherwise we could easily find a summary of a book elsewhere. I enjoyed your review of the Nick Hornby book!

7. January 1, 2010 9:47 am

Happy New Year!!

What a beautiful day! Where do you live?? It looks warmer than it is here in Vancouver!

I agree – NYE is better as a relaxing day and night.

You and your family are beautiful – thank you for sharing the pics!

Have a great day and all the best in 2010!

XXOO

• January 1, 2010 2:57 pm

I love Vancouver! One of my favorite places to visit…I live in LA, hence the weather.

8. January 1, 2010 12:02 pm

Happy New Year! Your family is beautiful; your daughter is gorgeous 🙂

I spent new year’s eve at home quietly as well… it really does seem like a lot of fuss over one evening. Best to spend it with the ones we love.

Wishing you and your family the best in 2010 🙂

9. January 1, 2010 12:03 pm

I so agree with you about NYE. Im so much more of a stay in and watch movies type. I dont see the hype in battling traffic and packed bars so I can stand shoulder to shoulder with strangers while sipping a $20 watered down martini. haha. Just my personal opinion! Your turkey fajitas look so awesome. I love anything tex mex so those sure would have hit the spot! And what a gorgeous flower arrangement too! Happy New Years!! Fabulous photos of you and your family too.

10. Lynn at The Actors Diet permalink
    January 1, 2010 2:31 pm

happy new year! i’ve never been to franklin park before….looks beautiful

11. January 1, 2010 2:33 pm

Happy New Year!

We also stayed in and enjoyed the girls. Sounds like you had a great day 🙂

12. January 1, 2010 5:05 pm

Happy New Year! Your blog and you and your family are adorable! I love your take on NYE too – last night was fun but I think it’s definitely our last night going out on NYE – it’s too much work. Next year I just want to relax at my house with family. Mark my words! haha I think the picture is definitely printable!! If you’re worried about the colors just make it black and white!! 🙂

13. January 1, 2010 6:37 pm

Looks like you had a nice New Years! Where is the place you went for a hike? I’m always looking for new places to hike in LA. Also, I read Jemima J a few years ago and LOVED it too! I’ve since read every one of Jane Green’s books – they are all great.

• January 1, 2010 8:23 pm

Franklin Canyon is near Beverly Hills and Mulholland if that makes any sense. It is a great place to hike!

14. January 1, 2010 6:59 pm

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. You and your family are so beautiful!! Also, that spanish rice looks delicious!!

Happy New Year!! 🙂

15. January 1, 2014 12:10 am

I so agree with this post, NYE is totally overrated! The Hubster and I have spent the evening eating unhealthy snacks, drinking far too much Martinelli’s, and watching random videos on YouTube. I really do wish we’d thought about the Boboli in advance 😉 Honestly, it’s been one of the best NYEs I can remember. Sending big hugs to you and your family for 2014!

PS: Maya is such a happy kid, I love it 🙂