It’s Never Too Early

December 22, 2009

I have never been one to procrastinate.

For example, I never incur late fees because I always pay my bills several days early. I am also not that person who searches for the perfect gift on Christmas Eve because my gifts are usually wrapped and ready to go by December 15. I always have breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas at my fingertips, and several snacks readily available for Maya in order to avoid a potential meltdown. I keep barf bags for Maya in every car.  I have emergency kits, flashlights, water, and extra batteries stashed around our house in case of an emergency. And I started my New Year’s detox in November.

Is there such a thing as a person to procrastinates too little? If so, I believe I am one.

Because I like to live my life in an organized and scheduled way, people occasionally comment that I am too uptight.  I try not to take offense to this and explain that I am not uptight, but rather, a type “A” personality.  My brother (who is also a type “A” or in his case, a type “A+”) and I often discuss how we have difficulty overlooking those with a “fly by the seat of my pants” mentality. Consequently my brother and I both lack a bit in the friendship department.  Goes with the territory I guess. To be honest though, I don’t really mind not having friends if they thrive on disorder because I just can’t live my life that way.

Anyway, moving on the point of this post….I have been thinking, for a while now, about my goals for 2010. Instead of waiting until New Year’s Eve to finish them up, I figured why not today?  No procrastination here! So here they are, in no particular order.

1. I want to explore a possible career change.  While I do enjoy working in entertainment finance, my first love is obviously books.  I could read all day, every day.  Fiction, non-fiction, magazines, newspapers, blogs – just give me some words and I am a happy person. But since I don’t think anyone would pay me to read all day, every day, I would love for my career to be somehow related to reading and my goal in 2010 is to figure out how to make that happen.

2. I want to get something published.  My long-term goals include a novel that I have been working on and a book of short stories that I want to start working on.  In 2010, however, my short-term goal is to write at least one article and get it published, ideally in a magazine or newspaper.

3. I want to work on my patience.  One of my biggest weaknesses has always been my lack of patience.  Even when I am not in a rush I find myself in a rush!  I don’t understand why I can’t just relax and let things roll off my back (this includes those people with the aforementioned “fly by the seat of my pants” syndrome) and I am hoping that in 2010 I can make some progress on this.

4. I want to be a better mother.  When I compare Maya to other kids, I realize what a good girl she really is.  She rarely misbehaves and she is a happy, loving kid 98% of the time.  I want to do more things with her, one-on-one, so that we can improve our relationship.  I want to be able to give her my undivided attention for longer stretches of time.  In 2010 I want Maya and I to be closer.

5. I want to get better at yoga.  Thanks to a problematic knee I had to drastically cut back on my running.  So per my doctor’s advice, I began doing yoga instead in January of this year.  Initially I was really scared that not doing massive amounts of cardio would make the scale go up. But instead my appetite decreased and my weight did too. I have made a lot of progress this year with my yoga, not only in strength and flexibility, but also mentally. Whereas I never used to be able to do downward dog without a million things flying through my mind, I have been able to quiet my thoughts for a few minutes at a time now. In 2010 I want to get even better. And maybe even master a crow pose or two.

6. I want to do more for others. This year I was able to make some progress on this goal by not only donating money but my time too. I was even able to involve Maya in some of the charitable causes we took part in, and I would love to be able to do more of the same in 2010.

That about sums it up, for now at least.

So according to The Secret, if I put these things down on paper (or on a blog) and believe they could actually happen then the universe will make sure they do. While I don’t think The Secret has a ton of substance to it (after all, what book/movie/product/idea doesn’t turn to gold when Oprah touches it?) I do think that having concrete goals is one step closer to reaching them.  I’m looking forward to tackling these next year.

What are your goals for 2010 and beyond?

1. December 22, 2009 9:16 pm

I’m an on-and-off procrastinator, choosing to procrastinate on some things and not others… most of the time, it’s because I’m just so tired and don’t feel like doing anything at all. I do admire people like you who are super-punctual though!

My goals for the new year are to a) be at ease with myself (a very general goal) and b) to READ MORE. I haven’t had time to read for pleasure in too long…

• December 23, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks for your comment…let me know if you need any book suggestions, I have tons!

2. December 22, 2009 9:23 pm

thank you so much for the comment girl! i cant wait to read more. your list is AWESOME btw

3. December 23, 2009 12:46 am

Such admirable goals! 🙂

I think I’m a type-A procrastinator because I like things ordered a certain way, but I also for whatever reason get off on the thrill of leaving things to the last minute… My entire family though can relate to your “it’s never too early” 😉

• December 23, 2009 9:26 am

The phrase “it’s never too early” is an Indian thing isn’t it? 🙂

4. December 23, 2009 7:42 am

Ameena,
    That is so so fantastic. And I love them all. With regards to #1…I am the EXACT same…i LOVE reading and writing…i feel though that every time i sit to “start” work on a ficition or short story thing…I get a big big block…and never PRODUCE anything…but i am wondering if there is stuff to explore like publishing or editorial work…or if that is the wrong route…PLEASE help me out with tips and what to find…I am so confused
    I love your blog – so balanced
    i am afraid my post today was too strange…but that will end in the new year…in the new year i will make each post productive and not nonsence of a racing worrying mind 🙂

• December 23, 2009 9:27 am

Hi there – I will be happy to share anything I learn with you as I embark on this possible career change. I definitely think we are both on the right track maintaining blogs…I feel like my writing has improved already.

5. louisianagrown permalink
    December 23, 2009 7:50 am

I am SUCH a Type A personality, and I really can’t stand to be around overly laid back people. Luckily for me, most of my friends are the same, and I only see the ones who aren’t about once every two weeks. Small doses are much easier to handle!

• December 23, 2009 9:28 am

I agree…I can handle laid back people in small doses but then I start getting a bit frustrated when people are late, etc.

December 23, 2009 10:29 am

I am such a procrastinator its awful. But Im also super organized. I just put off the things I dont want to do. The fun stuff I have no problem getting done right away. Funny how that works eh?

7. Lynn at The Actors Diet permalink
    December 23, 2009 4:05 pm

i love setting goals! i do it all year round 🙂

8. December 23, 2009 4:28 pm

I have already made my 2010 goals too, have been picking at them for weeks. HAHA

I actually have been FORCED to learn to slow down and relax and not over plan, over do over over whatever.
    ha

Yoga is great for teaching us how to quiet our busy minds!

I love your list…LOVE IT. great great goals.

I have a couple “365 days of this and that”…yoga and green smoothies. more raw food, less sugar, get a run under my belt, get back to school sometime before the year lets out, more or less like that. More FOCUS this year. I was kind of all over the place last year.

9. January 28, 2011 11:00 am

This is a very important post, I was looking for this knowledge. Just so you know I located your webpage when I was searching for blogs like mine, so please check out my site sometime and leave me a comment to let me know what you think.