the onion

February 22, 2018

Today I asked my husband to buy an onion.

Ali: Where should I get the onion from?

Me: The cart guy on the corner sells onions.

Ali: It’s raining, do you think he’s out there?

Me: He was there earlier, when I came back from work.

Ali: Can I get the onion from Duane Reade?

Me: Why would you get the onion from Duane Reade? Do they even sell onions? Can you not walk 5 steps to the cart guy?

Ali: What kind of onion? White or red?

Me: Get a yellow onion.

Ali: YELLOW? They sell YELLOW onions?

Me: I REFUSE to answer any more questions about this. Just don’t come back without an onion.

Guess what?

1. Ali came back with a bag of 7 onions.
  2. They are all white.
  3. He also came back with the bag of 7 onions in ANOTHER plastic bag, which is just excellent for the environment.
  4. The bag was totally wet from the rain so it’s not reusable.

So now I have 7 onions, a plastic bag that can’t be reused, and my blood pressure just shot up 15 points.

In conclusion, my husband has a problem following instructions and I have a problem micromanaging. And now we have enough onions to last us the next month.

1. February 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Classic. Have missed your posts!

2. February 22, 2018 9:08 pm

This is 100% Ali behavior and I’m so glad you popped on your blog to share it with us. Hope you are doing well. Still thinking about coming to visit NYC in October. ❤

3. February 22, 2018 10:51 pm

You’re back! More please 🙂

• February 23, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks Shu!! Hoping I can be better about setting aside time for this…

4. Bernadette Callinan permalink
    February 23, 2018 1:25 am

bahahaha this cracked me up. I see things haven’t changed haha ( i was “iwasntbloggedyesterday” HOPE YOU GUYS ARE WELL. I lost my account details and cant get back in as i signed up with a defunct email address 😦

5. Priya permalink
    February 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Oh Gosh.. this is hilarious! So glad you are back. I was starting to think that perhaps Maya and Ali had stopped providing fodder for the blog. Lol..

6. February 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Glad to read a post from you, and of course, it’s a hilarious one at that 🙂 “They sell YELLOW onions?” – haha! Love it!

• February 28, 2018 6:31 am

Thank you Jolene…so nice of you to leave a comment!

7. March 1, 2018 12:59 pm

As usual, I half-side/feel sympathy for Ali! I would do much the same (and usually do…)