4 truths

August 20, 2014

Our vacation has been (almost) all about Maya for two reasons:

1. To appease my conscience that I pretty much ignored her this year in favor of my career.
  2. So that I could say, to her future therapist, “But we spent SO quality time together. Even our vacations! I’m not sure where I went wrong?”

At the highest point in Paris: the Sacred Heart Basilica of Montmartre (Sacre-Coeur).

Truth #1 is that the only thing Maya wants (besides rolls of Scotch Tape) is time and attention.

Truth #2 is that giving Maya time and attention is the HARDEST thing in the world.

And yet, during this trip at least, I think I’ve been doing a pretty decent job of it.

In Dublin...resting up for round 2 of "The Maya Show."

In Dublin…resting up for Act 2 of “The Maya Show.”

London: We played cards, Boggle, colored, and I selflessly spent hours waiting in the hot sun as she played in the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain.

Dublin: Ali and I headed here – without Maya – because I’ve heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder and I wanted to be fully prepared for round 2.

London: After working up additional courage in Dublin I once again gave Maya my undivided attention all over London – parks, restaurants, and the library. We even cooked dinner together (Truth #3: I lost it when she dropped an entire tub of sour cream on the kitchen floor).

Paris: Here’s where things got crazy – I was so inspired by my progress that I decided to leave my laptop behind before climbing on the Eurostar.

One of too many tea times, this one in Dublin.

One of too many tea times, this one in Dublin. Why can I resist every food except scones?

Maya was in shock. “But Mama, we are going to Paris for 2 whole days. You really aren’t going to take your laptop?”

I really didn’t. And somehow I didn’t miss it either. Instead we had hot chocolate and eclairs with friends at the Laduree, went swimming in our hotel pool, and rode ridiculously expensive rides at a fair ($10 for 5 minutes on a gigantic swing PER PERSON – how do people afford to live in Paris?).

Feeding the ducks at Hyde Park.

Feeding the ducks (an old scone) at Hyde Park. Better them than me.

We are now back in London where my conscience feels suitably appeased.

Which brings us to Truth #4: I think we are both looking forward to a little alone time.

About these ads
  1. Seana permalink
    August 20, 2014 4:38 am

Well, you can pat yourself on the back for doing the right thing. Not that there technically is a “right thing” with raising children. As far as truths #1 and #2, enjoy it while you can. It doesn’t last forever. Think of that Harry Chapin song, “Cat’s in the Cradle”.. Truth #4 fits me to a tee however pertaining to my husband. He works from home EVERY day and I am home as well (maintaining the house which is work). Does it make me a bad wife looking forward to him going to Chicago next week? :) Peace and quiet and no socks on the floor nor dishes on the counter :)

• August 21, 2014 10:55 am

You are not a bad wife…Ali and I have been attached at the hip for 4 weeks straight. I think we are both ready to have a bit of alone time. I hope to see a business trip in his future?

2. August 20, 2014 5:53 am

All the pictures are lovely and you look lovelier in the Dublin one. I think it was a great plan to have parts of your vacation with Maya and some without. Seems like a great recipe to relax.

3. August 20, 2014 6:12 am

That’s one amazing vacation. Maya is so lucky. I think you did fabulously

4. August 20, 2014 7:09 am

Any time spent physically together is quality time, no? Erm …. it’s not? I’m going to be be the worst mother ever ….

• August 21, 2014 10:56 am

I wish that was the case Razwana..then I could count Maya and I being in the same room while working on different iPad / laptops quality time. :)

5. August 20, 2014 8:29 am

Hooray for unplugging. Sometimes you just need to!!! Question: Did Ali unplug? I’m not sure I see that one happening. : ) What an awesome vacation. BTW-I will be in NYC next month and you will probably be gallivanting around the country somewhere.

• August 21, 2014 10:57 am

Of course not, although Ali did plug in a little less. :)

I will be in NYC next month! Please let me know when you plan to be there, would love to see you!

6. Lydia permalink
    August 20, 2014 8:42 am

Sounds like you guys had/have a great time and you did great! Every now and then we (moms) deserve a “me-time” alone.

7. Taking On Magazines permalink
    August 20, 2014 11:54 am

Trust me, I’d have had the same reaction if Sophie had dumped a whole tub of sour cream (not that that’s ever happened). It’s just a normal kid thing. They are phenomenally uncoordinated at that age. It looks like you’re having an absolutely stellar time!

• August 21, 2014 10:59 am

I felt bad later that I yelled at Maya but the floor was SO CLEAN right before it happened. And I guess I shouldn’t point fingers as I am phenomenally uncoordinated as well….

8. August 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Congrats on the freedom from the laptop!! Sounds dreamy:)

9. nadia permalink
    August 20, 2014 9:53 pm

wow meena!! paris already?? so envious….wanna be back right about now w you guys! looks fabulous, hope you’re totally indulging and relaxing for once;) so sorry i missed ur call, your fil called me by accident and was supposed to tell you to call me right back….please don’t give up….missing you all and can’t wait to catch up! xoxoxox

• August 21, 2014 11:01 am

He forgot to tell me! But I will try you again later. Miss you.

10. August 21, 2014 1:41 pm

That smile on Maya’s face tells me she’s loving all the time and attention. It is hard, isn’t it? Sometimes I wish the rest of the world would melt away so I could give all I have to my kids alone. But there’s always, always something. *sigh*

• September 3, 2014 6:41 am

Always something is right…which explains my VERY late response to your comment!!

11. August 22, 2014 2:18 pm

seems like you guys are having a wonderful time…and time spent without laptop is sometimes much needed. im glad you were able to do that.

12. August 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Sounds like it was an amazing time! Awesome of you to ditch the laptop for a couple days too :)

• September 3, 2014 6:42 am

It was an amazing time…and now back to reality!

13. August 26, 2014 10:00 am

Ha. I know how it is to holiday with kids ( plural)
    And, I used to feel so good when I would wake up before them & my husband.
    Some me time…:-)

• September 3, 2014 6:42 am

I love those minutes before the day starts and everyone else wakes up! Such a great time of the day.

14. August 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Best traveled kid ever! You get points for showing her the world and introducing her to tea time (which is essential to every mom’s sanity). Love love love that you guys are doing well :)

• September 3, 2014 6:43 am

It’s all about tea time….it’s my one HUGE GIANT weakness. Glad that you approve of it! :)

15. August 27, 2014 5:10 am

You behaved admirably, Mama! ;-)

16. September 2, 2014 4:24 pm

was maya alone when you went to dublin? And did you like dublin?

• September 3, 2014 6:44 am

Maya stayed with my in-laws who were thrilled to have her!

And yes I liked Dublin. Not sure it’s a place I’d return to. In other words, it’s not a Paris or London but it’s a beautiful place in it’s own way.

1. 4 truths