the takeaway

May 30, 2014

We went to Philadelphia for a last-minute trip this past weekend, where I proceeded to fall flat on my face, in the middle of a busy intersection, for no less than the third time this year.

(In case you are bored / want to laugh at my expense, you can read about one of my previous trips here.)

photo 3

My thoughts during my most recent “trip:”

My new and very ugly Keds may be comfortable, but maybe the fashion world is trying to tell me that ugly shoes are ugly shoes. And if I continue to wear them, I will continue to suffer the consequences.

Myself, my sunglasses, and the contents of my purse may be sprawled all over Sansom Street, but at least my favorite jeans are relatively unscathed.

If I don’t get up right now, I’m seriously going to get run over.

photo 1

Luckily, Philadelphia is not New York, and no less than three nice individuals ran over to assist. They guided me to the side of the road, offered to call someone, offered to get me ice for my knee, and then offered to drive me home.

I was kind of speechless. And that RARELY happens.

Philly Restaurants that I highly recommend: Parc, Twenty Manning Grill, and Farmicia.

My thoughts after my most recent “trip:”

My fall was probably karma coming back to bite on me on the !@#, since it happened minutes after I left Maya and Ali at a gelato place, insisting that I needed five minutes alone, where nobody was asking me if they could have more ice cream, another latte, and what were we going to do for dinner?

((In my defense, the entire weekend was spent alleviating my working parent guilt by making it the Maya show. I endured several children’s museums, 60 minutes at the US Mint, many parks, many gift shops, and the “Please Touch Museum” which, incidentally, made me want to throw myself into the Schuylkill River (Ali concurred).)*

photo 4

The takeaway from this post: I am severely uncoordinated, impatient, and lack an appreciation for museums. But my jeans are in good shape.

*Sorry for the double parenthesis. But mathematically, it works.

About these ads
  1. May 30, 2014 4:09 am

So glad to read your posts again. They are amazing and funny

2. May 30, 2014 5:03 am

Ah well as long as the jeans are in good Condition. .

I hope you feeling ok as such falls can be nasty sometimes..

Good people exist everywhere..bless them all who wanted to help..

• June 1, 2014 3:01 am

So many more good people in Philadelphia, that’s for certain…

3. May 30, 2014 6:01 am

People in NYC are always in a rush, but I guess you have to be in order to get anywhere!

Glad you’re ok…and that your jeans were undamaged. :)

• June 1, 2014 3:02 am

Thank you Parita! I’m sure you can relate to the important of undamaged jeans. :)

4. May 30, 2014 6:29 am

The domino picture collage…priceless. I’m also not surprised by any of this, so I’ll just say to keep the Keds, and I’m glad your jeans are still in good shape.

Also, I played that game last night where I looked for publishing jobs and apartments in NYC. You know, as if I’d ever get a job in publishing, not to mention one that paid enough to make it reasonable for me to live in NYC. I basically had to be “reasonable” and look at studios (aka closets), and even that was probably out of my price range. This is why I still live in North Dakota. I just wanted to let you know that I pretended I’d be moving close to you. :)

• June 1, 2014 3:03 am

I always dreamed of living in NY and getting a job in the publishing world…it seemed impossible. But guess what? It actually happened, and if I can do it, you can do it!

But yes, we live in a closet….

• June 2, 2014 2:58 pm

Curse the closets!

And did I know you had/have a job in publishing? I don’t think I ever knew that. That’s awesome!

• June 3, 2014 3:06 am

I didn’t work in publishing until I moved here so you probably didn’t know…most of my work has been in television so far!

Curse the closets…yes!!

• June 3, 2014 8:38 am

Good for you! That’s amazing.

5. May 30, 2014 8:36 am

I need to know more about these jeans, if that makes me sound selfish sorry. I am assuming that you are ok if you are blogging. Oh and love that you needed 5 minutes alone, that can’t be why you fell the universe has to get that,right?

• June 1, 2014 3:03 am

MIH Jeans are my favorite. Specifically the BONN style. I highly recommend Lauren!!

6. May 30, 2014 9:11 am

Glad to hear you weren’t too roughed up from your spill in the street! My mom had a similar incident when we went to Virginia a few years back and she ended up having to get stitches on her cheek and go to the ER. It was pretty scary!

Also, that “Please Touch Museum” sounds like a place I never, ever want to go.

• June 1, 2014 3:04 am

I’m very lucky I didn’t need to get stitches….your poor mom. I hope her cheek healed nicely.

7. Med permalink
    May 30, 2014 9:41 am

Lol! Maya said the “touch museum” was her favorite part! Maybe you need even more ugly shoes that have good ankle support?

• June 1, 2014 3:04 am

I fear that I’m headed towards the Croc store or something M….I need help with my footwear!!

8. May 30, 2014 9:47 am

just reading about the ‘please touch museum’ makes me super uncomfortable. i love philly though! & that double parenthesis was executed with style and grace. (lol.)

• June 1, 2014 3:05 am

Now that you point that out, the title of the museum is sort of awkward, right?

But thank you for considering my parenthesis stylish. LOL

9. Heather C permalink
    May 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Glad you’re okay and while I enjoy good fashion, at 40, I am with you on the Ked’s. I have a spiffy pair of white Converse I refer to as my “sensible” shoes because while I love ballet flats, walking miles in them is no good. Philly sounds like it was fun and like they take that brotherly love thing seriously.

• June 1, 2014 3:06 am

Are Converse comfortable? I was between those and the Keds but somehow the Converse made my feet look big. And my feet aren’t big so I’m not sure what my problem is? But I’m going to look into the Converse today I think. A trip to Macy’s may be on the agenda….

• Heather C permalink
        June 1, 2014 1:05 pm

The “Chucks” do make feet look big so I get the Jack Purcell version which keep me comfortable and keep people from screaming “Yeti” when I walk by.

• June 2, 2014 4:19 am

I will have to research Jack Purcell then… and also the term Yeti. Apparently I am just ignorant in many ways!

Thank you for the suggestion Heather!! :)

10. Tands permalink
    May 30, 2014 12:51 pm

OMG, the Please Touch Museum sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn’t make it through!

• June 1, 2014 3:06 am

It was a bit “touch and go” for me and Ali too Tands. LOL

11. May 30, 2014 1:12 pm

OMG that sounds awful! Falling as an adult is so embarrassing. Children’s museums. Shoot me now!!!

• June 1, 2014 3:07 am

So embarrassing. And yet I can’t seem to stop myself from falling. It’s bordering on the absurd now.

12. May 30, 2014 1:20 pm

i NEED some MIH jeans in my life. i’ve been wanting to try a pair for ages.oh gurrrrl if you think philadelphians are friendly then you’d think pittsburgh was straight up utopia. we are probably one of the nicest cities in the entire country!

• June 1, 2014 3:08 am

They are the best Melissa! MIH is sometimes on sale at Anthropologie too, which is great.

And a trip to Pittsburgh is definitely on my list. Thanks again for the Sofitel recommendation, the location was fantastic.

13. May 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Yes, at least the jeans are okay! Haha. And at least the food you had looks delicious—especially that bowl of oatmeal!

• June 1, 2014 3:08 am

The food in Philadelphia was some of the best I’ve had! Definitely a great food city.

14. Seana permalink
    May 31, 2014 5:04 am

Don’t sweat it. I fall and trip all the time. My latest took place in my living room with my loving husband to bear witness. I’m sitting in a chair with my feet up reading. I mention my foot’s asleep. A second later I go to stand up and fall flat full weight ass to the ground. I couldn’t feel my foot thus couldn’t stand. My husband couldn’t stop laughing. Be grateful your family didn’t see you fall…that is your silver lining in all of this. Be grateful your jeans are intact. When I fall outside, I usually rip a hole in the knee. This is based on many past experiences. I have a wedding coming up and am looking for safe shoes, I guess I can rule out Keds. The last wedding I went to I fell and messed up my ankle and couldn’t walk for a week. You are not alone.

• June 1, 2014 3:10 am

I’m sorry you seem to fall as much as me…are you tall as well? Maybe that has something to do with it. I feel (very strangely) that if I were a perfect 5’6″ I would be more coordinated. Not sure if I’m just nuts or what.

I would look into MIH jeans. Apparently they are very well reinforced in the knee area. LOL

Hope your ankle is better Seana!

• Seana permalink
        June 2, 2014 4:14 am

No. I got the midget genes in my family (probably not politically correct to say but eh, gotta live a little on the edge). 5’4″ on a good day. The saying should’ve been..”The smaller they are, the harder they fall.” Not bigger.

• June 2, 2014 12:40 pm

I really wish I was 5’4” – 5’5”. So many better shoe options out there….

15. May 31, 2014 5:58 am

Do you work remotely?

• June 1, 2014 3:10 am

Mostly I work in the office but when needed I can do some work remotely as well.

• June 1, 2014 4:34 am

Oh nice, so I suppose you transferred offices when you moved? I remember asking you before if you were a writer. Since you are so good at it! But I believe you said no….

• June 1, 2014 5:32 am

No, I’m not a writer but I work in publishing right now, in the finance area. I think that’s as close as I’ll get to being a writer. :)

16. Laurie McGuire permalink
    May 31, 2014 6:01 am

Surely there are comfortable shoes that aren’t ugly???!!! I have made an art form of such- since I am nearing the BIG 5-0 and can hardly wear heels anymore. Thank goodness for sturdy and comfie jeans!!

• June 1, 2014 3:11 am

I think I am footwear challenged Laurie. I’m going to look into Converse today…hopefully they will do the trick!!

17. May 31, 2014 9:05 am

Ha, you and me both. I fell this morning and hit my back super hard, i feel bruises a’commin’– not nice at all but glad to know I’m not the only one this stuff happens to.
    *kisses* H

• June 1, 2014 3:11 am

Sorry about your back HH. At least the bruises will not be visible!

I hope that you feel better!

18. June 1, 2014 2:52 pm

Ooooh bummer for the fall, I hope you’re ok! Funny that people were nice and helpful. I woulda guessed they were like NY’ers but I guess that’s a high bar :) And as always, the meals look fan.tas.tic!

19. June 1, 2014 7:45 pm

Laughing so hard because Keds are like “nice sneakers” for me :P Also, I fall all the time too! This one time I fell in front of 300 other medical students in a lecture hall at uni, and this other time, during a holiday in Singapore, I slipped while crossing a street, right in the middle of the road, and almost got run over by a motorbike. So yeah, you’re not alone!!!

20. June 1, 2014 8:35 pm

Ameena,
    I love and get a kick out of clicking into your fun adventures!
    Glad the jeans are unscathed! x

21. Lydia permalink
    June 2, 2014 8:45 am

Haha… every time I wear my white jeans, my kids (& my husband) are not allowed to go near me ;-) My comfortable walking shoes are Privo by Clarks. IMO, they look a better than Keds. Never been to Phillies, reading your story kind of change my mind.

• June 2, 2014 5:41 pm

I bought a pair of Clarks once (was in London and my feet were beyond tired). I have no idea what happened to that pair but I will need to check their store out again!

Thanks for the suggestion Lydia.

22. June 2, 2014 8:00 pm

Buhahahaokay i apologise but I have this insane need to giggle when anyone falls(including myself because God knows how clumsy I am and how many many times i’ve fallen and I decided it was best to simply laugh at myself)
    Love the jeans – I have never been able to find comfortable jeans and* refuse to spend over $20 bucks on one(and* should probably be because I)
    Anyways Im glad you’ve started posting relatively regularly :)

• June 4, 2014 4:32 pm

I used to be a GAP jeans person but once I discovered MIH I couldn’t go back.

Thanks for the compliment Anu, and for reading! :)

23. June 4, 2014 6:16 pm

I think I’m developing an addiction to your food photos. Decent restaurants in my city are few and very far between, and I’ve resorted to blogs to get my food fix now.

• June 6, 2014 6:57 am

Most of what I eat isn’t very photogenic…you see the best of it! :)

24. June 4, 2014 8:24 pm

I have read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how a lot attempt you set to make any such fantastic informative site.

25. June 5, 2014 11:18 am

Ignore any previous beliefs that will cause conflict with your new thoughts and affirmations of a happy and prosperous life.
    Selena Gomez told the story of Maria Ruiz and
    two cities – El Paso, Texas and Juarez, Mexico. He was quite determined and confident in pursuing his plans because they were mostly
    based on his own research.

26. June 6, 2014 10:40 am

With all the cobblestone streets here I’ve had to learn how to navigate around the dog poop and in the rain in flats, but I’ve still fallen twice in two months! Maybe the problem is flat shoes make everyone fall :)

27. June 11, 2014 9:36 am

I am sure if you fell in New York, the people would just walk over you and never stop!

28. June 14, 2014 11:03 am

Awww…you fell down, hope you didn’t get hurt much and hope you are fine now. Good to know that the people in Philadelphia are so helpful. Thanks for those restaurant names, these recommendations really help. Have a nice day!

29. June 18, 2014 8:54 am

One of those survey companies should come up with “10 best cities to fall in” or something for you! :D Jokes apart, I felt relieved reading that three whole people came to help – phew! What a relief compared to that nasty fall in snow last winter. Take care girl!