May 21, 2014

Because time and I have been at odds with one another lately, I’ve had no other choice but to relinquish control on many things.

Examples:

I kicked aside two pairs of Maya’s socks on my way to the living room because it was quicker than making her move them.

Dishes have been left in the sink overnight. Every night.

Chipotle has been our dinner more than I’d like to admit. (So why are there dishes in the sink? I don’t get it either).

photo 1

I wore the most wrinkled shirt to work the other day because locating and using the iron seemed like an insurmountable project.

Maya wore a similar ensemble for reasons mentioned directly above. (Plus I maintain that children’s clothing should never need to be ironed.)

Paying library fines is becoming the rule instead of the exception.

We won’t even address my need for a color, cut, and a keratin straightening intervention (any recommendations in NYC are welcome).

photo 2

You may be wondering: have I relinquished control on Ali’s life as well?

Well, the simple answer is yes. Meaning that instead of addressing the pile of pants he left near the front door (his passive-aggressive hint for me to stop at the cleaners) I simply stepped over them. And I also didn’t point out that his combination of orange jacket + orange shoes = too matchy-matchy.

Although I won’t lie, relinquishing control has been easier than expected because Delta Airlines has been Ali’s primary residence these days.

So a big thank you to Delta, for doing their part to keep the peace.

About these ads
  1. May 21, 2014 12:46 am

I wonder if they’ll send you a ‘you’re welcome’ response, since I imagine they receive more complaints than compliments …..

• May 23, 2014 3:17 am

I had to laugh out loud at this comment…I agree. But I think domestic airlines are trying to improve. Let’s hope they get there!

2. May 21, 2014 1:02 am

Wow if I had to do all that you do what with work, a husband, and a kid, I’d have relinquished long ago. Which is extreme coming from a Virgo like me, haha. Even without a spouse or child I’d have issues if I had to do much ironing:)

• May 23, 2014 3:18 am

Relinquishing causes many problems in Type-A people like ourselves….it’s hard to decide if it’s worth the stress. If that makes any sense?

3. May 21, 2014 4:02 am

I like how you pointed out Ali’s orange mismatched clothes. Made me laugh!

4. May 21, 2014 4:46 am

I so want a picture of Ali’s orange jacket and orange shoes. I want a husband who will wear orange.

• May 23, 2014 3:19 am

I actually applaud Ali’s efforts to dress out of the box…sometimes I think he’s on the forefront of fashion but then he’ll put something odd on and I’ll think NOPE!

5. gary permalink
    May 21, 2014 6:45 am

After sometime they’ll see nothing is where it meant to be, so they’ll have to collect every bit of mess they’ve created or eventually they will revolt against you!

• May 23, 2014 3:19 am

I fear a revolt is inevitable…that’s okay. I’m armed and ready to move out at any time! :)

6. May 21, 2014 8:15 am

I’ve also been leaving dishes, and I’d frequent Chipotle if we had one here (COMING SOON!). Instead of a cleaners, we have shared W/D in my complex. The clothes get stuck in the dryer (like, you have to yank them out), and it takes two rounds to fully dry them (sometimes twice isn’t enough). This is why I sometimes was clothes at my dad’s house or mom’s house. I guess they’re my cleaners, except they don’t do the cleaning. I’m just rambling now to hopefully help you justify recent behaviors and know that you’re not alone.

Also, Delta is wonderful. The cookies are my favorite, and getting me places safely is a bonus.

• May 23, 2014 3:21 am

So the BEST THING about Chipotle is their guacamole. I just order it on the side and eat it straight out of the container with a spoon. Sure it’s not visually very appealing to those watching me but when you try it you’ll understand.

And Delta is coming back…slowly but surely. The last few years have been good to them! Let’s hope they continue on an upward trend…

7. Seana permalink
    May 21, 2014 9:02 am

I too no longer pick up my husbands stuff other than to place it in his pile that continually is growing. I now don’t worry if he has clean pants to golf in or if his shorts are clean for the gym. I’ve quit trying to figure out what is dirty and is not. I’m not certainly smelling anything :) My clothes are clean and put away although I don’t iron either. It’s a hard thing to stop when you have personalities such as we. Don’t you have a dishwasher? Why is the sink full? It’s always something with these husbands and kids. It’s kind of like having Peter Pan run your house. Have a great day and ggood luck finding a reasonable hairdresser in NYC. I could recommend one by me but that wouldn’t help you unless you felt like taking a 4 hr road trip.

• May 23, 2014 3:22 am

I don’t try to figure out what’s clean or not either, I usually just go with the assumption that something is dirty. That way I don’t regret anything later on.

We do have a dishwasher, but apparently it’s just SO HARD for people to open it and place dishes in it. I don’t get it.

8. May 21, 2014 9:28 am

can you believe I just discovered chipotle last year and have only been 1 time!! I need to go more. Cooking is for the birds. I don’t blame you.

• May 23, 2014 3:23 am

Have you tried their guacamole? It’s really the only thing that keeps me coming back…

9. May 21, 2014 9:37 am

Okay, I’ve totally gone off tangent but have you tried Keratin straightening? If yes, what did you think? On my last holiday in NYC as a treat I got my hair done at Warren Tricomi in the Plaza which was so lovely. Best haircut ever and the stylist (i wish I remembered her name) was super lovely.

• May 23, 2014 3:24 am

No I haven’t tried it yet…definitely want to since Japanese straightening is out of the question now. I really want to find a reasonably priced place that I can keep going back to … I fear the Plaza is not reasonably priced! :)

• May 23, 2014 3:26 am

It was a great groupon deal 😜

• May 23, 2014 3:29 am

Well that makes sense! I need to look for one of those…

10. May 21, 2014 1:29 pm

I think Vishnu feels a sense of relief when I travel – there’s no one around telling him to pick up his socks. Haha! Although, he says it only lasts a day or two until he starts to miss me. Not sure how truthful that really is!

• May 23, 2014 3:24 am

I bet it’s very truthful! You seem like a really patient and good wife, from whom I could learn a whole lot. :)

11. May 21, 2014 9:08 pm

I have gotten good at relinquishing control (what pile of stinky socks in the living room?, what dirty dish left on the table?, what empty toilet paper role not refilled in the bathroom?), although I will say it comes occassionally bubbling back up with fits of anxiety, where in my head I think: bleep bleep bleep and other naughty, angry thoughts.

• May 23, 2014 3:25 am

I have the same running commentary in my head AT ALL TIMES. It’s very stressful for my mind to have numerous conversations at once, many of which include bleep, bleep, bleep and other angry words….

12. May 22, 2014 11:35 am

Relinquishing control…hopefully it feels more freeing for you!

When I first saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to be about an airline horror story (I’ve heard/have experienced enough of them with United Airlines…), but glad to see that Delta’s helping out in some way ;) . Plus, I’m not sure I could be mad at an airlines who gives out Biscoff cookies :P

• May 23, 2014 3:26 am

Trust me, I’ve had horror stories with all airlines (except Virgin Atlantic which gets nothing but kudos from me). But lately Delta has been picking up the pace! I am happy to say American has been as well.

Let’s hope the domestic airlines are on an upward trend…

13. May 22, 2014 10:13 pm

I’m an adult and I only iron my clothes when I know I’m going to be surrounded by people. Smoothing a hand over the crease and wishing it disappears doesn’t work too well, either.

• May 23, 2014 3:27 am

Even when surrounded by people my clothes tend to be un-ironed. I usually regret this later. And I agree, smoothing a hand over the crease and wishing doesn’t work well for me either.

Made me laugh though! :)

14. May 25, 2014 5:07 am

Have you tried the banana pudding at magnolia? people can’t stop raving about it when they visit…

• May 26, 2014 12:52 pm

I am not too much of a dessert person but Ali went through a Magnolia Banana Pudding phase – he was crazy about it! But then their confusing lines and rude service prevented him from feeding his habit….

15. May 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Heh, this kind of chaos is par for the course in our house these days so I’m sort of glad to hear you’re in the same chaotic boat. And when is Ali going to use all those frequent flyer points to send you on a relaxing vacation?! Happy long weekend friend! :)

• May 26, 2014 12:53 pm

The points are there for me to use, but I’m sure I’ll be waiting a long, long time for a relaxing vacation…. :)

16. May 26, 2014 2:45 am

Even though I’m laughing (as I always am when I come here) I do hope you can get a breather soon! Everyone needs time to get their hair done every once in awhile.

• May 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks J! I’m hoping to make it to Paris again this summer…would love nothing more than another lunch with you at Laduree…

17. Lydia permalink
    May 27, 2014 11:21 am

Hahaha… I think you need a vacation (by yourself maybe?) :-) I think I remember that Ali also has orange cashmere sweater? Talking about color obsession! :-)

• May 28, 2014 9:05 am

A vacation by myself for sure….but we both know that’ll never happen. :)

18. May 28, 2014 7:33 am

I really do like Delta airlines (more than others) they have their act together, so Ali- you’re in good hands. Take your hair to Juan Carlos at Rita Hazan, he’s lovely and a perfectionist.
    I don’t iron…ever.

• May 28, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for the suggestion Lauren…I’m a bit scared that Juan Carlos might be slightly over my budget but I think my hair needs a perfectionist’s intervention…