overlooking things

February 26, 2014

On the rare occasion when I somehow manage to overlook something I probably shouldn’t be complaining about in the first place, my eagle-eyed sidekick Maya will inevitably catch it.

And her most recent topic of choice to nitpick was Ali’s purchase of a pair of headphones.

Pictures from the last week: Me + Maya at Chelsea Market.

A few pictures from the last week: Maya and I had dessert at Chelsea Market. Or she had dessert and I watched.

So Ali is not a big spender.

I obviously comment incessantly on his addiction to buying things that require charging, but in reality? His annual spending on things that plug-in probably amounts to less than what I spend on Method cleaning products (so addicted to Method).

Also, now that we are car-less and don’t have to spend money fixing his car every ten second? I know I can’t really fault him.

Maya, however, didn’t get the memo and/or didn’t care.

Sunset in Chelsea.

We caught a pretty sunset in Chelsea.

Maya: “Mama, did you know that dad spent $200 on his new earphones? That a lot.”

Me: “That really is a lot. The sound must be really good though. Let me listen.”

Maya: “It’s not any different from my Hello Kitty earphones.”

Me: “You’re right. It’s not really that good.”

Maya: “Dad, me and Mom think your earphones aren’t really that good. You spent a lot of money for no reason.”

We found a heart shaped potato!

We found a heart-shaped potato!

Obviously Maya should have minded her own business here and I probably should have said so. But honestly, I’m just tired of being the bad guy all the time. So I figured I’d let Ali field this one.

He looked up from his laptop, made no comment, and then looked back down at his laptop.

This is often what happens when he knows that I/we are right (which is always) and secretly agrees with us but doesn’t want to verbalize the agreement in case it’s used against him in a future argument.

Which it will be anyway.

Lunch at Le Pain Quotidien.

We had lunch at Le Pain Quotidien.

But we all play the game, right?

Only the next time Maya and I decide to pick on something, Ali has the option of putting on his average sounding, overpriced earphones so he doesn’t have to hear us rambling on.

So maybe, in his mind, they’re worth $200 after all.

About these ads
  1. February 26, 2014 6:13 am

Omg Maya — this is too funny. I can’t imagine spending 200 dollars on earphones. I don’t even like spending the twenty dollars or whatever for regular Apple ones.

• February 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I use the Apple earphones too…they aren’t good but at least I don’t have to worry about losing them.

2. February 26, 2014 6:32 am

Maya is awesome and may be turning into a little you :)
    Need to see if le pain quotidien has made it to Miami yet …

• February 28, 2014 5:43 pm

LPQ is great…especially for kids.

Kind of amazing you have time to comment right now Sarah! :)

3. February 26, 2014 7:00 am

Haha! Love how Maya made that observation all on her own. Little Ameena?!

• February 28, 2014 5:43 pm

“Little Ameena”…Ali is shaking right now… :)

4. Jessie E. permalink
    February 26, 2014 7:43 am

Like awesome mother, like awesome daughter! She’s quite observant, isn’t she? And of course Ali knows you’re right. Now he knows there are two people telling him so :D

That heart-shaped potato is so cute!

• February 28, 2014 5:51 pm

She is observant…and nosy…and a bit rude. :)

Thanks Jessie…not sure anyone thinks we’re awesome, aside from you!

5. Taking On Magazines permalink
    February 26, 2014 8:00 am

Yeah, my kiddo is pretty good at saying it as she sees it too. Unfortunately, she’s an equal opportunity opinion-giver. Let me know what brand of headphones Ali got. I’m looking to buy a pair and want to avoid those. :)

• February 28, 2014 5:51 pm

I laughed out loud at that one…I can’t even find them to tell you the brand! Not unusual around here…

6. Seana permalink
    February 26, 2014 8:25 am

Ha. I just ordered headphones online last week. I paid 20$ for them and they suck. I was complaining last night to my husband. I guess I’ll call it a day and be glad I didn’t spend $200 on them. Kids always pick up on the things you don’t want them to. Love Chelsea Market…it’s amazing. I look at those lobsters they sell and want them. And I don’t even like lobster :)

• February 28, 2014 5:52 pm

I think earphones are crappy no matter what the price point. Even the Bose ones aren’t that good – they cut off the circulation in my ears too.

I love Chelse Market too! One Lucky Duck macaroons are the highlight.

7. February 26, 2014 9:41 am

That is a lot for headphones! But I will say my husband has some Bose headphones that I actually just enjoy touching! The ear pads are this soft leathery material and I kind of want a pair but I’m not sure that I’d use them enough to justify it. I just use cheapo ear buds.

• February 28, 2014 5:52 pm

I don’t recommend Bose…I have not been too happy with their earphones. They hurt my ears!

8. February 26, 2014 11:32 am

Sounds like Maya has a good head on her shoulders and will make a savvy shopper one day… until she discovers Burberry…

• February 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Luckily she isn’t into labels…yet. Let’s hope it stays that way!!

Target all the way. :)

9. February 26, 2014 12:05 pm

I love Method cleaning products!

10. Lydia permalink
    February 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Maya sounds like your mini-me and I think Ali knows that he’s in trouble.. :-)

11. February 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Glad to know maya is picking on things which is making her dad go silent… Though he is not ready to accept the fact that he spent a lot on all these stuff, he might start being a little careful when spending in future as there are two people watching him now!
    Cute pictures of Maya!

• February 28, 2014 5:54 pm

He really isn’t much of a spender…poor guy. We just won’t give him a break!

12. February 26, 2014 11:30 pm

She is such a smart kid. You don’t have to worry about her future :-)

• February 28, 2014 5:54 pm

So nice of you to say. I hope I don’t have to worry…but I’m sure I’ll worry anyway!

13. February 27, 2014 2:14 am

Tell Ali from me – they were worth every penny ;)

14. February 27, 2014 12:00 pm

hahaha..Maya is a smart one there.

15. February 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Love your closing sentence. The value of anything is how much one is willing to pay for it. Nice Potato, playing along the Valentines Theme :)

• February 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Absolutely. I learned that from my dad…really smart words.

16. February 27, 2014 6:58 pm

I love Method, too :) My husband isn’t really an electronics guy, but he IS a golf guy. Luckily, like Ali, he’s not really a big spender in other areas.

• February 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Golf is not something we spend money on around here…which is great because I hear golf is VERY expensive!

17. February 28, 2014 10:00 am

You got to try Bose, those headphones are totally worth the money. Plus they do noise canceling… ;) I think Ali would like that LOL.
    *kisses* H

• February 28, 2014 5:56 pm

I am not a fan HH! I tried them numerous times but they hurt my ears and don’t sound much better to me?

18. March 1, 2014 2:39 am

So the question is: how can YOU decadently spend 200 dollars? On your mark…get set…

19. March 3, 2014 10:16 pm

I use to love Method products and now my new go-to is JASON brand! I tried for the first time at my sister’s house and fell in love.

20. March 4, 2014 7:20 am

poor Ali.. not that it’ll make us stop ganging up on our husbands.. but sometimes poor them.

21. March 5, 2014 6:25 pm

I look forward to having a full time side kick once Gia is all grown up. Lately she tell daddy “Daddy you snole like this..wheeee..wheee” ha ha funny as hell.