home alone

February 12, 2014

As you may already know, last week was remarkable because I left Maya alone with Ali (or Ali alone with Maya?) for the first time ever.

This bears repeating: for the first time ever.

While dodging text and emails, I also saw my mom...

While dodging text and emails, I also saw my mom…

Things obviously started out rocky, beginning with an email asking how to use the washing machine.

This email came in while I was in flight and had no Internet (thanks to the fact my United Airlines plane – circa 1955 – didn’t have Internet capabilities, or much else for that matter).

Had lunch with my friends - including Nadia....

Had lunch with my friends – including Nadia….

This email was sent despite the fact that I washed every article of clothing, every sheet, and every towel in our place, prior to leaving.

This email was sent despite the fact that our washing machine – also circa 1955 – has so few options that even Maya could operate it.

And ate at a few of my favorite restaurants including Gulfstream (salad and biscuits) and Petros (early birthday lunch with friends)...

Ate at a few of my favorite restaurants including Gulfstream (salad and biscuits) and Petros (early birthday lunch with friends)…

When I didn’t reply fast enough on this laundry emergency, because apparently not having Internet access is just not a possibility in Ali’s realm (he obviously doesn’t fly United), I received a text asking “If I saw the email re: laundry.”

Yes, yes I did. I also saw the email and/or text re:

• Maya’s request for four desserts instead of three.
  • Her insistence that she didn’t want to go to art class and therefore didn’t have to go to art class.
  • The fact that someone forgot to purchase bananas and bread.
  • Etc.
  • Etc.

And took a walk with my amazing SIL on the beach.

And took a walk with my SIL (nicest person in the world) on the beach.

I could go on for hours but I’ll spare you.

The good news is that I flew home last night (on an American Airlines plane that did have Internet!) and everyone is still alive.

Re: the state of the kitchen, my orchid, and the hamper? Well that’s a whole other story.

About these ads
  1. Taking On Magazines permalink
    February 12, 2014 8:34 am

Hey, if everyone was still alive, I consider that a huge success. That means you can leave more often.

• February 12, 2014 6:18 pm

This is very true…I think I need to do just that.

2. February 12, 2014 8:42 am

I’m just glad you all survived the time apart! It looks like you have a wonderful vacation seeing family and friends. I’m sure the weather wasn’t so bad either. :)

• February 12, 2014 6:19 pm

The weather was really nice…chilly but nothing like NY!!

3. Brittany Creel permalink
    February 12, 2014 8:50 am

Glad you got a bit of a break…even if the orchids and hamper didnt make it out great :)

• February 12, 2014 6:22 pm

The orchid will be replaced, the laundry will be done. I’m glad I got a break before I have to take care of those things. :)

4. February 12, 2014 8:55 am

I laughed at the laundry machine fiasco. My bf is in charge of the laundry, but it has been a long journey since I started allowing him to do my stuff. As in, he didn’t know seperating colors and whites was necessary and we’re still working on a system for him to recognize what needs to be hang dried vs. thrown in the dryer. RIP 2 cardigans…

• February 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Hang dried v. dryer: you are a brave lady to embark on that explanation…

5. Lydia permalink
    February 12, 2014 9:38 am

Hahaha… hilarious! I can relate because my husband is the same thing and I’m not even away from home that like (probably like 2 or 3 hours). I’m glad that you had a great “me” time. Love the pic of you and your mom, just look at your glorious hair!
    So sorry though you’re back to another snow storm (it’s supposed to hit us – well, at least where I live – again tomorrow).

• February 12, 2014 6:24 pm

The storm waited for my return before it decided to return. So tired of traversing through snow!

6. seana permalink
    February 12, 2014 9:45 am

You knew what you were getting yourself into when you went away :) No one, and I mean no one, is allowed to use my washer and dryer. Got the beautiful Samsung front loaders (with pedestals) 2 years ago. The people who reside here are not to go near them. What in God’s name would they (your family) have to wash in a few days. Glad they did not starve to death and Maya got extra desserts. Ali was probably gaming or something and just said yes. Maya is one smart girl !

• February 12, 2014 6:25 pm

We had really nice front loaders in LA..I think they were LG? Anyway, they were new and so perfect. Loved them. Our rental here in NY has a stackable washer and dryer and old school knobs. I am not a fan!!

And to answer your question, Ali had a pressing need to wash his thermals. Again.

• seana permalink
        February 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Thermals. Crazy. Buy him some from LL Bean. They have silk ones which he could hand wash in the sink. Let me tell you, they are the best. Back from the days of snowmobiling. To die for, if you must wear thermal. Yeah, I know, the whole LLBean thing ) LG is good too. am hooked on Samsung for the moment.

• February 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Silk thermals? I had no idea such a thing existed. Now I know what to get Ali! Thanks for the suggestion Seana!

7. shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com permalink
    February 12, 2014 9:48 am

Haha – “Maya’s request for 4 desserts instead of 3″ – hahaha! I gotta give her kudos – desserts is stressed spelled backwards, and clearly she was stressed that you were not home ;)
    Glad you got to get away – so what exactly needed to be washed?

• February 12, 2014 6:26 pm

I believe Ali felt a pressing need to wash his thermals. Apparently 5 sets is not enough?

8. February 12, 2014 10:24 am

Everyone survived!! That’s quite an accomplishment :) Oh dear about the washing machine … it looks like you had a beautiful time – love the first pic of you and your mom and the last of the sunset.

I had to laugh at the “state” of your orchid – I considered hardy, and after a short time away, they’re black.

• February 12, 2014 6:27 pm

I have nothing close to a green thumb but I think our orchid wilted in record time while I was gone…

Thank you for your compliments Jessie!

9. February 12, 2014 10:51 am

Looks like you had a great trip! What a wonderful picture of you and your mom :)

10. February 12, 2014 12:05 pm

ummm………………Nadia…………………sigh

11. Heather C permalink
    February 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Isn’t ironic that as mothers we are responsible for so much and no one thinks twice about it but if you go away and leave the husband alone with the kids, it seems almost commendable to come home and find everyone in one piece. Forget anything else. I don’t know about you, but no one at my house is giving me kudos just for keeping the kids alive at the end of the day. 😀

As for your orchid, well, I might have to side with your husband there. Those things are finicky. My mother leaves me in charge of her orchids all summer while they go live at their other home and slowly, like some horticultural version of Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None”, I systematically kill each and every one.

• February 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Well said. I totally agree…nobody gives me kudos for much of anything, never mind keeping people alive.

Orchids are supposed to be easy to take care of? I’m confused how that can be the case. I need to buy some cactus (cacti?) and call it a day.

12. February 12, 2014 2:41 pm

As my mother says “there is only one mother” and at least in your case she/you got away?

• February 12, 2014 6:34 pm

I got away for five minutes…and now I’m back to being disregarded. Status quo. :)

13. February 12, 2014 2:56 pm

i was wondering how things were going with Ali and Maya alone.Well, seems like they had a fun father daughter bonding time..you knew you would be getting a lot of texts, email, nothing new right? I am glad you had a great time in LA though.

• February 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Not sure they had fun but they seem to be on talking terms right now, so that’s something!

14. glamorous glutton permalink
    February 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Now you know they can survive, more holidays!! GG

15. February 12, 2014 3:34 pm

My husband would have most definitely called in reinforcements (aka the grandparents), so I’m impressed with Ali.

• February 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Since we moved to NY we have nobody near us to help! Otherwise he would have moved in with the grandparents (his or mine), for sure.

16. February 12, 2014 8:22 pm

I know I may be in the minority, but Mr. Liverpool is a better housekeeper than me!

Love clicking here to experience your wild adventures, Ameena. x

• February 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks my friend…I love that you click here. :)

17. February 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Hopefully you will be more appreciated now that you are home. Did you ever figure out what he so desperately needed to wash?

• February 15, 2014 6:46 pm

There was an apparent urgent need for thermals…despite the fact he has 5 pairs, at least!

18. February 12, 2014 9:02 pm

It is nice to see you got a short break to see your family. I hope maya and Ali were not too lost without you! I left my son and husband once for 2 nights, no housework was done but I think they had a great time bonding!

• February 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Not sure if any bonding occurred, I know for sure no housework did!!

19. February 13, 2014 6:49 am

At least they survived!! It looks like you had a great trip – with LOTS of great food!! All those pictures are making me hungry! Also, your hair looks fabulous in that first picture. I feel like I say that a lot in comments on here, but, great hair deserves to be mentioned :)

• February 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Thank you so much for mentioning my hair!! I struggle with it so trust me, any and all comments about it are appreciated. :)

20. February 13, 2014 10:23 am

Mom, Friends and The Beach – I wouldn’t need much else. Glad you had a short but sweet break. I’m sure you’ll take care of the rest because as Mom’s that’s what we do! I wonder what Maya said to you when you returned?

• February 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Something along the lines of, “Can you do my hair today?” and then “What did you pack me for lunch?”

LOL

21. February 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Seems you had a super time with your relatives and friends. When I head out with my friends for a few hours I get several phone calls from my clueless husband. I can only imagine how many phone calls you might have got.

• February 15, 2014 6:48 pm

There were phone calls…and texts…and emails…and FaceTime….

Crazy but true.

22. February 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey Ameena, hope you are doing good, have been on and off of blogging lately and never got to read many of your posts… Hope you had a good time with your relatives and friends.. Yeah, sometimes the most simple things in life like turning the washing machine sees too complicated for our husbands :). Waiting to read your reaction seeing the situation of the house!!!

• February 15, 2014 6:49 pm

The house was in great shape, only because the housekeeper came on Tuesday, right before I got home!

Thanks for reading Deepti and for commenting. :) I appreciate it!

23. February 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Success! Maybe now you are don’t have to be as reluctant to leave them alone and you can plan for more ‘me time’ vacations. ;)

• February 15, 2014 6:50 pm

So true. I just have to have the housekeeper on call for the day I return! :)

24. February 14, 2014 7:40 am

Your mom looks great!!! It’s so nice to see all the green in LA, where here in KC we for now have “white”!

• February 15, 2014 6:51 pm

I’m back to the snow…it snowed AGAIN today!

Thanks for the comment Laurie…I hope warmer weather is coming your way. :)

25. Anjum permalink
    February 14, 2014 9:31 am

Some things you can’t put a price on! Great you were able to experience away time!

• February 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Absolutely! It was the first time ever…hopefully not the last.

26. Med permalink
    February 14, 2014 9:59 am

Oh no! Did the orchid die? :(

• February 15, 2014 6:52 pm

The orchid died…but Ali was able to exchange it, so that was good!

27. February 14, 2014 11:58 am

Please thank Ali for providing me with such amusement by pretending to act helpless. :-)

Your mom is so elegant. I can see where you get it from.

28. February 14, 2014 12:27 pm

You have made remarkable progress since I was last here Ameena!! Good for you :-) I still weigh the cons before I embark on a solo trip.

• February 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks Madhu…and thanks for the comment.

I agree…I’m sure each future trip will be an exercise in pros and cons!

29. February 14, 2014 2:35 pm

I love that picture of you and your mom. It made me smile. I’m with my mom too right now, and it feels wonderful to be with her again after a whole year.
    *kisses* H
    p.s. happy valentines day daaaaahling

• February 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Happy V-Day to you as well! I hope you are having a great time in FL with your mom.

30. February 16, 2014 9:34 am

Happy Valentines Day Ameena. I am seriously envious you got to get away AND see your mom. And since they survived you get to do it again :)

31. February 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Glad you had a wonderful time back in LA! And you surely did dodge the blizzard in NYC!!!