why a hypothetical person works.

December 4, 2013

Picture this “hypothetical” scenario:

You leave work to pick up your hypothetical 8-year-old.
You speed walk 30 blocks and 5 avenues, in 34 degree weather, instead of taking the subway.
You do this because the subway was delayed underground the day before and it nearly made you late for after school pick up.
And the thought of being late for after school pick up puts shivers down your spine.

At the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

At the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Aside from several new blisters (thanks Tory B.) and a rather strange interaction with a fellow pedestrian who appeared to be offended by the fact you were multitasking (apparently speaking to your mother on the phone is a crime), you get to school without incident.

Maya was thrilled with the dirty confetti, which I continue to find in my purse and coat.

You even get to school with time to spare and rejoice your hypothetical kid isn’t the last one there.
You’re ready for a hug or a happy “Hi Mama!”
Instead your kid could care less you’re there. Her first question is “What’s for dinner?”

It’s then you realize she’s more like her father than you originally thought.

It was very very very cold. As evidenced by our large coats.

It was very very cold. As evidenced by our large coats.

She hands you her backpack, her latest art project (you’re guessing this is a misshapen turkey but don’t want to vocalize this thought in case you’re completely off base), her lunch box, her hat, and her umbrella.
As you juggle these items, in addition to your own purse, laptop, gloves, and coat, she trots off towards the school exit without a care in the world.

It’s then you realize, she is a clone of her father.

Confetti obsession continued on for a while...

Confetti obsession continued on for a while…

You get home.
You unload the 15 pounds of stuff you’re carrying.
You see your hypothetical husband and you wait for a happy “Hi Hypothetical Person! How was your day?”
Your husband looks up from his computer for a second to say hello. Then he goes back to work.
A second later he looks up again and asks, “What’s for dinner?”

And that’s when you realize you wish you were back at work.
Where people appreciate you.
And don’t ask you what’s for dinner.

About these ads
  1. December 4, 2013 12:58 am

Note to self: if I ever get to meet you in person (gotta get to NYC someday!) my first question will be “when can I take you to dinner?”
    Alas I cannot do anything about the cold except send you some LA vibes:)

• December 4, 2013 4:43 pm

I hope you come visit NYC! And yes, I definitely look forward to going out to dinner. Anywhere!

2. December 4, 2013 1:27 am

Im sure your hypothetical people love and appreciate you more than you realise daaahling.
    *kisses* H
    p.s. how awesome is it that you went to the Macy’s parade! What was that like? Is it something you’d do again, or is it one of those things where once you’ve done it, its out of your system.

• December 4, 2013 4:44 pm

We’ve gone to the parade for a few years now and it’s great. But we definitely don’t stay for the whole thing! Even Maya’s like, “I’m ready to go if you are.” LOL

3. December 4, 2013 1:42 am

I love Maya’s joy ! :)

4. December 4, 2013 1:50 am

How true! I think it is the hypothetical people we see and hope to see in our real ones that keeps us going – As in basically makes us do the same thing all over again. On a brighter note – the pictures are wonderful as always. Love the third picture with the pearls showing. You should do that more often, I think :)

• December 4, 2013 4:44 pm

Thank you MWAD! Do I not smile with my teeth? I guess I never realized that until now. I will make more of an effort now that I just visited the dentist this week. :)

5. December 4, 2013 2:45 am

Hypothetically, the response should be, “whatever you’re cooking, I’m off out!”

• December 4, 2013 4:45 pm

Ali cook? That’s a lost cause. I’m pining my hopes on Maya though….one day.

6. seana permalink
    December 4, 2013 3:02 am

I get the “Where’s the food?” every Sunday when my son comes over to watch football. I state “I didn’t know when you were coming”. He says, “I told you after work”, To me, after work is not a time. It doesn’t change ever, even when they are older. They always want food.

Missed you in the city this weekend. We ended up in the Bronx on Arthur Av (Little Italy). If you haven’t been there yet, the deli’s are to die for. We ate at Roberto’s based on a recommendation from some people we met. Delicious! (and we parked on the street for free if you can believe that-NYC is normally at least 30$)

I would kill myself walking and using a phone. I just got my first smart phone. Unfortunately, so far, it appears to be smarter than me :) My 11th grade nephew told me the phone I got is wicked sick, which is a good thing. He will help me at Christmas.

• December 4, 2013 4:47 pm

I’ve never been to Little Italy. We went to the Bronx once, to the botanical gardens, which was really very pretty. Will definitely check out Roberto’s if we get there.

Wicked sick. I love it.

You leave the funniest, most fascinating comments. I really think you should have a blog of your own. You’d make me laugh with every post.

• seana permalink
        December 4, 2013 5:16 pm

Wow. What a compliment! I don’t have the confidence to blog unfortunately. I can’t believe you notice me and get my snarky comments.

We went to a wedding 4 years ago at the Bronx botanical gardens. Wonderful reception. Too bad it didn’t work out for them. Better party for his 2nd wedding in Newport RI :)

• December 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Thought I replied to this…apparently I did not! Sorry about that.

I LOVE your snarky comments. Make me laugh every time.

Sorry about the first wedding…fingers crossed for the second. :)

7. December 4, 2013 6:26 am

Love this post. This is what I have to look forward to in 8 years? LOL

• December 4, 2013 4:48 pm

I’m sure you are a much better parent than me JB so hopefully your 8-year-old will be a bit more polite. And a little less fixated on dinner. :)

8. December 4, 2013 6:52 am

My mom hated the “what’s for dinner” question! She’d ask us for suggestions and then get frustrated when we’d just shrug our shouldars! Lots of fun stuff to look forward to…LOL!

• December 4, 2013 4:49 pm

I feel your mom’s pain. I ask for suggestions all the time. I get NOTHING.

9. December 4, 2013 7:36 am

I can see myself getting there in about 6 years. Love the post. I’m sure your hypothetical persons love and appreciate you and “what’s for dinner” is there way of showing dependency and love for you :)

• December 4, 2013 4:49 pm

I wish they’d show love by cleaning up or getting me chocolate!!

10. Taking On Magazines permalink
    December 4, 2013 8:08 am

That question just proves that you’re a mom. Their worlds wouldn’t turn without you in it, my friend. You know, that third photo could very well be the first one I’ve seen with you showing those gorgeous teeth when you smile. It lights up your whole face and the photo. (You should do it more.)

• December 4, 2013 4:50 pm

How funny…I never realized I didn’t smile with my teeth. But you are the second person to mention it so I will make more of an effort.

Thanks for the comment MC!

11. Lydia permalink
    December 4, 2013 8:23 am

Hahaha.. I also hate that “what’s for dinner” so I never give my kids & my husband an even a split chance to ask me that. Instead I’m the one who announces it to them “tonight we’re going to eat ….”. Again, never give them a chance, they will soon learn who is in charge..;-)

Love all the pics. Your hair looks phenomenal!

• December 4, 2013 4:50 pm

First off…I hate it when I make something and they don’t eat it. So I try to ask for suggestions but that backfires too. So frustrating.

Secondly, thank you! I appreciate the kind compliment Lydia!

12. Hinna permalink
    December 4, 2013 8:37 am

That’s hilarious Ameena! Great pics by the way :)

• December 4, 2013 4:51 pm

Thank you Hinna. :) Love that you left such a nice comment!

13. December 4, 2013 9:11 am

I totally empathize with you Ameena for I have an extremely hypothetical husband. So far my daughter hasn’t turned into one. So I am just thinking that she is like me. I am keeping my fingers crossed though :)

14. nadia permalink
    December 4, 2013 9:50 am

hysterical!! i can imagine it all too well…and trust me, i know the feeling:) miss you guys! xo

• December 4, 2013 4:51 pm

Except that you are a fabulous cook and always have ideas and a full fridge. I wish some of that would rub off on me Nadia!

Miss you too.

15. Piya permalink
    December 4, 2013 3:54 pm

I could have written this post!!! this is my life with my husband and daughter. I get the same question everyday. “what’s for dinner?”, followed by “but I don’t feel like eating that.” frustrating!!!!

• December 4, 2013 4:52 pm

I really detest the entire conversation. I mean, it’s dinner? Who really cares, right? The goal is to not be hungry!!

And now that my rant is over, thanks for the comment Piya. :)

16. December 4, 2013 4:54 pm

Oh, my. Hypotheticals…I will say that my nieces have similar googley-eyed hats to Maya’s!

• December 8, 2013 4:51 pm

Cutest hat…and they are SO warm I wish I could wear one.

17. December 4, 2013 5:08 pm

This post was so fun to read—I couldn’t help but smile the whole way through.
    Maya looks like she was happier with the confetti than with any of the floats in the parade :P.

• December 8, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks P…I appreciate the nice words. And yes, the confetti was a giant hit. Go figure.

18. December 4, 2013 5:53 pm

Ah, the dinner question. My son has picked this up from his Dad and now I have to answer two annoying questions, just like you said!! By the way, Maya is every bit the fashionista, that cap is so cute!! I wish I lived in a place where it snowed, but I guess the grass is always greener (or whiter) on the other side!

• December 8, 2013 4:54 pm

Today it is snowing and it is really pretty. I don’t know if it’ll continue to be pretty when it turns to rain. I’m sure I’ll wish at that point that I was on the other side of the grass. LOL

19. sapna permalink
    December 4, 2013 6:25 pm

You are hilarious! I love reading your blogs.

20. December 4, 2013 8:16 pm

Loved the post. Don’t you have HIS day in your household. I do that with my husband. Couple of times a month, I will tell me to make a dinner and I don’t care what it is but I am doing noting that evening and he always manage to surprise me with good food :)

• December 8, 2013 4:54 pm

Ali doesn’t cook. I mean, he really doesn’t cook! That surprise wouldn’t go so well….

But I love the concept!

21. December 4, 2013 8:40 pm

So, what was for dinner anyway??

those pictures are a story of there own..i love’m. so cute!

• December 8, 2013 4:55 pm

I can’t even remember…it was likely as unremarkable as most of my concoctions are!

22. December 5, 2013 5:59 am

I love it! The T-Day photos are great! You look so happy to be there. Have a great day, Ameena!

• December 8, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks Fran! I appreciate the kind words, as always. :)

23. December 5, 2013 10:21 pm

Piggybacking on the first post, I’m going to NYC in Jan and would love to grab a bite! We missed each other last time by a few days.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

• December 8, 2013 4:55 pm

I would love to see you Tara! Just let me know your plans.

24. December 7, 2013 8:16 am

With you, I always start giggling before I’m two sentences in. Love this!

• December 8, 2013 4:56 pm

Thank you J…I always appreciate your nice comments.

25. December 7, 2013 2:42 pm

So funny… more Maya though. LOL. You have so much patience Ameena, I guess that probably comes from having a kid. Macys Day Parade looks fun, never been, but we used watch it back in the day on TV.

• December 8, 2013 4:56 pm

I have no patience Nisha. None. Not sure why you think otherwise as you’ve seen me in action .LOL

26. December 7, 2013 10:04 pm

I vote for matching purple owl hats for the Din family! And i can’t believe Ali is asking what you’re making for dinner, what with all the fantastic eat out spot in NYC (many of which you’ve already tried- so envious) :)

• December 8, 2013 4:57 pm

We eat at home during the week A…it’s too hard to coordinate dinner out on a school night. Sad but true.

27. December 8, 2013 10:15 am

SUPERB)
    You continually have a way to place a smile upon my face, A. Xx

28. December 8, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks GOODNESS it’s all hypothetical eh? ;)
    Hypothetically speaking – what did you make for dinner? :)

• December 8, 2013 4:57 pm

I honestly can’t remember Ken! It was probably not very good and certainly not worthy of all the questions that were asked about it. :)

• December 8, 2013 9:12 pm

Ha ha – well at least your family don’t ask ‘can’t we eat out tonight pleeeaase!’ – which is sometimes the response I get from mine when I cook! Yours must be at least ‘good enough’! ;)

29. December 9, 2013 5:13 am

Maya may be a clone of Ali, but she looks so much like you! Really beautiful photos, you all look so happy in NYC.

30. December 9, 2013 5:38 am

Haha! Extremely entertaining post – but you failed to mention – what (hypothetically) was for dinner?

31. December 9, 2013 11:45 am

Story of my life. Everytime either of my children sees me they say they are hungry. I think it’s psychological…