chilly

December 31, 2012

Ali does not like to be cold. He also does not like to be hot. So you can imagine how keeping Ali at exactly the right temperature can be a full-time job.

At home Ali’s temperature control is not too much of a problem because we live in balmy California. Plus, when Ali’s weather related issues get on my nerves I am fortunate enough to be able to hop in my car and escape easily.

Clockwise: Dinner at Masala Zone, Dinner at Buddha Bar, Tea at Harrods, Dinner at Giraffe

But managing Ali’s temperature on vacation can be…exhausting. Especially when we’re together 24/7. In chilly London. In December.

The first thing on our agenda here in London was not to have afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason. Nor was it to take a walk by the Thames or to eat a samosa at Masala Zone.

Instead we spent our first few hours hunting down the perfect jacket for Ali. With a hood and “Lots of pockets for my hat, gloves, and phone. Especially in the front.”

Lunch at Carluccio's

Lunch at Carluccio’s

Once that thankless task was over I was hoping to enjoy a cup of English Breakfast. Instead I found myself at Westfield assisting in the purchase of a super attractive pair of ear-warmers.

Which don’t make Ali look ridiculous at all.

Next we stopped at every shoe store in London until we procured the most perfect weatherproof, sheepskin lined boots. Appropriate for the London rain. Or our next foray into the icy wilderness of Antarctica.

A Louboutin Christmas Tree, The London Eye, Harrods, St. James Park

A Louboutin Christmas Tree, The London Eye, Harrods, St. James Park

In any case, now that we’re fully prepared for London’s weather we’re headed to even colder New York. And really, I’m just terrified.

And the question remains…why does everyone think I’m the high-maintenance one in this relationship?

About these ads
  1. December 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Happy and healthy New Year :)

2. December 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Happy New Year. I think that Christmas tree is what you need for Christmas. On the other hand why don’t you use concierge services to pick him up his warm NY stuff why you sip hot tea ;)

• January 1, 2013 3:47 pm

Wish I’d thought of that brilliant use of concierge’s services…

3. December 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Ameena, you look absolutely gorgeous in that pic!!

Happy New Year!!!

• January 1, 2013 3:47 pm

Happy New Year to you as well Priyanka! And thank you for the compliment. :)

4. December 31, 2012 6:27 pm

For a second I thought “earwarmers” was “legwarmers” and was picturing that…could be worse?

• January 1, 2013 3:48 pm

Legwarmers? I’m picturing Jane Fonda right now….

5. December 31, 2012 6:44 pm

My husband looked at the pic you took of tea at Harrod’s and said you guys wimped out LOL. When we were there this summer, we were somewhat limited in the touristy stuff we had time for due to our Olympic tickets (not complaining at all), but we had the HUGEST tea at Harrod’s. Clearly our waitress knew how to upsell.

Enjoy your trip, and Happy New Year!

• January 1, 2013 3:48 pm

Oddly enough I had zero appetite on this trip. Probably because we kept visiting a restaurant every 5 minutes? But usually we can do the huge Harrods tea, no problem. So good…

6. December 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Is the “pani” in that pani puri served in a beaker? I am both intrigued and weirded out :) Ali is just such great blog fodder! Happy New Year to your gorgeous family, friend. Glad you guys are celebrating it in ishtyle!

• January 1, 2013 3:49 pm

It is! The beaker was such a unique idea that I had to take a picture of it.

And a very Happy New Year to you as well!

7. January 1, 2013 1:55 am

Happy New Year! Did he find the ‘right’ jacket?

• January 1, 2013 3:50 pm

He found a “suitable” jacket…I fear the “right” one is not available anywhere in the world.

8. January 1, 2013 5:49 am

I was really hoping for a jacket photo. This weather stuff is serious business. Also I would like to have every single one of those meals. This post basically just made me really hungry.
    You look gorgeous, Ameena! Happy New Year!!

• January 1, 2013 3:50 pm

Thank you Heather! And a very Happy New Year to you as well!

9. Taking On Magazines permalink
    January 1, 2013 7:52 am

I agree with Azmina. I wish Hubby had as many cute quirks, though I guess if he did I’d have the high maintenance thing to deal with too, huh. Maybe I take that wish back. If you get a chance, please snap a candid of Ali in the ear-warmers, coat and boots, ok? Happy New Year, my friend!

• January 1, 2013 3:51 pm

The high-maintenance husband…I love it. And yes, I will get a candid photo…

Happy New Year to you as well!

10. Rufina permalink
    January 1, 2013 7:58 am

Happy New Year Ameena! I hope you and Ali have a fabulous time in New York, now that he is better prepared to face the elements! And I’m sure you both look very chic, no matter what you are wearing! ;)

• January 1, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks Rufina. I look very far from chic right now as I freeze my tail off in NYC.

Happy New Year to you as well!

11. January 1, 2013 8:17 am

–You are not high-maintenance!

Ali is! Haaa You take care of him, don’t you?

Happy 2013. Keep telling us your stories <3

• January 1, 2013 3:52 pm

Happy New Year to you as well! Thanks for the kind compliments and for reading…you are very sweet. :)

12. January 1, 2013 11:23 am

A very happy and a healthy new year to you and the entire Din Household..:) And you look gorgeous in the pic…I miss Maya here..

• January 1, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank you for the compliment! I am missing Maya too. :(

13. January 1, 2013 2:45 pm

I’m always cold! I’m freezing in my house in Cali right now as we speak so I can feel his pain! I’m rarely too hot though. Hope you can get his temp issues taken care of so you can enjoy London and NYC!!! Stay warm.

• January 1, 2013 3:53 pm

I am always cold too..and I am FREEZING here in NYC. But I don’t want Ali to say, “I told you so”…so I’m not mentioning that little fact to him!

14. January 1, 2013 2:57 pm

Now I want to see a photo of these ear warmers on Ali! Happy New Year!

• January 1, 2013 3:53 pm

Happy New Year my friend! And I will get a picture of these lovely ear warmers, I promise.

15. seana permalink
    January 1, 2013 4:21 pm

I think you both are equally high maintenance in different ways. Not in a bad way. In the winter my hubby won’t wear a coat. i; We get in the car. He jacks the heat up. I then turn down the heat because I’m hot. I tell him he needs to wear a coat like all the other people in upstate NY. He’s a lawyer, do lawyers not wear coats? I’m a germaphobe and a little ocd.. He a little ocd, but no germ issues. We try to work with each other I definitely think if he washed his hands more and kept his nails trimmed to an appropriate length I could deal better. But all in all I love him. Even when he drops hits and shoes in the middle of the floor.:0
    Happy New Year!!!

• January 3, 2013 5:40 am

“If he washed his hands more and kept his nails trimmed” my God I am laughing so hard right now!

Happy New Year to you as well Seana. And thank you for the great comment!

16. January 1, 2013 4:25 pm

hahahaha I think Ali is hilarious. I can understand his temperature issues though, I have an impossible time trying to regulate my body temperature. I’ll be at home, and dying of heat stroke, so I dress accordingly, then I go outside, or to work, and I’m freezing to death. I can’t win.

• January 3, 2013 5:40 am

I freeze to death at work every day…seems to be a common problem!

17. January 1, 2013 4:42 pm

I used to work at Carluccio’s! Spent a few months working in the offices above his Covent Garden restaurant entering catalog orders into their computer database. Fun times and lots of free Italian food!

• January 3, 2013 5:41 am

You used to live in London? So envious Heather. I hope to move there one day!

18. January 1, 2013 4:55 pm

Why is it your job to manage his temperature?

• January 3, 2013 5:41 am

Good question. I seem to have no answer for this? LOL

19. January 1, 2013 5:19 pm

I don’t mind getting too hot (I’ll just jump in a pool), but being cold? It’s the worst!!!!!! I complain about the cold here in Southern CA so you can imagine how horrible I’d be in London!!!

• January 3, 2013 5:41 am

I’d actually rather be cold than hot. I can’t stand heat!

20. January 1, 2013 9:17 pm

So funny! Very high maintenance man :)
    We need a photo of him in all the warm accessories!

Happy New Year and safe travels!

Katie

21. January 1, 2013 10:02 pm

You braved Westfield on BOXING DAY?? You are a brave soul, my friend…and must really love your husband! I heard it was total mayhem because of the Boxing Day sales! Ope you managed to shop for yourself in the process ;)!

Happy New Year, Ameena..wishing you all the best for 2013!

• January 3, 2013 5:42 am

It was mayhem but I didn’t buy anything. Prices in London are outrageous! As much as I love it there, shopping is way better and cheaper in the US.

22. January 1, 2013 10:03 pm

Well now I know what to get Ali for Christmas next year: I will knit him some mittens…will try to line them with fur. Given I am always cold myself, I can (almost) empathize. I am hoping you finally got to spend some time on your trip doing what YOU wanted to do. Happy New Year!

• January 3, 2013 5:43 am

Ali will treasure such a gift!

PS: I’m so impressed you can knit…mittens no less!

23. January 1, 2013 11:25 pm

Hahaha, come to the Canadian prairies! It was about -40 here last week! Ali wouldn’t make it ;-)

• January 3, 2013 5:43 am

I would never take Ali to Canada in the winter. Not even Vancouver. :)

24. January 2, 2013 5:20 am

I got the bf a winter coat for Christmas. As we were walking into the store, because I wanted him to pick it out (even though he swears he would have loved anything I bought), he goes, “well this shouldn’t take too long because I’m not picky about this kind of thing”.

30 coats later….

We found one. However, I’m fully convinced we would have gone to another store had it not been the week before Christmas and parking at the mall was an absolute nightmare.

• January 3, 2013 5:44 am

30 coats? I think that you may have us by a close margin Amy.

Happy New Year! I hope that 2013 is off to a good start for you!

25. January 2, 2013 5:53 am

Ha. Ali would probably not enjoy living in Boston. Talk about hot and cold. Agh. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

• January 3, 2013 5:45 am

We visited Boston only once during the winter time and it was for Ali’s MBA school interview. I don’t think we’ve made it back since then!

26. January 2, 2013 6:39 am

I’m disappointed…I was hoping for a photo of Ali in his completed outfit! ;-) Love the Louboutin Christmas tree! Not that I could Ever get my feet in them or walk in them! Happy New Year, Ameena!!

• January 3, 2013 5:45 am

I’m with you on the Louboutin’s…I don’t get it? I guess I’m not really a shoe person.

27. January 2, 2013 7:37 am

a loubi xmas tree=perfection and also i would love to take a dose of california sunshine right now. i’ve been living in my hunter wellies lately but i guess that would be appropriate for london too :) happy new year ameena!

• January 3, 2013 5:46 am

I want to get some Hunter boots…they are so comfy looking!

Happy New Year to you as well!

28. January 2, 2013 7:41 am

Happy New Year Ameena, Maya & Ali! How’s NYC? I hope you don’t have to deal searching for more winter coat for Ali there.
    Now I know why Ali is very hesitant to move to NY. The weather could be brutal in the winter, in fact, today’s temperature is 20 F (the highest), he won’t survive the weather and you won’t survive his complaints :-)

• January 3, 2013 5:46 am

NYC is great but it is very cold. I hear this is as cold as it gets? I hope that’s actually the case?

Happy New Year to you as well!

29. January 2, 2013 9:19 am

It sounds like he couldn’t be more equipped for NY. You might want to avoid the rivers and their bitter breeze.

• January 3, 2013 5:47 am

We were on Riverside Drive yesterday and I swear, I think Ali almost fainted. It was brutal, I must admit!

30. erika permalink
    January 2, 2013 10:54 am

Happy New Year Ameena and to your husband and daugter also.. Well I hope your husband gifted you with a pair of those Louboutins for all your running around for him ;) Hey and look forward to your post on your Anartica visit ;) lol ………Isnt it a wifes responsability to keep her husband warm??? ooops nuff said…

• January 3, 2013 5:47 am

Happy New Year to you as well Erika! I hope that 2013 is off to a great start for you!

And yes, I can’t wait for our Antarctica visit either. :)

31. January 2, 2013 10:59 am

London looks like an awesome time, despite Ali’s high maintenance shopping trips!

32. January 2, 2013 8:16 pm

OMG.. my husband is always whining about moving to CA cuz the tri-state weather gets to him. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one. The weather in NYC has been very cold… hopefully no snow. Can’t wait to see you tomorrow. The Loubou xmas tree is so pretty. I’m saving all these restaurants for my next trip to London… definitely need to check out Masala Zone. Sounds fantastic.

33. January 3, 2013 5:30 am

Bundle him up! It is freezing here!!! I beg to move to Florida or California daily… Cold weather is a downer.

• January 3, 2013 5:48 am

January is pretty rough, I’ll agree with that. But I really love the Fall and Spring here on the east coast….

34. January 3, 2013 9:28 am

I am whiny like Ali when it comes to cold weather and temp control is probably one of the major issue for me too :( however, I would have been prepared with everything Northface and UGGs and enjoyed Samosa, Thames, and afternoon tea. I am pretty intrigued by the way they served pani- is that a beaker? I am little jealous that you guys are headed to NY. Have a great time you guys :) can’t wait to hear how Ali will battle NY’s cold weather :P

• January 5, 2013 4:27 pm

I really wish I’d had my UGG’s on this trip but trying to pack them is just not possible!

And yes it is a beaker…crazy, right?

35. January 3, 2013 9:28 am

I ask myself that last question pretty often! :) Hope y’all had/are continuing to have lots of fun. And happy new year!

36. January 3, 2013 1:51 pm

I don’t know if you are still in NY but the past two days have been the coldest yet – lows of 20! I don’t like being cold either :(

• January 5, 2013 4:28 pm

We just left NY today and while at the airport I saw that it’ll be in the 40’s later this week! Talk about timing!

37. January 4, 2013 11:17 am

I produce snake heads when I am cold. Honestly. Something fierce comes out and rears its multiple ugly heads. Toes and the noggin have to remain warm! Priorities…I can always put my hands in my coat, but am deftly afraid of my toes freezing.

• January 5, 2013 4:29 pm

Snake heads? I love it.

And even in my boots and socks I felt like my toes were freezing off on several evenings…I totally agree!

38. January 5, 2013 7:37 pm

That Louboutin tree is gorgeous! Happy New Year :)!

39. January 6, 2013 6:20 am

Happy New Year Ameena! I know I don’t comment often, but I still love reading your blog and hearing about your adventures. xo

• January 7, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks for reading Gena! And thanks for taking the time to comment.

A very Happy New Year to you as well!

40. January 6, 2013 5:05 pm

Ameena dear,

I know I’m oh so late joining the party but here’s wishing you, Ali & Maya every happiness this New Year! I love that your blog is part of my routines and can’t wait for a year of chuckles (and sighs) with you!

You are guys are just to adorable for words and we were just as chilly as you – in Chicago this X’mas- minus the Harrods etc etc… :) of course.

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

• January 7, 2013 7:04 am

Hi Devaki – thank you for the kind words! And I can imagine how Chicago must have been SO MUCH colder with the wind chill.

Happy New Year to you as well! And as always, thank you for reading. :)

41. January 7, 2013 5:13 am

In general, I find people who think they are not high maintenance the most high maintenance. We’re upfront about our issues, right?

• January 7, 2013 7:05 am

So true…I think being upfront about being high-maintenance is really just half the battle….

42. Anamika permalink
    January 8, 2013 3:02 am

do you always look at the glass half full in an attempt to be funny? for once ameena, it would be good to read that you are grateful and thankful for all the blessings life has showered on you.

• January 8, 2013 6:26 am

Sorry that you don’t like/appreciate my sarcasm. I realize it isn’t for everyone.

43. January 8, 2013 11:03 pm

I can’t stand the heat, I’d rather be cold for sure. The heat takes it right out of me, especially as I get older for some reason.

This is hilarious. I just made my husband go through is side of our closet. He had twice as many belts, shoes, and the amount of dress shirts was nuts, even for Mormons who go to church every Sunday. :)

I love the pictures. The London Eye is so great. I have been on it! I can actually say it!!! Hope you are having a great New Year so far Ameena!!! Take care friend,

Shauna xoxxoxoxoxo

• January 9, 2013 9:53 am

Totally agree with you on the heat…I can definitely handle the cold temps so much better.

And funny enough Shauna I didn’t go on the London eye…the lines were pretty crazy! I’m sure it’s an amazing view though.

44. January 9, 2013 10:37 am

I don’t blame Ali at all, I can’t stand London weather in April!!
    Hope the year ahead is splendid in every way Ameena :-)

1. my left arm « Fancy That…Fancy This