As I write this, my 7-year-old is sitting in the living room with Ali’s laptop, unsupervised.
As if that isn’t bad enough, she is listening to LMFAO’s “I’m Sexy and I Know It” on Spotify.
Every ounce of me knows I should:
- Run over and shut the song off.
- Give Maya a lecture on how certain songs are for big people only.
- Make Maya repeat, “I will never say the word “sexy” at school. It’s not a word for kids.”
- Ask her why she has time to listen to trashy songs but no time to memorize her flipping subtraction flashcards.
- Give Ali a lecture about leaving Maya on the Internet unsupervised.
- Conduct a Q & A for the benefit of both my husband and child on the dangers of Internet predators.
- Spend some time feeling guilty that 90% of my day is spent nagging everybody around me.
Make no mistake, all of the above will eventually happen.
But right now I just really want to listen to the song.